2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Last year for 5 speed stick shift 4x4 Pathfinder
By navycorpsman on 09/06/14 08:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 165k miles. Added tow hitch. An outstanding truck with 2 minor exceptions; engine check light comes on. and CD broken. The engine light on from non tight fuel cap code Sensor not working properly? The only real issue is, my son had an accident with it (fell asleep @ wheel & hit poll at about 60MPH) head on, dented front frame about 6 inches in. spun around and crashed another poll crushing passenger doors & front passenger fender BUT, airbag didn't go off? However he did not have a scratch, truck continued to run fine only non- body damage was power steering line. Junkyard hood, doors bumper, grill, fender. I say A VERY Safe truck.

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE
By effort12 on 05/03/12 10:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2005 with 30K mileage. 110K miles currently. Complaints - Dreadful fuel economy and requires premium. Defective exhaust manifold . Hairline cracks create increasingly noisy engine and allow exhaust fumes to leak into interior. Replacement manifold plus installation is almost $4K. Manufacturer claims this not a defect but is just normal wear and tear. Front end vibration when brakes are applied. Defective 6 disc cd changer quit functioning with 6 discs inside. Estimates for repair $3-400. Interior - Very comfortable with nice assortment of features. Would not purchase another Nissan product.

great 2nd car..Love it!
By jeadie on 02/03/11 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Pathfinder on a whim 2 years ago when I had my Mercedes in for service. Other than the questionable gas mileage, the car is perfect. Very reliable, comfortable and plenty of power for my needs. I loved the way it looked and the amenities are awesome for car of its age. I only paid $9k for it with 72k miles and it was and is in excellent condition. Although we will keep primary cars which get better mileage, I plan to keep the Pathfinder in my fleet for as long as it will have me. So far, so good.

Quality, Dependability & Great Used Car
By fasteddie on 02/23/10 13:38 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Pathfinder LE in July of 2007. There were quite a few other vehicles being considered at the time of purchase but I opted for the refinement, body style and luxurious appointments of the Pathfinder LE. To this day the only issue has been the intermittent check engine light that comes on. I believe it is the o2 sensor which will be checked out next week. I have hauled everything in my vehicle, even 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. Try doing that in some other suvs... My overall satisfaction is extremely high. A highly recommended vehicle for anyone who appreciates quality, comfort and reliability!

Love my Pathfinder
By cagrrl1971 on 10/23/09 13:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I inherited my car from my sister in 2003 and it has been the best vehicle I have ever had. It has 150000 miles now and you can't even tell. We handle typhoon like rains here in Northern CA. I've driven it through the snow without hesitation. This car is so reliable. My mechanic and a couple guys at the oil change shop have said they'll buy it anytime I'm ready to sell. The only major problem I've had is the bushing pin went out right when I took over from my sister - I figured it was because she didn't know how to drive a manual transmission. No problems ever since. If they sold this model again I would buy it. When this one dies I'm buying the latest version of a Pathfinder.

Rugged Sport SUV
By Ryan on 10/01/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned Pathfinder for 1.5 years. Been 100% reliable, just regular maintenance. Gas mileage kinda stinks but you know before you purchase. Engine has loads of speed and torque. Truck has 58k on an 02 model, hopefully last and last... would recommend to a friend , in fact i have he bought a 2008 black se beautiful upgrades!!

7 years and still going
By mikeh on 06/10/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 02. Have had to put very little money in it even with 125000+ miles. Drove it like I stole it in NC Beaches, Western MD Snow, and torrential downpouring T storms. This thing can handle the abuse. Well worth the money and can't see trading it in anytime soon. CD Changer is temperamental, has some CDs hostage now, but overall I can't complain.

I love IT
By Gina Krueger on 01/15/09 08:16 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissan a few month ago and I would have to say there is nothing about that disappoints me. I live in Great Falls Montana. It has been below zero temperatures. There is not a block heater on my Nissan and yet it has started every time.

Good SUV
By Lucas on 01/03/09 00:33 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought The Pathfinder because it was praised on here, and I'm glad I did. It drives well, runs quiet, and hasn't given me major problems yet. I bought mine with 134,000 miles on it, but they are mostly highway miles. She gets around 15-16 MPG, but I'm trying to get her to around 20 or so. Probably going to add a K&N cold air intake soon. Changing your own oil can be kinda a drag too, being that the oil filter is underneath the semi-skid plate.

Great rig
By PathyGuy on 12/22/08 12:18 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this new and thought it was fine. After 6 years of only doing minimal maintenance, this thing rocks. With limited slip diff and old fashioned 4x4 (which I prefer), this thing can plow thru any snow and even does better than most others trucks/SUVs in icy conditions. Just get some good aggressive tires for offroading or deep snow.