Huge disappointment
By Robert on
2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
I bought it with 87,000 miles and did all the due diligence with a weekend test drive, private mechanic checkout and carfax. Vehicle was a 1-owner trade and exceptionally clean. Nothing but a disappointment. Cat converters, O2 sensor issues, mass air flow, tie rod ends and wheel bearings were replaced a year later. CD changer doesn't work, bad o-ring oil seals, overheats in hot weather due to an air pocket in the cooling system the dealer couldn't even clear out, windows move slowly, transmission slips in cold weather. Looks like the exhaust resonator I put on is its 3rd one. Fan amplifier control module burned out. Left side sits a bit low so I suspect a bad strut.
Favorite Features
Styling, handling (drives like a car, not a truck), performance. 4WD is great. Nicely appointed interior.
Suggested Improvements
Not a very well engineered vehicle. No excuse for the number of problems, especially for a vehicle built in Japan. I think Nissan had some financial problems 10 years ago and it shows in the quality of the vehicle. Sorry to say that I'll have to stick with Honda and Toyota in the future.