Used 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Still going
By jma10

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this car from my parents. My dad used to drive for a living and I received it with over 200K miles. I just hit 303K and still going strong. I love this car and the only problem I'm having is finding something equivalent to upgrade it. The newer pathfinders are completely redesigned with a third row seat that I am not thrilled about. I love my cargo space and moving 4-5 time in college, I could fold down my seats and fit just about anything including large furniture. Of course I didn't maintain my car as properly as I should have being a young adult but my check engine light stays on.

Favorite Features

My cargo area is great. Bring back two row seating! My parents actually bought this car with the second row in mind for me as a child and it had more leg room than other options at the time. Overall I love it and it has been so good to me!

Suggested Improvements

My sunroof motor has seemed to died out. My driver side window motor doesnt need replaced, it works great in summer but its slow in the cold.My leather steering wheel and seats got tears in them with relatively little wear. 6disc CD player won't read.

Bulletproof!!!
By jonnom130

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this vehicle with 220k miles and was skeptical because of the mileage. However, this skepticism was short lived. This truck is solid! There are no fluid leaks, seeping gaskets, or strange noises. It doesn’t smoke, knock, or tick. I am amazed at how well it runs with such high mileage. EVERYTHING works as it should. I have had to make a few minor repairs that are common with high mileage vehicles. I recommend this model year vehicle to anyone looking for reliable transportation. My only complaint is the fuel economy. I have to say it gets terrible gas mileage. Expect about 13 city and no more than 20 on the highway.

Last year for 5 speed stick shift 4x4 Pathfinder
By navycorpsman

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 165k miles. Added tow hitch. An outstanding truck with 2 minor exceptions; engine check light comes on. and CD broken. The engine light on from non tight fuel cap code Sensor not working properly? The only real issue is, my son had an accident with it (fell asleep @ wheel & hit poll at about 60MPH) head on, dented front frame about 6 inches in. spun around and crashed another poll crushing passenger doors & front passenger fender BUT, airbag didn't go off? However he did not have a scratch, truck continued to run fine only non- body damage was power steering line. Junkyard hood, doors bumper, grill, fender. I say A VERY Safe truck.

Favorite Features

smooth shifting 5 speed stick shift tranny and, fantastic performance. Far more comfortable than 2002 Toyota 4runner. No timing belt to replace, the chain is forever.

Suggested Improvements

Remove automatic up passenger side electric window. Use a Japan made CD/radio. Make 8 way power seats available on bdriver and passenger side

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE
By effort12

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2005 with 30K mileage. 110K miles currently. Complaints - Dreadful fuel economy and requires premium. Defective exhaust manifold . Hairline cracks create increasingly noisy engine and allow exhaust fumes to leak into interior. Replacement manifold plus installation is almost $4K. Manufacturer claims this not a defect but is just normal wear and tear. Front end vibration when brakes are applied. Defective 6 disc cd changer quit functioning with 6 discs inside. Estimates for repair $3-400. Interior - Very comfortable with nice assortment of features. Would not purchase another Nissan product.

Favorite Features

Interior features - Heated seats - Interior lighting Leather seats - large storage area .

Suggested Improvements

Nissans reluctance to acknowledge a serious manufacturing defect such as exhaust manifold cracks is surprising and potentially dangerous. This will prevent me from purchasing or reccomending another Nissan product.

great 2nd car..Love it!
By jeadie

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Pathfinder on a whim 2 years ago when I had my Mercedes in for service. Other than the questionable gas mileage, the car is perfect. Very reliable, comfortable and plenty of power for my needs. I loved the way it looked and the amenities are awesome for car of its age. I only paid $9k for it with 72k miles and it was and is in excellent condition. Although we will keep primary cars which get better mileage, I plan to keep the Pathfinder in my fleet for as long as it will have me. So far, so good.

Favorite Features

Love the storage! The moonroof is great and the Bose system sounds great. The "issues" with the CD changer only seem to appear in extreame cold or Heat as would any changer. Wish it had an Ipod port but the old school tape deck works fine with an adapter. The aggressive roof rack looks great on the SE model.

Suggested Improvements

If there was any way to increase gas mileage that would be great. Ipod port (although I understand there is an aftermarket unit which can be fitted). The Heat shield noise can be a little annoying at times when the car is cold.