Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Wouldn't drive if it was free
By crynuno

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Think twice before ever buying one! My tranny recently went out for no apparent reason. The dealer said it had nothing to do with the radiator coolant because they are not connected. I ask then why would the tranny fail at only 83,000 miles?? Since I could not get an answer, I assume it is because it is a piece of garbage. I am trading in asap. Willing to take the hit on it just to get rid of it! I don't care to put up with the headache anymore.

2005 Pathfinder SE - Multiple Issues
By rushfanyyz

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 2008 with 32K on it, now have 89K and have been a member of every recall Nissan has issued and then some. First was the A/C console had to be replaced; fuel sending unit failed at 70K, ECM was replaced under recall at 85K. Now with 89K, the oil sending unit has failed and the torque converter inside the transmission is shot. It's at Nissan getting a BRAND NEW TRANNY from Japan at the toon of $4300 and low and behold, that brand new transmission is defective as well. Leaking fluid. Its Brand NEW and still has issues. 4-6 weeks before I get a replacement. Nothing but problems. Don't ever buy one of these vehicles. Selling it next year. Would rather walk instead LOL

Design of Truck, Strong Engine.

Extend Warranty to 120K, not 60K for powertrain Better Paint

Is It a Good One?
By jaredsalinger

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently, Nissan mailed me a warranty extensions on the radiator, because it might fail and leak coolant. Some 2005 Pathfinder owners have had the radiator fail, causing coolant to leak into the transmission and ruin it. I contacted my Nissan dealerships (2 in my area), and they tell me that there is no fix, and that the radiator has to fail before they can replace it. Really, Nissan?! Well then, I'm sorry, but I cannot support an automaker who engages in such practices. Ironically, my Pathfinder has been a great vehicle. So now, I'm left wondering if I got a good one, or if it's just a ticking time bomb.

Utility, Performance, Style, Comfort, Off Road Ability.

Be built by an automaker that stands behind its products with recalls, instead of hiding behind extended warranties.

Keep looking if you want Reliability
By carbuyerone

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is quality and reliability. Our time owning this vehicle was beleaguered with numerous mechanical problems, break-downs, recalls and quality issues. The vehicle had chronic fuel pump and fuel sender failures (Google and read owner blogs). This resulted in the fuel gauge not working or fuel pump failing altogether. Fuel pump issues left us stranded twice (towed to dealer both times). We replaced the sender and fuel pump 3 times while owning. We had ball bearing and CV issues in the front end. We had the car battery explode once, leaving my wife stranded (towed to dealer again). We had the transmission slip out of drive a few times and one time out of 4WD while pulling the boat out on a ramp. The ECM (electronic control module) had to be fix/replace twice. The sliding moon roof rode off its track, became jammed and had to be completely replaced. The back lift gate pistons failed to keep the back gate open. The cargo board liner came undone (I fixed myself), passenger cup holders broke off (poorly placed by design). Styling molding covers on the roof rack came off on the highway. The banding on the exhaust heat shields rusted away resulting in a metallic rattle between the exhaust pipes and heat shielding which require re-banding (I fixed myself). The underbody shows far too much rust development for a modern make, this made me concerned about the vehicles long term handling of underbody rust. 2nd row passenger AC/heat control buttons kept coming off. The paint chips and scratches easily. The interior plastics are soft, also scratch easily and the lighter tone plastics are hard to clean. The font bumper cover cracked and tore pushing through a snow drift.

2005 Pathfinder along with its successive model years is a sporty looking, rugged and capable off road vehicle. We liked the looks, versatility, 7 PAX seating, towing capability and off road performance. Like many that choose to own SUVs we have several children, like to drive on the beach, like to get around regardless of weather conditions and pull a boat and jet skis during the summer months. The Pathfinder fits these needs well in an overall nice package.

Ride quality is lack luster. The truck resonates road noise while driving at any speed. Engine has a high rev/snarling during acceleration. The engine causes light interference in the radio speakers which makes a slight whine when the sound system is not on, this is distracting and annoying for front occupants. The cloth seats fray along the edged stitching near the doors. They donít come apart but it makes the seats look very worn prematurely. When 4WD is engaged (high or low), truck lacks the refinement in 4WD/AWD engineering. When in 4WD the engine rev increases significantly even at idle, steering becomes considerably more harsh to manage, if you get stuck the limited slip differential/traction control actually make getting unstuck more difficult. The Pathfinder feels clumsy and handles poorly in city driving conditions.

Nissan Finally Transmission/Radiator Issue!!
By koz5150

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To all those who have had the infamous transmission/radiator issues, I just received a letter in the mail from Nissan saying that while they are not creating a reacall for it, they are extending the warranty on the vehicle to cover this issue. They are extending the warranty to 96 months or 80K miles. While this is not the perfect solution, it should help a large number of owners. To those who already had to pay for a repair for this, it sounds like you will be able to get reimbursed for it. Hopefully you all will be receiving your letters shortly. While my 2005 Pathfinder has not yet had this issue, I just wanted to pass on the somewhat good news.

Strong V6, and so far it has been a reliable vehicle. Granted my '05 only has 45K miles, but so far so good.

Relatively boring interior design.

• SUV