Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Mine has been great
By MattMPG

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've been all over the eastern half of the USA in my Pathfinder and it's been great. I didn't get any check engine lights until 150,000 miles. I'm fixing the problem and keeping the truck until at least 200k. My Pathfinder is 7 years old and has no rattles and the suspension is still feels like a new car. My next car will be a Pathfinder.

Favorite Features

The speed. I can beat most cars off the line at stop lights. My wife likes this feature too.

Suggested Improvements

Make them in Japan again like mine was. I like buying a German car from Genmany and a Japanese car from Japan.

Still great after 5 years
By SM

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 5 years of ownership, still pleased. Have only done routine maintenance and changed tires and battery. Only issue being the 5 disc changer no longer working. Use iPod anyway, so non-issue. Performs well. Comfortable ride (well, it is a truck nor a sedan). Plenty of power. Used to drive 30 mile one way trips in Texas summer, now driven in Minnesota below zero winter, dependable either way.

Favorite Features

Power seats, video system, power.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage.

Great SUV
By Doug

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

His name is Walter. I have had him for 5 years and am very happy it. Like with the other reviews, my CD went out at 15k miles (covered), replaced, and went out again at 40k miles. By this time I had an iPod, so I didn't really care. At 70k miles my A/C went out, only cost $400 to replace. Tires lasted 45k miles, so I was happy with that. I was rear ended at 60k miles and the unibody construction kept me very safe. After being repaired, I have not noticed any performance or rattling problems. If I were to buy another SUV, I would definitely buy a Pathfinder. I've been very happy with it.

Favorite Features

Horsepower. The 260 hp (manual trans) is fantastic. Love the 4WD also, I can drive w/o problems in 10" of snow. I also like the compact size of the truck. It's plenty roomy inside, but it's not a beast to get in/out and drive around.

Suggested Improvements

CD player an obvious flaw. Get an iPod converter :o)

Not quite as reliable as it predecessor
By Mikekai

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Previously had a 95 Pathfinder that lasted us 200K miles, this 01 seems it will last another 20-50K at best. It has a good strong 3.5 for hauling even decent loads. It is comfortable but a bit tight for a larger or taller person. Fuel economy is average for an SUV (always 15-16mpg). The inside is easy to use and get to. The 6-disc CD player was dead when we bought it at 45K miles and the dealership would not fix/replace it. This vehicle also eats through 60K mile tires every 30-35K miles even with perfect alignment and maintenance. The engine over 100K miles seems to be weakening, especially at higher RPMs (interstate). The front brakes have needed to be fixed 3 times in the past 40K miles.

Favorite Features

Great sounding stereo system. Fun to drive. Looks good compared to other SUVs in the same age group. Easy to use controls.

Suggested Improvements

Move rearview mirror up about an inch, taller people will have problems seeing another vehicle to the right at a 4-way stop. Redo the front braking. Stronger moulding adhesive on the doors, especially on dark/black versions.

Happy traveler
By NortonGuy

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have taken the Pathfinder as our preferred vehicle on many long-distance trips (500-2500 miles). It is a very comfortable road car. Only once has it been off-road and that was equally impressive. It was a very fast dash on gravel roads in Death Valley. The only flaw is getting in and out of the vehicle requires you to be small and/or agile. Possibly the best car we've owned over 40 years.

Favorite Features

Power, smooth ride, good controls.