Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Keep looking if you want Reliability
By carbuyerone

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is quality and reliability. Our time owning this vehicle was beleaguered with numerous mechanical problems, break-downs, recalls and quality issues. The vehicle had chronic fuel pump and fuel sender failures (Google and read owner blogs). This resulted in the fuel gauge not working or fuel pump failing altogether. Fuel pump issues left us stranded twice (towed to dealer both times). We replaced the sender and fuel pump 3 times while owning. We had ball bearing and CV issues in the front end. We had the car battery explode once, leaving my wife stranded (towed to dealer again). We had the transmission slip out of drive a few times and one time out of 4WD while pulling the boat out on a ramp. The ECM (electronic control module) had to be fix/replace twice. The sliding moon roof rode off its track, became jammed and had to be completely replaced. The back lift gate pistons failed to keep the back gate open. The cargo board liner came undone (I fixed myself), passenger cup holders broke off (poorly placed by design). Styling molding covers on the roof rack came off on the highway. The banding on the exhaust heat shields rusted away resulting in a metallic rattle between the exhaust pipes and heat shielding which require re-banding (I fixed myself). The underbody shows far too much rust development for a modern make, this made me concerned about the vehicles long term handling of underbody rust. 2nd row passenger AC/heat control buttons kept coming off. The paint chips and scratches easily. The interior plastics are soft, also scratch easily and the lighter tone plastics are hard to clean. The font bumper cover cracked and tore pushing through a snow drift.

2005 Pathfinder along with its successive model years is a sporty looking, rugged and capable off road vehicle. We liked the looks, versatility, 7 PAX seating, towing capability and off road performance. Like many that choose to own SUVs we have several children, like to drive on the beach, like to get around regardless of weather conditions and pull a boat and jet skis during the summer months. The Pathfinder fits these needs well in an overall nice package.

Ride quality is lack luster. The truck resonates road noise while driving at any speed. Engine has a high rev/snarling during acceleration. The engine causes light interference in the radio speakers which makes a slight whine when the sound system is not on, this is distracting and annoying for front occupants. The cloth seats fray along the edged stitching near the doors. They donít come apart but it makes the seats look very worn prematurely. When 4WD is engaged (high or low), truck lacks the refinement in 4WD/AWD engineering. When in 4WD the engine rev increases significantly even at idle, steering becomes considerably more harsh to manage, if you get stuck the limited slip differential/traction control actually make getting unstuck more difficult. The Pathfinder feels clumsy and handles poorly in city driving conditions.

Nissan Finally Transmission/Radiator Issue!!
By koz5150

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To all those who have had the infamous transmission/radiator issues, I just received a letter in the mail from Nissan saying that while they are not creating a reacall for it, they are extending the warranty on the vehicle to cover this issue. They are extending the warranty to 96 months or 80K miles. While this is not the perfect solution, it should help a large number of owners. To those who already had to pay for a repair for this, it sounds like you will be able to get reimbursed for it. Hopefully you all will be receiving your letters shortly. While my 2005 Pathfinder has not yet had this issue, I just wanted to pass on the somewhat good news.

Strong V6, and so far it has been a reliable vehicle. Granted my '05 only has 45K miles, but so far so good.

Relatively boring interior design.

Omg, how did this happen?
By winson

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this really good Nissan Pathfinder SE, but 5 years later I regreted it. Just when I was done financing this car and when the warranty was done, the car broke down and I had to bring the car to a friend who inspects and fixes cars. He inspected it and said the "water boxe's" water went into the transmissioner and they had to fix it and they gave me a crappy 2002 Honda Accord. After 2 weeks, I got my car back. (Yesterday) And I paid him $4700 dollars and I drove her home. But at 4:00, I went to wash the car and clean the engine but when I saw the transmissioner and the water box, I saw that nothing was replaced or anything. It was all the same. So I just wasted $4700 for nothing.

Now I know never to buy Nissan again!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder
By nissanhater

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and is fun off-road and in the snow. Downsides are the door handles on rear doors are mounted to high for kids to use - plan on opening doors for them until they are about 7yrs old. 3rd row seating is ok for kids and adults the size of kids. Fuel sensor and window switches fail ealry-on. On many pathfinders the radiators are defective and leak coolant into the tranmission. Plan an extra $6500 for trany/radiator replacement. Get ext warranty and sell vehicle as soon as warranty runs out.

Vehicle is fun to drive on and off-road and in wet and snowy conditions.

Use external transmission cooler. Mount door handles lower for rear doors. Kids under 7 cannot open doors on their own due to height and angle placement of door latches.

Problems solved, hopefully
By dargon

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in July, 2010 with 82k miles on it from dealership without knowing what issues the vehicle had. After reading all the reviews I took preemptive measures and replaced the radiator myself, $200. Evap code tripped on the way home from dealership same day of purchase. Took evap canister out, found out a tab holding the evap valve in place was insufficient and zip tied the crud out of it and haven't had a problems with it. According to carfax report the fuel sender had already been replaced. Haven't had an issue with it since, but transmission has always made a small clacking noise when it makes its first shift after start-up, hope this is normal.

After test driving some other suvs, this one seemed the most car like and didn't feel heavy. The suspension is completely independent, so I attribute the handling to that. Seats are comfortable and the power is ridiculous for a V-6. Sunroof and 4x4 are nice. We put premium non-ethanol fuel in it and average 17-18 in town about 20-22 on the highway. We were putting the low grade crud in it and could only get 16 at best in town and 18 highway. By changing to the best fuel we actually save money. Strange how that works. Overall, I like the car a lot.

The third row is basically pointless, but would work if really needed. I would not suggest this for an avid third row user. Heads up display would be nice, as would the radio staying on after ignition is off. And auto door locks would be a huge improvement. Our 2000 Pontiac grand prix had all these options and were nice.