2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
I am torn on this review...am I one of the lucky ones?
By andybisnut on 04/25/14 09:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck but I am torn on the review. I had the issue where the transmission cooling lines failed, causing coolant to get into the transmission. The car would "rumble" when the torque converter engaged. Installed new radiator and flushed the heck out of the transmission. 30,000 miles later, fingers crossed, the tranny is still OK. I haven't had to replace it. Otherwise, the Patfhfinder has been virtually bullet-proof. It's been our go-to road trip car and it's survived many brutal MN winters. Great truck. If the tranny issue didn't exist it would get a perfect score. Seriously powerful engine with lots of sound and fury. :) MPG isn't great...maybe 17-18 MPG on average.

Transmission oil cooler
By gowen1 on 01/14/14 07:08 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder at a mileage of 110k. After reading scary stories about radiator coolant mixing with trans oil, I decided to take a preemptive measure as suggested, i.e. disconnect coolant line from the radiator and add an external transmission cooler. I took my vehicle to Volksdoctor. David, the owner, is very nice man. When he was trying to find a spot for external cooler installation, he found there is a small cooler in the front of the radiator. Then he checked VIN online and found this vehicle has a separate trans cooler. I was so happy about it. Thus, check your vehicle before you add one, you might have it separated already.

How to love your Pathfinder
By pfluvr on 08/28/13 12:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Step 1 - Have your transmission cooling lines disconnected from the radiator! There is an external auxiliary transmission cooler that does the job already. The only problem you may encounter is hard shifting in extreme cold. You can, if you want put another auxiliary cooler on the truck, but unless you're maxing the towing capacity every day you will not need it. The stock cooler is very large. Step 2 - You've basically now cured the only problem you will ever encounter, except for some little maintenancy things. Enjoy!

Good Car
By kano1017 on 01/30/13 13:55 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Path used 3 years ago it's a 2005, I'm very happy with it then I started reading the reviews and got concern I know that this is a Nissan design issues but I was not going to wait till I have to pay a lot of $$ to get the radiator and tranny fix so my friend and me started looking for some options and we found the solution so we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator to cool the tranny oil and put an independent oil cooler so now I will never need to be concern on this issue, cost to do this 70 buck's for the oil cooler + what you mechanic charges you. Good luck

this is a lemon...trying to make lemonade
By autophitie on 09/06/12 20:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please research this vehicle...read reviews..and purchase something else for the safety of yourself, your family and other drivers on the road. I had a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it used was happy driving it despite the finicky trans which always seemed okay as long as I continued my dutiful trips to the dealer for service...I had just purchased new tires and brakes for the vehicle which I paid cash for at the time and wham at just over 102K mi the transmission went. It was acting up for a few days with my kids in the car I only ventured to work and daycare ASAP got to to the shop..thankfully no one was injured when I was driving this vehicle...

Coolant leaking into transmission fluid
By clausl on 09/06/12 15:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a known issue with Nissan 2005 and 2006 vehicles. (Currently the subject of a class action lawsuit.) Coolant leaking into Transmission destroys transmission, computer controlling transmission and radiator. Average cost for fix is ~$7,500 warranty extension offered by Nissan doesn't cover many drivers as the issue seems to often extend beyond the extended warranty of 8yrs / 130,000km. Some vehicles are not covered despite being within these two parameters. Nissan refuses to say why some vehicles of that year/type are excluded.

Reliable transportation.
By screamingsloth on 08/29/12 08:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Has Been Excellent, but...
By on 06/05/12 06:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 automatic new in January of 2006. It has been a great vehicle in every way, including reliability. The MPG has been between 8 off road in 4x4, 12 durring the worst winter driving around town in AWD, to 22 on high speed freeways in 2WD, to 24 on moderate speed county highways in 2WD.

Don't be Fooled by the Appearance. Don't Buy Nissan!!!!!!!
By byebyenissan on 04/26/12 10:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had the same leaking radiator problem like many people with our 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was 2000 km over the extended warranty limit. We would bring the vehicle to Nissan dealership if we were made aware of the defect sooner. We asked Nissan for assistance. After many phone calls, emails, time spent collect past maintenance record requested by Nissan Canada and months of waiting, we finally got a reply. Below is my response to their reply. "Thank you [Nissan Customer Service rep] for passing the news that Nissan would not do anything for our loss and their defective automobile, and for wasting our time. I can assure you we will spread our words about the quality of Nissan vehicle, so less people will experience what we have experienced. I am happy to report that after this incident we have traded in our Nissan for a Toyota which we have been very happy with, and my dad has sold his Nissan for a Lexus. Even though the resale Nissan worths less than other vehicle of similar type and age, it's wonderful to got rid of our headache and future headaches. I will look forward to the day Nissan disappear from this world. Best of luck to all of you working for Nissan." We traded in the Nissan after replaced the radiator. Transmission was still working at the time, but we didn't want to take a chance of keeping a time bomb. The problem is well known among dealships of other car makers, so we got only $8000 for the trade in, but this is better than having to pay $5000 later on repairs. We had so many problems with this vehicle since we purchased it new from a dealership - noises, signal problem, gauge problem, etc. - and spent a lot of money fixing them including getting scammed by dealership (asked to pay for an item under warranty). What we experienced with Nissan is bad vehicle, bad service and ignorance. This is our one time experience with Nissan. Lesson learnt.

Transmission Problems
By kano1017 on 04/16/12 15:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading all this reviews I decided not to wait and / or pay a lot of $$ to get this fix, so what we came up with is totally different cost effective and it works great, I know that this is a problem with the Nissan design but I bought it so now is my problem here goes, we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator and put an independent oil cooler to the side of the radiator with this little gadget you can be sure that you will never ever have this problem again and the transmission oil will be more cooler with this modification so the tranny will work better, cost to do this = 60 buck for the oil cooler, 15 buck to add transmission oil to the oil cooler and that's it well + what you