Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Too many issues
By gayrand

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've liked driving this vehicle for the past 5 years, but the issues I've had with it are enough that I wouldn't buy another. I had to replace all six ignition coils. When the first 1 went, I took it to a dealer who wanted a lot of money to replace all 6 - when only 1 was faulty. I took it to an independent repair facility, and got another year out of the vehicle before a 2nd coil needed replacement. Slightly less than a year after that and a 3rd went, at which point I replaced the remainder. Top that off with the failure of the CD player at about 60k & finding that was a "known issue". Next time around I'll be going Honda or Toyota - and that will be soon.

Never again
By Steve

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was my second Pathfinder after having a 1992. Not the same company anymore. Corporate does not stand by their product. Exhaust broke at the flange which is common I'm told after just 4 years! Corporate would not pick up any of the cost and I'm stuck with a $850 service bill. O2 sensors and check end light is a nightmare. Rims do not make a good seal on the tires. Faulty struts on this year model. Bose cd changer broke twice.

Great handling, strong motor,

lack of rear disc brakes, better quality

C'mon Nissan, you can do better!
By jcrew

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 7 years of owning the pathfinder (60,000 miles), here is an accurate assessment. Despite 3,000 mi oil changes, there have been numerous mechanical issues/failures (i.e., ignition coils, front springs, air cond, exhaust sys). After reviewing my old bills, I was spending 1500-2000 dollars a year on it at the dealership. I am truly disappointed in Nissan. MY LAST ONE EVER. There quality control is terrible. I thought Renault would correct that, however, it has gotten worse.

Very capable towing vehicle, very functional with rack, and hatch window that opens up

Quality and reliability.

Unreliable Car & Expensive Repairs
By Last Nissan for us

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Our second Pathfinder. All reg maint done at dealership. Had to replace O2 sensors at 34000 miles, and second one at 52000. At 61000, dealership said I had a bad catalytic converter and since we had just passed (by two weeks) the 8 year ownership mark, they refused to fix it. First two repairs were $700 each, cat converter estimate is $1000. Have had engine knock for 2 years that dealership couldn't isolate/repair. Knowing that the sensors had gone out, and there was an engine knock, they should have checked cat converter. We will fix this, sell it, and go back to buying Toyotas.

Interior is nice. stereo controls on steering column is nice.

Recall the cat converters. Change head rest design in back seats so easier to drop seat flat.

01 Pathy's OK, but...
By Stinger_Bee

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 Pathfinder LE for quite a while now. I have not had any truly mechanical issues during this time so have to say that it's been pretty good. As with several other reviewers, I've seen the following issues: 1. Engine, transmission, drive shaft sensors have all been replaced 2. The Bose in-dash 6-disc changer (made by Clarion by the way) gave me the Err messages at about 3 years in or 40K. Had to replace it with an after market unit. 3. The interior durability is VERY poor. I've replaced the driver side power seat motor/rails. 4. Today, I'm going to be paying about $700 for some A/C repairs. All in all, it's just been OK. My 1999 Maxima was rock solid but was pre-Goshen..

Rides nicely for a truck based SUV, reasonable space, looks nice.

Improve interior quality (CD player, mechanical parts, more driver side headroom). Improve the quality of the sensors.