Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews - 367 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Radiator Assembly Problem
By cookdough

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Pathfinder used in October 2008. It now has 74,500 miles. I read all the horror stories about the radiator assembly so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I had the dealer replace it before the extended warranty even expired. I had no evidence of any problem but did not want to risk ruining the transmission. Woodbury Nissan in NJ charged $843 (parts & labor) to replace the radiator assembly, but the piece of mind was worth it.

Maybe if Nissan ever decides to recall, I'll be reimbursed. I'm not holding my breath. And yes... I'll never buy another Nissan.

Here's the thing...
By depmodealex

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

People complain about reliability..here's what I do. The tranny/radiator problem? I spent $200 bucks and PREVENTED the $6,000 failure by replacing the radiator myself. The problem with the secondary timing chains making a LOUD whining noise when you accelerate? Rather than pay Nissan $2000 to fix it, I paid $110 AT the dealer for the parts (which they already have packaged together because it's such a common problem with their VQ engines...which are in over 10 million vehicles, so they're NEVER going to do a recall) and fixed it myself.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending $400 bucks is better than $7000. Maintain your cars people, don't [non-permissible content removed] when you can prevent this

My truck, which i bought brand new in March of 05, is a beast. This vehicle is VERY heavy and powerful which results in POOR mpg (about 15 average) but it's so worth it. I love the interior room, 58 inches of rear hip room...so awesome. If only it had about 2 to 3 inches of rear legroom it'd be perfect. Overall, this vehicle has been very dependable. I love the hard plastic backs on the third row seats (which I hardly use), they're perfect for people with dogs or people who constantly haul things around.

I would LIKE to have no had to have spent money to replace my radiator and secondary timing chains, but I think this is still a reliable vehicle. The only real complaint or improvement I can think of is more 2nd row leg room wouldve been nice.

By far WORST Car I've ever owned in my life!
By nissansux3

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just read all the post on Coolant leaking into Transmission. Happened to me at 75K miles. We bought the car brand new and spent THOUSANDS on repairs and it was never without problems. Amazing how a company could keep selling a vehicle with SOOOOO many problems and then not do right by their customers.

NONE

Junk SUV and REFUND $$$$

STAY AWAY!!!!
By abradach

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car, i got mine a year ago from a nissan dealership and now i have the problem everybody else has with this car: the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission. now the radiator has to be replace along with the transmission. (thousands of dollars). they extended the warranty up to 80,000 miles, but this problem usually happens around 85,000 like mine. this was figured out only after spending about $1000 on useless repairs the nissan mechanics kept guessing at. This car has drained me and i will NEVER buy anything from Nissan again!!!

none

maybe build it with a radiator that doesnt ruin the transmission

bad car! bad car!
By venting67

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is RIDICULOUS!!! I bought this car used with only 36,000 miles, if that. This car has broken down soooo many times that I am both surprised and disappointed that the government has not stepped in and reprimanded Nissan. Other than normal maintenance, I have spent greater than $3000 in major repairs. I am soo over this car and will be trading it as soon as possible.