2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Reliable transportation.
By screamingsloth on 08/29/12 08:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Here's the thing...
By depmodealex on 04/12/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

People complain about reliability..here's what I do. The tranny/radiator problem? I spent $200 bucks and PREVENTED the $6,000 failure by replacing the radiator myself. The problem with the secondary timing chains making a LOUD whining noise when you accelerate? Rather than pay Nissan $2000 to fix it, I paid $110 AT the dealer for the parts (which they already have packaged together because it's such a common problem with their VQ engines...which are in over 10 million vehicles, so they're NEVER going to do a recall) and fixed it myself. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending $400 bucks is better than $7000. Maintain your cars people, don't [non-permissible content removed] when you can prevent this

Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed
By john534 on 08/04/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.

2005 Pathfinder SE - Multiple Issues
By rushfanyyz on 05/09/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 2008 with 32K on it, now have 89K and have been a member of every recall Nissan has issued and then some. First was the A/C console had to be replaced; fuel sending unit failed at 70K, ECM was replaced under recall at 85K. Now with 89K, the oil sending unit has failed and the torque converter inside the transmission is shot. It's at Nissan getting a BRAND NEW TRANNY from Japan at the toon of $4300 and low and behold, that brand new transmission is defective as well. Leaking fluid. Its Brand NEW and still has issues. 4-6 weeks before I get a replacement. Nothing but problems. Don't ever buy one of these vehicles. Selling it next year. Would rather walk instead LOL

Omg, how did this happen?
By winson on 01/01/11 10:40 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this really good Nissan Pathfinder SE, but 5 years later I regreted it. Just when I was done financing this car and when the warranty was done, the car broke down and I had to bring the car to a friend who inspects and fixes cars. He inspected it and said the "water boxe's" water went into the transmissioner and they had to fix it and they gave me a crappy 2002 Honda Accord. After 2 weeks, I got my car back. (Yesterday) And I paid him $4700 dollars and I drove her home. But at 4:00, I went to wash the car and clean the engine but when I saw the transmissioner and the water box, I saw that nothing was replaced or anything. It was all the same. So I just wasted $4700 for nothing.

Crap, it happened to mine also!
By Paul on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, I just bought this pathfinder and traded my other 2 decent vehicles in on it thinking that since this is a Nissan it would last forever and it was newer than my other 2/well as soon as I bought it it started jerking bad and come to find out it is of course the trans and radiator/and as of right this minute it has been in shop for over a week having trans rebuilt and radiator replaced at the expense of the car dealership luckily. I love this vehicle but Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix their junky parts! Once the radiator leaks antifreeze in trans it is messed up. Good luck and hopefully mine will be like new now

Nissan quality sinks
By welshy on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Extremely problematic and the reviews don't tell the issues that this generation is experiencing. Problems to date at mile occurred Fuel sending unit 57K Front U -Joint 57k Catalytic converters (all) 71K Engine 75k (due to converter failure, pieces got into the engine) transmission failure do to design issue with radiator (class action lawsuit pending, I have luckily not had this issue to date)

2005 Transmission problems
By Alton on 07/29/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Same problem, radiator leaked into the transmission, fried all electrical components in transmission. Even if the transmission was under warranty the radiator is only good for 3 yrs 36k. void transmission.

Don't buy this year
By angrycustomer on 05/20/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an awesome vehicle BUT there is a major problem with the radiator some torque valve. I had a vibration in my vehicle ~ 40 -50 mph took it to my mechanic. and guess what ~$1700 later, a KNOWN defect with the radiator. Causes antifreeze to enter the transmission fluid and transmission fluid to enter the radiator. I was lucky, it didn't trash my transmission which by the way costs ~$7,000 to fix. As sharp looking as this vehicle is its not worth the chance. Which is to bad, I loved it up to this point had an issue with the gas tank too, but I sucked it up and ate the ~800 to get that fixed. BUYER BEWARE!

Nice SUV, but watch out for BIG problems
By ckayakdude on 03/21/10 01:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, have 67K miles now. No probs til now: the oft-mentioned radiator/transmission issue. $6K to fix. I want to sell the car, but wife effing-ADORES it (I do too, actually ... really nice vehicle ... accelerates like a banshee) so we'll probably get it fixed if we can't find anything she likes better. Worried about the oft-mentioned tensioner and fuel-sending unit problems since we haven't had those yet. This is a really fun SUV to drive, it's very comfortable, gets lousy gas mileage in the city (we've gotten 21 on the hwy before, though), but a 5-yr-old car shouldn't be having a $6,000 problem. If it has another, out it goes and I'll never buy another Nissan.