Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

I am torn on this review...am I one of the lucky ones?
By andybisnut

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck but I am torn on the review. I had the issue where the transmission cooling lines failed, causing coolant to get into the transmission. The car would "rumble" when the torque converter engaged. Installed new radiator and flushed the heck out of the transmission. 30,000 miles later, fingers crossed, the tranny is still OK. I haven't had to replace it. Otherwise, the Patfhfinder has been virtually bullet-proof. It's been our go-to road trip car and it's survived many brutal MN winters. Great truck. If the tranny issue didn't exist it would get a perfect score. Seriously powerful engine with lots of sound and fury. :) MPG isn't great...maybe 17-18 MPG on average.

*Engine and acceleration *Feels solidly built...rides firm but not too rough *Tight feel of steering *"Trucky" design (I don't like the 2013 crossover version) *Comfortable seats *Simple and intuitive gauges and controls *Reliable (except for the aforementioned tranny issue, obviously) *Cargo space *Third row for kids *4WD + high ground clearance in winter

*Obviously, fix the transmission cooling lines issue! *Some interior materials could be a little higher quality *MPG could be better

Transmission oil cooler
By gowen1

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder at a mileage of 110k. After reading scary stories about radiator coolant mixing with trans oil, I decided to take a preemptive measure as suggested, i.e. disconnect coolant line from the radiator and add an external transmission cooler. I took my vehicle to Volksdoctor. David, the owner, is very nice man. When he was trying to find a spot for external cooler installation, he found there is a small cooler in the front of the radiator. Then he checked VIN online and found this vehicle has a separate trans cooler. I was so happy about it. Thus, check your vehicle before you add one, you might have it separated already.

How to love your Pathfinder
By pfluvr

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Step 1 - Have your transmission cooling lines disconnected from the radiator! There is an external auxiliary transmission cooler that does the job already. The only problem you may encounter is hard shifting in extreme cold. You can, if you want put another auxiliary cooler on the truck, but unless you're maxing the towing capacity every day you will not need it. The stock cooler is very large. Step 2 - You've basically now cured the only problem you will ever encounter, except for some little maintenancy things. Enjoy!

Gets 20mpgs while towing a 17' boat 250 miles with 4 large adults seated comfortably loaded with gear. Can outrun most cars at stoplights. Does not get stuck in snow ever. Is very comfortable on long rides. Looks awesome.

Make the little maintenancy type things go away. Fix problems like the radiator/transmission failure problem without screwing people by making them a recall issue.

Good Car
By kano1017

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Path used 3 years ago it's a 2005, I'm very happy with it then I started reading the reviews and got concern I know that this is a Nissan design issues but I was not going to wait till I have to pay a lot of $$ to get the radiator and tranny fix so my friend and me started looking for some options and we found the solution so we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator to cool the tranny oil and put an independent oil cooler so now I will never need to be concern on this issue, cost to do this 70 buck's for the oil cooler + what you mechanic charges you. Good luck

Good motor with good hp, the Bosse audio system

this is a lemon...trying to make lemonade
By autophitie

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please research this vehicle...read reviews..and purchase something else for the safety of yourself, your family and other drivers on the road. I had a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it used was happy driving it despite the finicky trans which always seemed okay as long as I continued my dutiful trips to the dealer for service...I had just purchased new tires and brakes for the vehicle which I paid cash for at the time and wham at just over 102K mi the transmission went. It was acting up for a few days with my kids in the car I only ventured to work and daycare ASAP got to to the shop..thankfully no one was injured when I was driving this vehicle...

cup holders, navigation

better customer service, informed technicians which might alert you to potential safety concerns regarding this vehicle. Nissan cannot go back in time and undo the transmission/radiator leakage problem but they could do right by their customers moving forward.