2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Sort Reviews by

Good Car
By kano1017

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Path used 3 years ago it's a 2005, I'm very happy with it then I started reading the reviews and got concern I know that this is a Nissan design issues but I was not going to wait till I have to pay a lot of $$ to get the radiator and tranny fix so my friend and me started looking for some options and we found the solution so we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator to cool the tranny oil and put an independent oil cooler so now I will never need to be concern on this issue, cost to do this 70 buck's for the oil cooler + what you mechanic charges you. Good luck

Favorite Features

Good motor with good hp, the Bosse audio system

this is a lemon...trying to make lemonade
By autophitie

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please research this vehicle...read reviews..and purchase something else for the safety of yourself, your family and other drivers on the road. I had a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it used was happy driving it despite the finicky trans which always seemed okay as long as I continued my dutiful trips to the dealer for service...I had just purchased new tires and brakes for the vehicle which I paid cash for at the time and wham at just over 102K mi the transmission went. It was acting up for a few days with my kids in the car I only ventured to work and daycare ASAP got to to the shop..thankfully no one was injured when I was driving this vehicle...

Favorite Features

cup holders, navigation

Suggested Improvements

better customer service, informed technicians which might alert you to potential safety concerns regarding this vehicle. Nissan cannot go back in time and undo the transmission/radiator leakage problem but they could do right by their customers moving forward.

Coolant leaking into transmission fluid
By clausl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a known issue with Nissan 2005 and 2006 vehicles. (Currently the subject of a class action lawsuit.) Coolant leaking into Transmission destroys transmission, computer controlling transmission and radiator. Average cost for fix is ~$7,500 warranty extension offered by Nissan doesn't cover many drivers as the issue seems to often extend beyond the extended warranty of 8yrs / 130,000km. Some vehicles are not covered despite being within these two parameters. Nissan refuses to say why some vehicles of that year/type are excluded.

bad car! bad car!
By venting67

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is RIDICULOUS!!! I bought this car used with only 36,000 miles, if that. This car has broken down soooo many times that I am both surprised and disappointed that the government has not stepped in and reprimanded Nissan. Other than normal maintenance, I have spent greater than $3000 in major repairs. I am soo over this car and will be trading it as soon as possible.

Wish I hadn't and won't again.
By Auburn

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is not a well-built vehicle. Cheap plastic inside breaks, CD player kaput at 40k, washer fluid reservoir cracked and leaks out, fuel-sending unit/gauge out at 45k (Nissan hasn't included 05 in the recall of 06 and 08s -thanks for nothing- even though they know it's a defect), and now a problem with my transmission at 71k. Can't seem to get a specific diagnosis yet but I can guess what it is ---radiator leaking into the trans? Nissan hasn't paid for the fuel s.u. or recalled the defective part(s) leading to the trans failure. This was my 3rd Nissan. Time to trade and never buy Nissan again.

Favorite Features

7-seater feature, body design, overall handling (until transmission failure, of course)

Suggested Improvements

Build with better parts.

You get what you pay for
By JM

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2005 LE in December 2004 and got a pretty fair deal as it was Dec 31st. I must say we use this vehicle a lot and it's provided fair value. We still have original brakes and tires. We replaced the battery once and fuel sending unit 4 times. Nissan took care of the first 3 sending unit replacements under warranty and the covered half of the cost of the most recent one. Recently the air bag "dummy" light was flashing but I learned how to reset it on the web. Our Nissan dealer wanted $700 to replace the "airbag computer." The instrument panel of this vehicle is really starting to scare me as I'm not sure what will fail next. Although I love my Infinitis, I won't buy Nissan

Favorite Features

Memory seats, 3rd row seats, utility of vehicle, comfort and ergonomics, and value.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of instrument panel and sensors.

Multiple Electronic Issues
By freegg

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle looks nice but we've had constant electrical issues since it's purchase. Both side view power mirrors went out. The rear passenger power window went out. The oil pressure sensor quit. I've already replaced the battery once after only two years. The overcharging alternator burned out the positive battery cable. Now the fuel gauge has stopped working. I can't remember how many times the service engine light has come on. I was a believer in Nissan products until we purchased this vehicle. I will not buy another Nissan product.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, ample power, adaptable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty service. There seems to be common electrical issues with this vehicle but Nissan doesn't care much for it's potential repeat customers. Our 2005 Pathfinder is a headache to own. I will not buy another Nissan product because of this vehicle and the service level I have received.

My Pathfinder :D
By AlexParamount

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I inherited this 2005 pathfinder from my brother, so I've driven it before. I used to borrow it all the time for roadtrips with my buddies because I've always owned a smaller car - now it's mine! Gas mileage is actually pretty good - equal to my old 1989 240sx. I've achieved as high as 28 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph. City driving is about 15 mpg - so it averages out to about 20 mpg with my mix of hwy/city driving. This is a fast car. I do 0-60 in about 7 seconds. I'm 6'1 and 240 lbs and my truck fits me great. On a roadtrip to Palm Springs my three my-sized buddies fit in the back with their cargo and we got about 23 mpg with AC on full blast. GREAT truck with excellent cargo space.

Favorite Features

The gas pedal! Cargo area. Grill design is great. Muscular body design. Comfortable interior. Nissan dependability. Smoooooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any. There are a couple of sqeaks coming from the back... that's about it.

"thoughtful" sums it up
By Travis

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i virtually live out of my Pathfinder. it's interior is highly functional and the exterior design is meaty and great. the designers really did their work from the extra cup holders and cell phone slots to the grab handles on the luggage rack to the placing of the hooks for the grab net in the cargo area. i used to drive a ford explorer but i find the pathfinder to be an much better suv overall. i also tow a boat pushing the limits of it's towing capacity. NO PROBLEMS!

Favorite Features

general design, power, towing.

Suggested Improvements

factory standard 7 pin towing hookup for trailer lights. a tweak in the transmission so that it doesn't lag when you floor the accelerator. a v8 option.

Beware! Engine Power Loss!
By Disgruntled!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After testing driving 37 vehicles in search of the new family vehicle, we selected the Pathfinder. I regret that decision. Yesterday, my wife was traveling on a highway when the power to the engine went out!!!! She had to coast off the highway. I took it to the dealership this morning who did the diagnostics and said the accelerator pedal had failed and would need to be replaced. What if this had happened with an 18 wheeler barreling down behind her???? I will be filing a complaint with Nissan Motor Corps so they check into this, conduct a recall to ensure this does not happen to anyone else.