2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews 4

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Don't Buy 2005-2006 Pathfinders
By runnermcm on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am having the same problems that others have noted here and on the Edmunds discussion board about the radiator and the transmission. The tranny is failing, but Nissan of Omaha says they can't find anything wrong despite riding with me and it slipping (acts as if it is in neutral) - goes to 6 RPM and you say at 40 mph for a while - just one example. Woodhouse Nissan confirmed my problem but Nissan of Omaha has to be the one to fix it and so far they won't. The radiator was replaced after it flooded the tranny and they flushed it, but that didn't solve it. There are at least 3 class action lawsuits. I'm not letting it end here. I will keep all boards I post on updated with progress/advice.

My Six Machine
By B Dan on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my pathfinder used, and instantly loved it! It drove me all over the west coast mountain ranges to every family members house. It was comfortable to be in for long drives. It also did awesome on daily drives up and down a super windy curvy 20 mile highway to and from work. Never felt like a corner was too much for it. (Never felt top heavy). Could pack it full of stuff for camping and shopping at Costco. I never had any mechanical issues. It ran great! Just routine services. Great family car or single's car. Ended having to sell it because of tight finances, and am still kicking myself for it. Awesome car for me!

Transmission Issues...
By Mayra on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I to have a 2005 Pathfinder and like the other reviews on this site, I have had the same problems. The transmission is slipping and I just had to have a major repair with the coolant and fliud mixing together. There were no signs of this and suddenly while driving on the highway my car overheated. I also have the vibration of the car at certain speeds. It's awful that Nissan will not admit to the issue and resolve it. I have been telling Nissan (Meadowlands) about the vibrations since I purchased the vehicle and they just think its me. My mechanic indicated that he has never seen this happen. He couldn't believe that there were no warning signs either.

Fuel Sending Unit
By Grunt on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just paid $560 for the fuel sending unit and Nissan must do a recall as they know it is a problem part. If I don't get reimbursed in the next 6 months I will trade it and never buy another Nissan again. Also have problems with the service engine light going off when no problem exists and that cost me $50 on 3 different occasions.

If I Could Turn Back Time
By mommaT on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoyed driving this car, right up until the transmission blew. Our gas gauge hadn't worked in a long, long time. No big deal, I just reset the mile ticker each time I filled up. But what I will NEVER understand is how a 5 year old vehicle we bought NEW at the local dealer could be worthless. We did all the scheduled maintenance, used synthetic oil, treated her well. A 5 yr old car should not need 6,000+ dollars worth of work done. This is a design flaw in the coolant system and we should NOT be on the hook for it. Nissan should be ashamed! This was the only car we had that could haul our 2 small kids and now it's junk! I don't have money to fix it, and a new car is not the budget!

Be aware of Transmission/Fuel Problems
By karenlincoln on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are having a problem with our radiator coolant leaking into our transmission just like most 2005 yr models are having and also had to replace fuel sending unit (like other also). Both of which are a design flaw on Nissan's part and they are trying to get away with it and not own up to their responsibility. This is a costly repair- 471 for fuel sending unit and 6000 for new transmission/ 1200 for new radiator. So as you can see you can go out a purchase a very good used car for that. Nissan take care of your customers!

So far so good
By dglo on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Initially bought the vehicle because the wife wanted third row seats, and I currently own 2 Nissan trucks, a 1990 4x4 hard-body with 270,000 miles and only replaced the head gasket, and a 2001 s/c frontier 4x4 with 140,000 and have only had to replace the timing chain which is maintenance anyway, so I have been more than pleased with the reliability of Nissan trucks and was very comfortable in the purchase of the pathy, it currently has about 90; 000 mile on it and has run like a top, I have driven it all over the western United States on many occasions and never had a problem. Today the check engine light says that the tps sensor is malfunctioning, researching the web I found about the trans woes

Don't buy!
By Rice on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car drives well until you start having problems. The build quality on this vehicle and reliability are not good. We have had issues with this car. If you are in the market I would stay away from Nissan.

Problems with fuel sensor and bearings
By jim peck on 08/31/10 05:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I too had a fuel sensor problem. Did not have to replace the entire fuel pump only the sensor. Now it vibrates at high speeds and I am being told it is the bearings. More later.

Transmission problems
By Former Nissan lover on 08/23/10 09:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading several reviews about this car I am compelled to write my own. My 2005 Pathfinder is my third Nissan. I was going to purchase nothing but Nissan in the future. That has now changed. At about 70K miles the Fuel sensor failed then I stated to have trouble shifting. The coolant and transmission fluids were mixing due to a faulty line. These are major $$ problems. I bought another Nissan because I NEVER had a problem with my other two. I loved this car when I first saw it and I had to have it. When I finally got it I knew it was too good to be true.