Used 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Overall Good SUV
By razzz00

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Overall my initial impression of this vehicle is very good. I looked at the Toyota Highlander and Chevy TrailBlazer. As a past Super Chevy sportster it was hard not to go with the Chevy but the reliability concerned me. The highlander was a minivan dressed to look like a SUV. The Pathfinder was a true truck buy didn't ride or handle like one. I only have two issues at this point. First, there appears to be excessive play in the drive train. Second, the Bose stereo is underpowered and has disappointing sound quality. I am not a radio blaster but you need to hear the radio when your on the road with the windows down. The in dash 6 CD changer is nice.

Favorite Features

Great low end power and torque. Tows a trailer flawlessly. Steering wheel mounted radio controls (w/ Bose system).

Suggested Improvements

Better protect the radiator / A/C condenser coil. It is to open to rocks etc. Transmission / Transfer Case is sloppy / has too much play. Upgrade the stereo. Bose used to mean something special. They should make it that way once again. I will ahve to have it upgraded aftermarket.

Excellent Choice
By APMX

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our Pathfinder in January 02, and have had no problems. Fit and finish top notch. Great stereo. Love those steering wheel controls.

Favorite Features

Impressive acceleration, great handling and very comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Standard 17" wheels.

good car!
By vananali

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Exellent SUV choice. Good power, nice, if dated ergonomics, pure exterior design, nice leather. Very quiet interior at highway speeds. Everything about this rig instills quality, solid feel. My only complaint is the numb, no feel steering - my wife's 2001Mazda Tribute, although not nearly as refined-feeling as the Pathfinder, is much more fun to drive. That car has also excellent power (200 hp), which it uses well since the Mazda is substantially lighter. I think they are equal off the line, seat-of- the-pants assesment. Anyway, the Pathfinder is roomier than Toyota 4-Runner and probably the best value for the $$$. Go try one, you will like it.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Numb steering, seems sooo sloooow when switching from other cars, even bigger SUV's (I had a 97 Ford Expedition before with very car-like handling for a begemoth).

Nice duds
By potter1021

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased an 02 LE. Love it. Had a Honda prior- a lease. DON'T EVER LEASE. I made that mistake 3.5 yrs ago. My Pathfinder has all the perks. Smooth ride. Substantial power when I need it. Averages better gas mileage than advertised, 4-5 miles better. Nissan should revise the mpg to 19/23. Excellent vehicle to start a family with.

Favorite Features

Memory seats, bose system, auto on/off head lights, lumbar support, lighted dash at night-very shiek.

Suggested Improvements

Move the side mirror controls to door. Make side mirrors larger, bad blind spot where divider is between driver door and left rear door. Integrated booster seat within back seat for child- like Volvos.

After One Week In Our New 02 Pathfinder
By ChicagoPathfinder

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After a week with our new Pathfinder LE I must admit that I'm very impressed overall. I also heavily considered the Toyota 4Runner, Infinity QX4 (almost the same vehicle as the Pathfinder), and Lexus RX300. Build quality is excellent. Performance excellent! Price was less than the Lexus and the Toyota. Drives more like a car than a truck. Not the most attractive of the bunch (the 4Runner is better looking). However, the 240 HP engine and towing capacity (tows my 2500 lb boat) put the Pathfinder well over the others. Even without the towing capability I would have chosen it though.

Favorite Features

240 HP engine, excellent ride, high quality interior, DVD Entertainment System, Glacial Pearl paint, 5000 lb towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

The overall styling is a little dated. The front could look a little nicer. A little more room in the back seat. Stereo sound is decent but not quite good enough (but then again I'm quite into music). Could use better speakers.