Used 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Great Vehicle
By PS766643

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 900 miles on it and now have 11,200 miles. I'm getting 19.6 mpg driving to and from work at 45 mph and 21.7 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. The ride is quiet and smooth on good roads and not bone- jarring on rough roads. The BOSE stereo system is awesome! This was the only SUV available in the LE version without leather seats. Living in a hot climate where we wear shorts a lot, I didn't want leather, but wanted the other ammenities. The vehicle could easily tow more than the rated 5,000 pounds, Nissan needs to rate it for what is is capable of doing.

Favorite Features

BOSE Stereo system, gas mileage, climate control system, interior and exterior appearance, and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Sun visor is too short horizontally, when moved to cover side window. Don't tie safety features like side curtain airbags and limited slip differential to leather seating. Wide side posts between front and rear doors limits visibility at non-90 degree intersections.

Not a bad SUV
By JFLJ

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is solid all-around with no surprises good or bad. The engine is strong with good passing power and the handling is very good for an SUV. The battery and the wind deflector did need to be changed. No other problems so far.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, cargo room/ease of use.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo. The upgraded bose system sounds muffled and doesn't have the quality I expected. Outside noise comes into the passenger area. Better gas mileage.

This truck ROCKS
By Rob in MD

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had mine since January. I love it and it drives like a sports car. I only have 3 minor and 1 major complaints. I've had 50W stereos that sound better than the 500W Bose. There just doesn't seem like there is that much "elbow room" for the driver. The back cupholder needs to be moved forward (if you put a tall cup in there it will not sit straight due to the elbow rest). But the worst is the cheesy lettering on the luggage rack. These plastic letters started coming off immediately after I bought it.

Favorite Features

Engine by far

Suggested Improvements

Stereo, cupholder, better quality letter on luggage rack.

SUV satisfaction
By jmkf

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We got the full '4-square' treatment, but still paid close to Edmund's TMV at the time (around 30k). We have had very few problems and mechanically have had to just do the usual oil changes and regular service. My wife is the main driver of this vehicle and she was dead set on getting an SUV. We looked around at a number of them - Jimmy (unsupportive seats and mushy handling), Tahoe (too big), Passport (buzzy interior), Cherokee (this one was used and too old) - and found what we wanted in the Pathfinder.

Favorite Features

Reliability and engine power. Handles capably and my wife likes high seating position.

Suggested Improvements

Rear bench is very low. Driver seat memory function moves seat to 'home' (full back on seat travel) when ignition is turned off. This tends to crush whatever is behind the seat.

Total comfort
By Mr. Ron

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV. I never really considered a Pathfinder in the past because I thought of it as an off road vehicle, which I really didn't need. Then I sat in one at the NY Auto show and thought, this is really nice! I bought one and I love it. Though the gas mileage isn't the best, everything else about it outweighs that drawback. It's extremely comfortable, great handling, and has everything I would every need. My local dealer is great also. Very accommodating. So far, I'm very pleased.

Favorite Features

Dual sun visors, Bose stereo with controls on the steering wheel, auto climate control, comfortable seats, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Illuminated cruise control and stereo controls on the steering wheel; Illuminated heated seat buttons.