Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Reliable transportation.
By screamingsloth

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Favorite Features

It has been reliable. The gas mileage is better than I expected. It weighs 5000 pounds after all . I get during my commute of around 20 mpg which is not bad for a truck based SUV. The ride is nice and firm and the suspension is responsive and surefooted.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission availability would be nice. Better standard sound system.

Here's the thing...
By depmodealex

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

People complain about reliability..here's what I do. The tranny/radiator problem? I spent $200 bucks and PREVENTED the $6,000 failure by replacing the radiator myself. The problem with the secondary timing chains making a LOUD whining noise when you accelerate? Rather than pay Nissan $2000 to fix it, I paid $110 AT the dealer for the parts (which they already have packaged together because it's such a common problem with their VQ engines...which are in over 10 million vehicles, so they're NEVER going to do a recall) and fixed it myself. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending $400 bucks is better than $7000. Maintain your cars people, don't [non-permissible content removed] when you can prevent this

Favorite Features

My truck, which i bought brand new in March of 05, is a beast. This vehicle is VERY heavy and powerful which results in POOR mpg (about 15 average) but it's so worth it. I love the interior room, 58 inches of rear hip room...so awesome. If only it had about 2 to 3 inches of rear legroom it'd be perfect. Overall, this vehicle has been very dependable. I love the hard plastic backs on the third row seats (which I hardly use), they're perfect for people with dogs or people who constantly haul things around.

Suggested Improvements

I would LIKE to have no had to have spent money to replace my radiator and secondary timing chains, but I think this is still a reliable vehicle. The only real complaint or improvement I can think of is more 2nd row leg room wouldve been nice.

Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed
By john534

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.

Favorite Features

It is too bad that the powertrain design on this car is so poor. I enjoy the look and feel of the car and the interior and body of the car are very good. Over the past 20K miles the car has become way too unreliable. Throughout the life of the car I have had to repair a number of significant issues with the engine, suspension and electrical system. I used to think that I purchased a lemon but I have learned over time that this is just a poorly design car. The transmission/radiator failure is the final straw for me and the Nissan brand.

Suggested Improvements

This is a known issue with Nissan Pathfinders. There are thousands of complaints on the issue with Nissan and there have been no actions other than raising the warranty to 80K miles. This is gross error in the design of the product and can cause significant injury depending on the timing of the transmission failure. I was lucky in that I had alittle warning before the transmission let go. I might have had a different result on the highway. Do people have to die to get Nissan to take responsibility for their incredibly poor design? I am done with Nissan as a brand and suggest that the Fed investigate their inaction in addressing this problem.

2005 Pathfinder SE - Multiple Issues
By rushfanyyz

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 2008 with 32K on it, now have 89K and have been a member of every recall Nissan has issued and then some. First was the A/C console had to be replaced; fuel sending unit failed at 70K, ECM was replaced under recall at 85K. Now with 89K, the oil sending unit has failed and the torque converter inside the transmission is shot. It's at Nissan getting a BRAND NEW TRANNY from Japan at the toon of $4300 and low and behold, that brand new transmission is defective as well. Leaking fluid. Its Brand NEW and still has issues. 4-6 weeks before I get a replacement. Nothing but problems. Don't ever buy one of these vehicles. Selling it next year. Would rather walk instead LOL

Favorite Features

Design of Truck, Strong Engine.

Suggested Improvements

Extend Warranty to 120K, not 60K for powertrain Better Paint

Omg, how did this happen?
By winson

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this really good Nissan Pathfinder SE, but 5 years later I regreted it. Just when I was done financing this car and when the warranty was done, the car broke down and I had to bring the car to a friend who inspects and fixes cars. He inspected it and said the "water boxe's" water went into the transmissioner and they had to fix it and they gave me a crappy 2002 Honda Accord. After 2 weeks, I got my car back. (Yesterday) And I paid him $4700 dollars and I drove her home. But at 4:00, I went to wash the car and clean the engine but when I saw the transmissioner and the water box, I saw that nothing was replaced or anything. It was all the same. So I just wasted $4700 for nothing.

Favorite Features

Now I know never to buy Nissan again!