Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 366 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Transmission oil cooler
By gowen1

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder at a mileage of 110k. After reading scary stories about radiator coolant mixing with trans oil, I decided to take a preemptive measure as suggested, i.e. disconnect coolant line from the radiator and add an external transmission cooler.
I took my vehicle to Volksdoctor. David, the owner, is very nice man.
When he was trying to find a spot for external cooler installation, he found there is a small cooler in the front of the radiator. Then he checked VIN online and found this vehicle has a separate trans cooler. I was so happy about it.
Thus, check your vehicle before you add one, you might have it separated already.

How to love your Pathfinder
By pfluvr

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Step 1 - Have your transmission cooling lines disconnected from the radiator! There is an external auxiliary transmission cooler that does the job already. The only problem you may encounter is hard shifting in extreme cold. You can, if you want put another auxiliary cooler on the truck, but unless you're maxing the towing capacity every day you will not need it. The stock cooler is very large.
Step 2 - You've basically now cured the only problem you will ever encounter, except for some little maintenancy things. Enjoy!

Gets 20mpgs while towing a 17' boat 250 miles with 4 large adults seated comfortably loaded with gear. Can outrun most cars at stoplights. Does not get stuck in snow ever. Is very comfortable on long rides. Looks awesome.

Make the little maintenancy type things go away. Fix problems like the radiator/transmission failure problem without screwing people by making them a recall issue.

Good Car
By kano1017

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Path used 3 years ago it's a 2005, I'm very happy with it then I started reading the reviews and got concern I know that this is a Nissan design issues but I was not going to wait till I have to pay a lot of $$ to get the radiator and tranny
fix so my friend and me started looking for some options and we found the solution so we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator to cool the tranny oil and put an independent oil cooler so now I will never need to be concern on this issue, cost to do this 70 buck's for the oil cooler + what you mechanic charges you. Good luck

Good motor with good hp, the Bosse audio system

this is a lemon...trying to make lemonade
By autophitie

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please research this vehicle...read reviews..and purchase something else for the safety of yourself, your family and other drivers on the road.
I had a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it used was happy driving it despite the finicky trans which always seemed okay as long as I continued my dutiful trips to the dealer for service...I had just purchased new tires and brakes for the vehicle
which I paid cash for at the time and wham at just over 102K mi the transmission went.
It was acting up for a few days with my kids in the car I only ventured to work and daycare ASAP got to to the shop..thankfully no one was injured when I was driving this vehicle...

cup holders, navigation

better customer service, informed technicians which might alert you to potential safety concerns regarding this vehicle. Nissan cannot go back in time and undo the transmission/radiator leakage problem but they could do right by their customers moving forward.

Coolant leaking into transmission fluid
By clausl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a known issue with Nissan 2005 and 2006 vehicles.
(Currently the subject of a class action lawsuit.)
Coolant leaking into Transmission destroys transmission, computer controlling transmission and radiator. Average cost for fix is ~$7,500 warranty extension offered by Nissan doesn't cover many drivers as the issue seems to often extend beyond the extended warranty of 8yrs / 130,000km. Some vehicles are not covered despite being within these two parameters.
Nissan refuses to say why some vehicles of that year/type are excluded.