Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

My Six Machine
By B Dan

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my pathfinder used, and instantly loved it! It drove me all over the west coast mountain ranges to every family members house. It was comfortable to be in for long drives. It also did awesome on daily drives up and down a super windy curvy 20 mile highway to and from work. Never felt like a corner was too much for it. (Never felt top heavy). Could pack it full of stuff for camping and shopping at Costco. I never had any mechanical issues. It ran great! Just routine services. Great family car or single's car. Ended having to sell it because of tight finances, and am still kicking myself for it. Awesome car for me!

Favorite Features

I loved this car! Everything about it!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing ever bugged me enough to say that it needed to be better

Transmission Issues...
By Mayra

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I to have a 2005 Pathfinder and like the other reviews on this site, I have had the same problems. The transmission is slipping and I just had to have a major repair with the coolant and fliud mixing together. There were no signs of this and suddenly while driving on the highway my car overheated. I also have the vibration of the car at certain speeds. It's awful that Nissan will not admit to the issue and resolve it. I have been telling Nissan (Meadowlands) about the vibrations since I purchased the vehicle and they just think its me. My mechanic indicated that he has never seen this happen. He couldn't believe that there were no warning signs either.

Suggested Improvements

After reading this website with all of the same complaints, Nissan should recall this vehicle. It's obviously not an isolated case.

If I Could Turn Back Time
By mommaT

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoyed driving this car, right up until the transmission blew. Our gas gauge hadn't worked in a long, long time. No big deal, I just reset the mile ticker each time I filled up. But what I will NEVER understand is how a 5 year old vehicle we bought NEW at the local dealer could be worthless. We did all the scheduled maintenance, used synthetic oil, treated her well. A 5 yr old car should not need 6,000+ dollars worth of work done. This is a design flaw in the coolant system and we should NOT be on the hook for it. Nissan should be ashamed! This was the only car we had that could haul our 2 small kids and now it's junk! I don't have money to fix it, and a new car is not the budget!

Favorite Features

I loved it when it ran. Didn't know we spent 30,000+ on a vehicle that would blow up in 5 years time.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps working out the kinks in your design BEFORE you sell the unsuspecting public your hunks of junk!

Transmission problems
By Former Nissan lover

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading several reviews about this car I am compelled to write my own. My 2005 Pathfinder is my third Nissan. I was going to purchase nothing but Nissan in the future. That has now changed. At about 70K miles the Fuel sensor failed then I stated to have trouble shifting. The coolant and transmission fluids were mixing due to a faulty line. These are major $$ problems. I bought another Nissan because I NEVER had a problem with my other two. I loved this car when I first saw it and I had to have it. When I finally got it I knew it was too good to be true.

Favorite Features

Room, sporty, fun to drive until the problems arise.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the car! Too many problems reported by too many people. Own up to your failure.

Don't Get a Nissan
By Chyna

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend anyone to buy a Nissan vehicle this is including the pathfinder that I have purchased. The brakes make squealing noise, the vehicle make rattling noise, the back row is so uncomfortable and the worst problem is the air conditioner. I have taken this vehicle on many road trips and has to stop every 2 to 3 hours because the air conditioner would blow out hot air. I took it to the dealer and they told me that they can't fix it. I have two young kids and each time this happened, I would have to stop on the side of the road and let it rest for an 1 or 2 before we can drive it again. This is not safe at all. I will fight with their headquarter to get this fixed!

Favorite Features

None! Worst vehicle, will not recommend to any consumer

Suggested Improvements

Brake and engine make squeaky and rattle noise, poor quality, service. I need help with the air conditioner and Nissan can not get this fixed for me. It is blowing out hot air after 2 to 3 hrs of driving.