2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Radiator Assembly Problem
By cookdough on 04/15/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Pathfinder used in October 2008. It now has 74,500 miles. I read all the horror stories about the radiator assembly so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I had the dealer replace it before the extended warranty even expired. I had no evidence of any problem but did not want to risk ruining the transmission. Woodbury Nissan in NJ charged $843 (parts & labor) to replace the radiator assembly, but the piece of mind was worth it. Maybe if Nissan ever decides to recall, I'll be reimbursed. I'm not holding my breath. And yes... I'll never buy another Nissan.

Here's the thing...
By depmodealex on 04/12/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

People complain about reliability..here's what I do. The tranny/radiator problem? I spent $200 bucks and PREVENTED the $6,000 failure by replacing the radiator myself. The problem with the secondary timing chains making a LOUD whining noise when you accelerate? Rather than pay Nissan $2000 to fix it, I paid $110 AT the dealer for the parts (which they already have packaged together because it's such a common problem with their VQ engines...which are in over 10 million vehicles, so they're NEVER going to do a recall) and fixed it myself. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending $400 bucks is better than $7000. Maintain your cars people, don't [non-permissible content removed] when you can prevent this

By far WORST Car I've ever owned in my life!
By nissansux3 on 02/15/12 07:21 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just read all the post on Coolant leaking into Transmission. Happened to me at 75K miles. We bought the car brand new and spent THOUSANDS on repairs and it was never without problems. Amazing how a company could keep selling a vehicle with SOOOOO many problems and then not do right by their customers.

STAY AWAY!!!!
By abradach on 12/19/11 11:59 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car, i got mine a year ago from a nissan dealership and now i have the problem everybody else has with this car: the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission. now the radiator has to be replace along with the transmission. (thousands of dollars). they extended the warranty up to 80,000 miles, but this problem usually happens around 85,000 like mine. this was figured out only after spending about $1000 on useless repairs the nissan mechanics kept guessing at. This car has drained me and i will NEVER buy anything from Nissan again!!!

bad car! bad car!
By venting67 on 12/07/11 06:58 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is RIDICULOUS!!! I bought this car used with only 36,000 miles, if that. This car has broken down soooo many times that I am both surprised and disappointed that the government has not stepped in and reprimanded Nissan. Other than normal maintenance, I have spent greater than $3000 in major repairs. I am soo over this car and will be trading it as soon as possible.

will never buy another nissan!
By dustman98 on 09/09/11 20:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my '05 pathfinder used in 2010 with 75K miles thinking I was getting a great used vehicle with excellent reliability. What ensued was a series of headaches that prompted me to trade it (at a loss) only 1.5 years later. I replaced the radiator only 8 months into ownership because it was leaking to prevent transmission problem that seemed prevalent among owners. Within 6 months, I noticed transmission making funny shifts and acting awkward. At the same time, CV joint deterioriated on front driveshaft (another common complaint) resulting in terrible roaring noise during high speed travel. Replaced both for $1300. Traded today to avoid problem..Get rid of as soon as possible!!

Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed
By john534 on 08/04/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.

Wouldn't drive if it was free
By crynuno on 06/07/11 11:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Think twice before ever buying one! My tranny recently went out for no apparent reason. The dealer said it had nothing to do with the radiator coolant because they are not connected. I ask then why would the tranny fail at only 83,000 miles?? Since I could not get an answer, I assume it is because it is a piece of garbage. I am trading in asap. Willing to take the hit on it just to get rid of it! I don't care to put up with the headache anymore.

2005 Pathfinder SE - Multiple Issues
By rushfanyyz on 05/09/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 2008 with 32K on it, now have 89K and have been a member of every recall Nissan has issued and then some. First was the A/C console had to be replaced; fuel sending unit failed at 70K, ECM was replaced under recall at 85K. Now with 89K, the oil sending unit has failed and the torque converter inside the transmission is shot. It's at Nissan getting a BRAND NEW TRANNY from Japan at the toon of $4300 and low and behold, that brand new transmission is defective as well. Leaking fluid. Its Brand NEW and still has issues. 4-6 weeks before I get a replacement. Nothing but problems. Don't ever buy one of these vehicles. Selling it next year. Would rather walk instead LOL

Is It a Good One?
By jaredsalinger on 03/07/11 06:29 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently, Nissan mailed me a warranty extensions on the radiator, because it might fail and leak coolant. Some 2005 Pathfinder owners have had the radiator fail, causing coolant to leak into the transmission and ruin it. I contacted my Nissan dealerships (2 in my area), and they tell me that there is no fix, and that the radiator has to fail before they can replace it. Really, Nissan?! Well then, I'm sorry, but I cannot support an automaker who engages in such practices. Ironically, my Pathfinder has been a great vehicle. So now, I'm left wondering if I got a good one, or if it's just a ticking time bomb.