Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 367 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR STRUTS, SPRINGS, SHOCKS
By Robert G

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hi, my Pathfinder has 116,000 miles and I am the type that will not replace anything until it absolutely need to be replaced minus 10%, this week I replaced the front struts/springs (Monroe had a $75.00 rebate on all 4) front strut/spring sets complete so no labor or additional parts needed, best way to go and save $$ plus the rear shocks, then with the $75.00 rebate I bought the rear moog springs for $63.00 plus $8,00 shipping and my mechanic charged $92.00 and a alignment and now the car rides like a dream, so beautiful that I should have done this at 70,000 miles, best investment I ever made in the Pathfinder, I highly recommend this, total cost $582, best ride, might even be better than brand new as the moog springs have 2 more coils but are the same height giving the body less sway and I love the way it now takes the highway at 65 mph, absolutely a real treat,

Coolant fluid leaking into transmission!
By Faith Q

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It would have been really nice to have gotten a heads up on a defective part in the radiator that will eventually kill your transmission and your radiator. We bought our Pathfinder brand new in 2005. We have never had it serviced anywhere other than the dealership. My theory was that it would be better to have our Nissan maintained at the dealership so we wouldn't have any issues with things coming up that other mechanics may not know about, well that backfired! We never received a letter that some have stated that they received telling them about the potential destruction of their vehicles transmission and radiator do to the defective part. My Pathfinder is now sitting in our driveway while we try to figure out what to do..... This is frustrating to say the least. We have always maintained this vehicle per the dealership and the only thing we were told was it wasn't a problem or it would have been recalled!!!

More of the same!
By Scott

2005 Nissan Pathfinder XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle in December of 2009 with 44K miles on it. It was a great looking SUV and was a good SUV for a while. I guess I can say I was lucky because I didn't have any problems until it reached about 100K miles. Once it hit that milestone, it started having all the same problems that everyone else has been saying. Fuel sensor unit, check engine light going on, tire sensors going on, 2 valve jobs, coolant sending issue, etc. During a drive across town one day in June of 2015 and with only 122K miles on it, I felt a knock underneath the vehicle. Shortly afterward, it wouldn't engage in reverse and then quit engaging in forward after that before it completely crapped out and stranded me in the hood. I knew from reading all these forums what it was. You are right; it was the transmission. 2 months, 2 stints in the repair shop during those 2 months, other repairs needed, and a new transmission, it was finally back on the road $3200 later. Nissan wouldn't do anything and the dealership told me not to waste my time. Like a girl who has cheated on you many times, I couldn't trust it. Needless to say, it was on Craigslist the moment it was out of the shop. I did get rid of it and bought a Toyota SUV. No more Nissans from now on. Would have been a different story if Nissan would have taken responsibility and owned up to this problem and issues. Just from reading these forums, it looks like I am not the only one who will never buy another Nissan again.

separate the transmission fluid from the radiator
By Robert G

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Biggest preventative action and we'll worth the few dollars, add a separate transmission cooler and cut the transmission oil flow from the radiator. The truck comes with a small transmission oil cooler on the front of the radiator but I added another when I separated the transmission oil from going through the radiator, a aluminum Trans cooler that mounts on the front of the radiator costs around $40.00 plus around $70.00 to install, super preventative transmission saver, the radiators failed from Nissans supplier so do not trust the current replacement as it can be a $4,500 expense. For around $100.00 you can gaurentee that the famous antifreeze mixing with the transmission never will happen to you.

Best of the best
By Erick

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got my pathfinder back in 05, never had any problems with the the truck. Its been to texas and back many times. Like couple years back when we got that horrible winter storm here in chicago it handle the road like nothing. The best suv out there for the heavy snow. RWD with the 4x4 option.
all i got to say its that its the best and knkw that its 10 years old still runs like new.