Used 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

SUV satisfaction
By jmkf

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We got the full '4-square' treatment, but still paid close to Edmund's TMV at the time (around 30k). We have had very few problems and mechanically have had to just do the usual oil changes and regular service. My wife is the main driver of this vehicle and she was dead set on getting an SUV. We looked around at a number of them - Jimmy (unsupportive seats and mushy handling), Tahoe (too big), Passport (buzzy interior), Cherokee (this one was used and too old) - and found what we wanted in the Pathfinder.

Reliability and engine power. Handles capably and my wife likes high seating position.

Rear bench is very low. Driver seat memory function moves seat to 'home' (full back on seat travel) when ignition is turned off. This tends to crush whatever is behind the seat.

Total comfort
By Mr. Ron

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV. I never really considered a Pathfinder in the past because I thought of it as an off road vehicle, which I really didn't need. Then I sat in one at the NY Auto show and thought, this is really nice! I bought one and I love it. Though the gas mileage isn't the best, everything else about it outweighs that drawback. It's extremely comfortable, great handling, and has everything I would every need. My local dealer is great also. Very accommodating. So far, I'm very pleased.

Dual sun visors, Bose stereo with controls on the steering wheel, auto climate control, comfortable seats, smooth ride.

Illuminated cruise control and stereo controls on the steering wheel; Illuminated heated seat buttons.

Overall Good SUV
By razzz00

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Overall my initial impression of this vehicle is very good. I looked at the Toyota Highlander and Chevy TrailBlazer. As a past Super Chevy sportster it was hard not to go with the Chevy but the reliability concerned me. The highlander was a minivan dressed to look like a SUV. The Pathfinder was a true truck buy didn't ride or handle like one. I only have two issues at this point. First, there appears to be excessive play in the drive train. Second, the Bose stereo is underpowered and has disappointing sound quality. I am not a radio blaster but you need to hear the radio when your on the road with the windows down. The in dash 6 CD changer is nice.

Great low end power and torque. Tows a trailer flawlessly. Steering wheel mounted radio controls (w/ Bose system).

Better protect the radiator / A/C condenser coil. It is to open to rocks etc. Transmission / Transfer Case is sloppy / has too much play. Upgrade the stereo. Bose used to mean something special. They should make it that way once again. I will ahve to have it upgraded aftermarket.

Excellent Choice
By APMX

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our Pathfinder in January 02, and have had no problems. Fit and finish top notch. Great stereo. Love those steering wheel controls.

Impressive acceleration, great handling and very comfortable

Better gas mileage. Standard 17" wheels.

good car!
By vananali

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Exellent SUV choice. Good power, nice, if dated ergonomics, pure exterior design, nice leather. Very quiet interior at highway speeds. Everything about this rig instills quality, solid feel. My only complaint is the numb, no feel steering - my wife's 2001Mazda Tribute, although not nearly as refined-feeling as the Pathfinder, is much more fun to drive. That car has also excellent power (200 hp), which it uses well since the Mazda is substantially lighter. I think they are equal off the line, seat-of- the-pants assesment. Anyway, the Pathfinder is roomier than Toyota 4-Runner and probably the best value for the $$$. Go try one, you will like it.

Numb steering, seems sooo sloooow when switching from other cars, even bigger SUV's (I had a 97 Ford Expedition before with very car-like handling for a begemoth).

• SUV