Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

More of the same!
By Scott

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle in December of 2009 with 44K miles on it. It was a great looking SUV and was a good SUV for a while. I guess I can say I was lucky because I didn't have any problems until it reached about 100K miles. Once it hit that milestone, it started having all the same problems that everyone else has been saying. Fuel sensor unit, check engine light going on, tire sensors going on, 2 valve jobs, coolant sending issue, etc. During a drive across town one day in June of 2015 and with only 122K miles on it, I felt a knock underneath the vehicle. Shortly afterward, it wouldn't engage in reverse and then quit engaging in forward after that before it completely crapped out and stranded me in the hood. I knew from reading all these forums what it was. You are right; it was the transmission. 2 months, 2 stints in the repair shop during those 2 months, other repairs needed, and a new transmission, it was finally back on the road $3200 later. Nissan wouldn't do anything and the dealership told me not to waste my time. Like a girl who has cheated on you many times, I couldn't trust it. Needless to say, it was on Craigslist the moment it was out of the shop. I did get rid of it and bought a Toyota SUV. No more Nissans from now on. Would have been a different story if Nissan would have taken responsibility and owned up to this problem and issues. Just from reading these forums, it looks like I am not the only one who will never buy another Nissan again.

By far WORST Car I've ever owned in my life!
By nissansux3

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just read all the post on Coolant leaking into Transmission. Happened to me at 75K miles. We bought the car brand new and spent THOUSANDS on repairs and it was never without problems. Amazing how a company could keep selling a vehicle with SOOOOO many problems and then not do right by their customers.

NONE

Junk SUV and REFUND $$$$

Buyers Beware
By Pathfinder Owner

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have read several comments from people who own a Pathfinder about the problems with the radiator leaking into the transmission. Well, now I am personally having this problem as well. The fluid has leaked into my transmission which now has to be completely overhauled and its only 3 years old and of course out of warranty. So buyers beware. We called Nissan but were basically told too bad. Until now the vehicle ran great so if you do purchase a Pathfinder then make sure you buy the extended warranty!!

Rides smooth

Gas mileage could be better

Nice Exterior/Poor Quality
By Jason

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned four Nissans in the last five years including a 99.5 Pathfinder SE 4WD, and went out immediately and bought the 2005 new body style when it came out. This SUV has a rugged, great looking exterior. However, the vehicle is plagued with quality issues. The fuel gauge is not working (bad fuel level sending unit). The CD player is not working. The rear driver passenger window is not working. Also, there are gaps in the upholstery where seems are not sewn together properly and foam is pushing through. All of these malfunctions hit right after the 36,000 warranty expired (if you get one, get the extended warranty). Also, don't expect any assistance from Nissan

Powerful V6 4.0L engine, exterior styling

Better service, willingness from Nissan to accept responsibility for the quality issues and repair ill will with Nissan owners. I will probably not own another Nissan after this experience...

Ok Pathfinder
By demuslee

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had my pathfinder for 18 months now and have found the engine to be noisier than my dad's Kia Sorento. There are a lot more rattles and squeaks coming from all over which is strange considering it doesn't go off road. Towing is good for my 17 ft boat and it is a fairly comfortable ride except for the noisy engine, rattles and squeaks. 3rd row seating is also hard to access. I've been to 2 dealerships in Miami looking for good service, but haven't found any yet - extremely disorganized and low service emphasis. The labor and oil changes are also expensive at $40 for an oil change. My wife's Toyota gets better service from Toyota dealership. Would buy a Toyota just because of the service.

Powerful V6 engine, comfortable suspension and nice rugged look.

Build quality needs improving with the rattles, squeaks and noisy engine. Better access is needed for 3rd row seating. Nissan dealerships need more quality and service training and need to be more competitive in their pricing as maintenance through the dealership is expensive comparatively speaking.