Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

will never buy another nissan!
By dustman98

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my '05 pathfinder used in 2010 with 75K miles thinking I was getting a great used vehicle with excellent reliability. What ensued was a series of headaches that prompted me to trade it (at a loss) only 1.5 years later. I replaced the radiator only 8 months into ownership because it was leaking to prevent transmission problem that seemed prevalent among owners. Within 6 months, I noticed transmission making funny shifts and acting awkward. At the same time, CV joint deterioriated on front driveshaft (another common complaint) resulting in terrible roaring noise during high speed travel. Replaced both for $1300. Traded today to avoid problem..Get rid of as soon as possible!!

Bose stereo and engine

radiator/transmission, CV joints on driveshaft(s), and electrical components

Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed
By john534

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.

It is too bad that the powertrain design on this car is so poor. I enjoy the look and feel of the car and the interior and body of the car are very good. Over the past 20K miles the car has become way too unreliable. Throughout the life of the car I have had to repair a number of significant issues with the engine, suspension and electrical system. I used to think that I purchased a lemon but I have learned over time that this is just a poorly design car. The transmission/radiator failure is the final straw for me and the Nissan brand.

This is a known issue with Nissan Pathfinders. There are thousands of complaints on the issue with Nissan and there have been no actions other than raising the warranty to 80K miles. This is gross error in the design of the product and can cause significant injury depending on the timing of the transmission failure. I was lucky in that I had alittle warning before the transmission let go. I might have had a different result on the highway. Do people have to die to get Nissan to take responsibility for their incredibly poor design? I am done with Nissan as a brand and suggest that the Fed investigate their inaction in addressing this problem.

Wouldn't drive if it was free
By crynuno

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Think twice before ever buying one! My tranny recently went out for no apparent reason. The dealer said it had nothing to do with the radiator coolant because they are not connected. I ask then why would the tranny fail at only 83,000 miles?? Since I could not get an answer, I assume it is because it is a piece of garbage. I am trading in asap. Willing to take the hit on it just to get rid of it! I don't care to put up with the headache anymore.

2005 Pathfinder SE - Multiple Issues
By rushfanyyz

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 2008 with 32K on it, now have 89K and have been a member of every recall Nissan has issued and then some. First was the A/C console had to be replaced; fuel sending unit failed at 70K, ECM was replaced under recall at 85K. Now with 89K, the oil sending unit has failed and the torque converter inside the transmission is shot. It's at Nissan getting a BRAND NEW TRANNY from Japan at the toon of $4300 and low and behold, that brand new transmission is defective as well. Leaking fluid. Its Brand NEW and still has issues. 4-6 weeks before I get a replacement. Nothing but problems. Don't ever buy one of these vehicles. Selling it next year. Would rather walk instead LOL

Design of Truck, Strong Engine.

Extend Warranty to 120K, not 60K for powertrain Better Paint

Is It a Good One?
By jaredsalinger

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently, Nissan mailed me a warranty extensions on the radiator, because it might fail and leak coolant. Some 2005 Pathfinder owners have had the radiator fail, causing coolant to leak into the transmission and ruin it. I contacted my Nissan dealerships (2 in my area), and they tell me that there is no fix, and that the radiator has to fail before they can replace it. Really, Nissan?! Well then, I'm sorry, but I cannot support an automaker who engages in such practices. Ironically, my Pathfinder has been a great vehicle. So now, I'm left wondering if I got a good one, or if it's just a ticking time bomb.

Utility, Performance, Style, Comfort, Off Road Ability.

Be built by an automaker that stands behind its products with recalls, instead of hiding behind extended warranties.