2004 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Awesome SUV!
By denvern on 01/25/09 19:06 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven and owned a lot of vehicles and the Pathfinder is one of my favorites. It's truck tough yet drives like a comfortable car and has luxury car features. The quality, reliability is among the best in the business. It just feels solid!! It has the VQ35DE engine which has been on Wards 10 best list since 1995. This moves the truck with V8 authority. The All-mode 4x4 works very well. In "Auto" it reacts to changing road conditions quicker than its rivals and in "4Hi" it turns into a snow monster. I would take the Pathfinder over a 4Runner or Pilot any day. The only other SUV that feels tough, drives well and feels safe is the Lexus GX470.

Better mileage and it would be perfect
By boomingemu on 10/07/08 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used with 15,000 miles and have been very pleased with it other than the gas mileage. The CD changer refuses to eject my discs (still need to have that fixed). Another review mentioned an annoying rattle from the defrost vents on the dash, and I have that as well. I also had a clogged a/c drain tube which caused a major water leak on the passenger floor board. Nissan will fix this design problem on 2005+ models, but I had to pay a little to have them clear the drain. Everything else mechanical has been great so far at 55,000 miles. The jack with the vehicle is terrible. I found it unstable and dangerous to use when changing a tire on the side of the highway.

Tough truck
By joebeau on 07/18/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

2nd Pathfinder I have owned. Sold the 1st one due to high miles (175+) and body rust in the rear and on the rear floor. This truck is tough, powerful and practical. It does really well off road (I go off road several times a year)

My Second Pathfinder
By HappyWithNissan on 07/01/08 23:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When the El Nino storms washed away the dirt road to our home, we used our first Pathfinder to escape to safety along a steep horse trail -- since then, we've been hooked. Now on our second Pathfinder (we traded in the first one when it was 7 years old so that we could have a shiny new one for our babies), we're still very happy owners. We know that if a mountain trip or weather requires it, our Pathfinder can find a way to get us where we're going. And it drives well in the city as well. The ABS kicks in when needed, the steering handles curvy roads very well, and the seats are comfortable even for long drives. Although mileage could be better, we get a decent 16 city, 20 highway.

Disappointed
By PF on 05/16/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I find it to be very noisy. Wind noise especially from the sunroof is annoying. Rattling from defroster vents on the top of the dashboard is annoying and appears to be a poor design. That's just me being a little picky with engineering problems that shouldn't be that hard to correct. My big disappointment is that with only 28,000 miles on it the evaporator cannister and vent control valve failed and cost me $550.00 to fix at the dealer. I'm out of warranty because it's over 36 months old. I contacted Nissan, but they have offerd me no consideration helping out with the cost of repairs. I wouldn't have expected components to fail at such low mileage.

Solid Solid Solid
By 3rdPrizeIsYoureFired on 04/08/08 10:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Pathfinder and they've all been fantastic. Bought it new, and after 40k miles, not one major problem. Only minor problem was an alignment. That's it. Don't like the climate control much, I prefer three dials, but that's subjective. Plenty of space, not really a luxury SUV, but a solid performer and can handle just about any task... commuting, towing, hauling. Plus it's really a handsome car. Even though the gas mileage is pretty lousy, I plan to keep it anyway because it's just so reliable. Almost a perfect car.

Tough little SUV
By Lauren on 03/07/08 10:25 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was drawn to the 2004 Pathfinder for its styling and performance. This SUV is loaded with options that make driving and riding enjoyable in all weather conditions. Will keep it forever!

My baby!
By Brian Graham on 09/03/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

With 41,000 miles in 3 years, she still purrs like a kitten every day. Trips to Home Depot or even putting 4 golf bags in the back is easy. Black on black, leather, loaded! She eats up the snow in the winter. What a great machine!

Nearly Flawless
By Mike234 on 06/04/07 20:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 years and 23K miles, the performance has been nearly flawless. I have towed near the 5000 lb limit with no issues (flat terrain). Drivetrain is excellent, handles like a Maxima. Though it drives like a car, this vehicle is still very much a truck - and you can treat it like a truck and it's perfectly content. My nits: 1. Bose stereo could use a little more volume. 2. "Pathfinder" logo separated from floor mat. 3. Minor rattle behind dash. So pleased with this vehicle that I bought an '06 Pathfinder to replace minivan.

Japan Knows How To Build Realiable Cars!
By Britt on 02/13/07 22:23 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Japan and Its people sure know how to Build Reliable and Maintenance Free or no Trouble Cars!! Especially Nissan!