Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Coolant leaking into transmission fluid
By clausl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a known issue with Nissan 2005 and 2006 vehicles. (Currently the subject of a class action lawsuit.) Coolant leaking into Transmission destroys transmission, computer controlling transmission and radiator. Average cost for fix is ~$7,500 warranty extension offered by Nissan doesn't cover many drivers as the issue seems to often extend beyond the extended warranty of 8yrs / 130,000km. Some vehicles are not covered despite being within these two parameters. Nissan refuses to say why some vehicles of that year/type are excluded.

Reliable transportation.
By screamingsloth

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Favorite Features

It has been reliable. The gas mileage is better than I expected. It weighs 5000 pounds after all . I get during my commute of around 20 mpg which is not bad for a truck based SUV. The ride is nice and firm and the suspension is responsive and surefooted.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission availability would be nice. Better standard sound system.

Has Been Excellent, but...
By

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 automatic new in January of 2006. It has been a great vehicle in every way, including reliability. The MPG has been between 8 off road in 4x4, 12 durring the worst winter driving around town in AWD, to 22 on high speed freeways in 2WD, to 24 on moderate speed county highways in 2WD.

Favorite Features

Utility is our favorite feature of the Pathfinder. It towes our things, hauls a good amound, allows us to pack down a lot of baggage on top, and take us and our friends just about anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

For over a year, I have been aware of problems with this model, especially the leaking radiator that allows coolant intot he transmission, which can requires a radiator replacement, and it can ruin the transmission. As a preemptive measure, one can replace the radiator with an aftermarket, espially NOT a Nissan OEM radiator. I looked online and easily found aftermart radiators for this Pathfinder model for around $200 (+/- $100). I also found service centers that will do the labor for about $150 (+/- $50).

Don't be Fooled by the Appearance. Don't Buy Nissan!!!!!!!
By byebyenissan

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had the same leaking radiator problem like many people with our 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was 2000 km over the extended warranty limit. We would bring the vehicle to Nissan dealership if we were made aware of the defect sooner. We asked Nissan for assistance. After many phone calls, emails, time spent collect past maintenance record requested by Nissan Canada and months of waiting, we finally got a reply. Below is my response to their reply. "Thank you [Nissan Customer Service rep] for passing the news that Nissan would not do anything for our loss and their defective automobile, and for wasting our time. I can assure you we will spread our words about the quality of Nissan vehicle, so less people will experience what we have experienced. I am happy to report that after this incident we have traded in our Nissan for a Toyota which we have been very happy with, and my dad has sold his Nissan for a Lexus. Even though the resale Nissan worths less than other vehicle of similar type and age, it's wonderful to got rid of our headache and future headaches. I will look forward to the day Nissan disappear from this world. Best of luck to all of you working for Nissan." We traded in the Nissan after replaced the radiator. Transmission was still working at the time, but we didn't want to take a chance of keeping a time bomb. The problem is well known among dealships of other car makers, so we got only $8000 for the trade in, but this is better than having to pay $5000 later on repairs. We had so many problems with this vehicle since we purchased it new from a dealership - noises, signal problem, gauge problem, etc. - and spent a lot of money fixing them including getting scammed by dealership (asked to pay for an item under warranty). What we experienced with Nissan is bad vehicle, bad service and ignorance. This is our one time experience with Nissan. Lesson learnt.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should recall all their radiators.

Transmission Problems
By kano1017

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading all this reviews I decided not to wait and / or pay a lot of $$ to get this fix, so what we came up with is totally different cost effective and it works great, I know that this is a problem with the Nissan design but I bought it so now is my problem here goes, we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator and put an independent oil cooler to the side of the radiator with this little gadget you can be sure that you will never ever have this problem again and the transmission oil will be more cooler with this modification so the tranny will work better, cost to do this = 60 buck for the oil cooler, 15 buck to add transmission oil to the oil cooler and that's it well + what you