2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Nice to drive but MANY

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Review

Nice to drive but MANY engine problems
By DaveT on

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this after taking a small Toyota to more than 150K miles with no troubles. Like the size, power, interior features and just about everything about the car. But I've had TERRIBLE engine troubles -- all relating to overheating. I've had the radiator replace 3 times, valves, hoses, you name it replaced at multiple dealerships in multiple states (not fun when a car breaks down on a vacation) and no one can seem to fix the problem. As I type this, it's in the shop for at least the 6th time for overheating. Rental car guy in the service area says he sees '01 Pathfinders come through ALL the time. Wish it had the reliability of my old Toyota.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, cargo room, quickness/power (I've never towed anything, so this is strictly driving around town power), I like most things about the SUV

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is TERRIBLE (13-15mpg everywhere), Rear seats take a bit to fold down (compared to today's cars), reliability of the engine (radiator) has been AWFUL for me.