2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
2005 Transmission problems
By Alton on 07/29/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Same problem, radiator leaked into the transmission, fried all electrical components in transmission. Even if the transmission was under warranty the radiator is only good for 3 yrs 36k. void transmission.

Wish I hadn't and won't again.
By Auburn on 06/23/10 01:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is not a well-built vehicle. Cheap plastic inside breaks, CD player kaput at 40k, washer fluid reservoir cracked and leaks out, fuel-sending unit/gauge out at 45k (Nissan hasn't included 05 in the recall of 06 and 08s -thanks for nothing- even though they know it's a defect), and now a problem with my transmission at 71k. Can't seem to get a specific diagnosis yet but I can guess what it is ---radiator leaking into the trans? Nissan hasn't paid for the fuel s.u. or recalled the defective part(s) leading to the trans failure. This was my 3rd Nissan. Time to trade and never buy Nissan again.

Don't buy this year
By angrycustomer on 05/20/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an awesome vehicle BUT there is a major problem with the radiator some torque valve. I had a vibration in my vehicle ~ 40 -50 mph took it to my mechanic. and guess what ~$1700 later, a KNOWN defect with the radiator. Causes antifreeze to enter the transmission fluid and transmission fluid to enter the radiator. I was lucky, it didn't trash my transmission which by the way costs ~$7,000 to fix. As sharp looking as this vehicle is its not worth the chance. Which is to bad, I loved it up to this point had an issue with the gas tank too, but I sucked it up and ate the ~800 to get that fixed. BUYER BEWARE!

Good vehicle
By ChadneyG5 on 04/23/10 22:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've really liked the Pathfinder. We've had a few issues, all which have been cleared up except the fuel sensor/gauge is erratic and inaccurate. There needs to be a recall for this as many people have similar problems with it. The side mirrors electric motors are erratic and the battery has mysteriously gone dead on several occasions (we've stopped using the headlights auto on/delayed off feature for this reason). We used to think the ride was quite harsh until we replaced the original General tires with new Michelins--Wow! What a difference! It was like getting a new car. When I stay off the pedal, the mileage is quite good. I can easily get 20+mpg. With a lead foot I get 15-17 mpg.

More Trani Problems
By SUVgirl on 04/15/10 11:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Pathfinder was my first new car! Loved it, until the problems started. First the fuel sending unit sensor went, but was under warranty, so it was fixed (2006). In 2009, with 75,000 miles on it, the transmission went. Same prob I'm reading about here - radiator leaked into transmission and ruined it. Had it fixed, but have since had problems with a solenoid and have had to have it towed two more times. And just when I thought I had had enough, the fuel sensor has gone again! Is there any recourse out there for us? This is our family car. Our 1992 Honda Accord is great, but it's had it's hey day - not really comfortable putting the three kids in it to travel anywhere far.

Nice SUV, but watch out for BIG problems
By ckayakdude on 03/21/10 01:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, have 67K miles now. No probs til now: the oft-mentioned radiator/transmission issue. $6K to fix. I want to sell the car, but wife effing-ADORES it (I do too, actually ... really nice vehicle ... accelerates like a banshee) so we'll probably get it fixed if we can't find anything she likes better. Worried about the oft-mentioned tensioner and fuel-sending unit problems since we haven't had those yet. This is a really fun SUV to drive, it's very comfortable, gets lousy gas mileage in the city (we've gotten 21 on the hwy before, though), but a 5-yr-old car shouldn't be having a $6,000 problem. If it has another, out it goes and I'll never buy another Nissan.

bullet proof tank
By KORUM1 on 03/16/10 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

our 2005 Nissan pathfinder off road is so tough yet stylish i can pack the whole fam around in style

Can't wait to trade this in!!
By stacy20 on 03/11/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had alot of problems with this SUV from the beginning! Now the transmission needs replaced at 56,000 miles and though it is covered under warranty, Nissan refuses to help with any of the cost! If you do not have one yet, do not buy one! They are unreliable and Nissan does not honor their warranty!

Transmission Warranty
By Earl on 03/05/10 17:56 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking at this site and seen there are alot of the same problems out there that I have seen in my 5 years of ownership. Just last year I had a new transmission put into my 58,000 mile Pathfinder and it was covered under the 5/60,000 warranty which should be a coverage that every dealer should be able to act on. Alot of these transmission problems are a result of the Radiator cooling lines are collapsing not allowing the tranny to be cooled therefore this is a manufacture issue and should be corrected especially if the vehicle is within the warranty period.

What a nightmare! Nissan Reliability? No
By InStPaul on 02/08/10 10:51 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

By reviews,either your Nissan has been perfect or a nightmare- like mine. I am a bit confused as mine reads like the story of all the others with the same repairs. So far-Evap canister rusted out.Fuel Sending unit failed Someone on here replaced FOUR of them and Nissan will not acknowledge it as a problem(check out NHSTA on this one though how this is not a huge safety issue is beyond me)Two U-joints replaced to no aval to cure vibration that happens when I decelerate at high speeds. Dealer can not figure it out. Coming home today after the ABS unit failed.Brakes have squeaked at different times since day one. Dealer said..."dusty" or "just Nissan" Nissan Corporate does not act/return calls