2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Good except for two annoying problems
By eriley1 on 12/18/05 14:36 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The 6 CD changer quit working at 50k miles, and the automatic transmission started giving me trouble at 70k miles. Between 40 and 70 mph, it lurches sometimes and shifts hard into overdrive. The dealer recommended replacing it for $2900, but it's still mostly OK so I'm still driving it without the repair. Now I'm at 80k miles. I've been very pleased with the power. Rear passengers sometimes complain about the ride, but as the driver I love it. Very good sound system. I get 17 mpg overall with the 3.5 liter V6. One or both front brake rotors warped somewhere along the way, but I brake hard so it may be my fault. Other than these problems it's been completely trouble free.

99% Perfect
By kp on 12/10/05 13:19 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Nissan vehicle, and it won't be my last! This thing is incredible, the coldest days of the year it starts with out a problem. Whether its on wet, snow covered, dirt, muddy roads or going uphill downhill or around a tight curve i have never felt unsecure driving it! I have had it now for about 1.5 years and its got about 85k on it and runs like its new! Nice job Nissan

Reliable SUV
By spokes on 12/07/05 17:18 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 'Pathy' for about three years now. So far I haven't had any major problems. It still rides better then most cars. The gearbox moans when I put it in reverse sometimes. The Bose (Clarion actually) CD changer stopped working. It's a known problem that Nissan won't fix. I sent mine to Clairon for repair. The paint has held up well. I wish the springs were a little stiffer as they compress too easily and can bottom out when hauling adults and cargo. I put Yoko tires on and it eliminated some of the body roll, better ride too. I'd still recommend the 2001 although I like the styling on the 2004 and newer better. Hopefully the gas mileage is improved.

Great SUV - not for tall people
By AlexJC on 12/02/05 13:21 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I love the look and performance of my Pathfinder. It ran great in the sand of the outer banks and in the snow of Michigan. My only problem is the cramped interior. I am 6'2" and my head touches the ceiling with the seat all the way down. The back seat...forget about it.

My Nissan Pathfinder
By Rick Ramirez on 11/26/05 23:06 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

For the first 75,000 miles and when the gas prices were reasonable "my nissan" was great. Long distance, over three hundred miles at a time, the leather seats were a bit unconfortable. After 100000 miles, little things began to happen.........check engine light comes on, clock goes dim than out for good, hesitation on acceleration and the transmission is starting to act up. I think it's time to trade the old guy in.

BEST SUV EVER
By JC on 11/10/05 09:48 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I always owned Nissans. But this is my favorite ever. It looks awesome from the outside, and interior is cozy. Well, it is a little thirsty, but you gotta expect that when you buy an SUV. It is very powerful, handles like a car. I would recommend it to anyone.

Luv my SUV
By BJW on 09/23/05 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my LE used with 24K. This is the most functional car/truck I've ever owned and the reliability is so far equal to my experience with Camrey's and Maxima's. I now have 55K and the only issue I have is with the Bose stereo. The CD/cassette function quit working at around 45K. Otherwise the reliability has been flawless. It hauls my stuff, my kids, and my trailer in all seasons and never lets me down. I test drove every conceivable competitor and for my needs this SUV had the right combination of power, space, torque, comfort, and handling. Very happy with my decision.

2001 Pathfinder Satisfactory.
By IN Pathfinder Owner on 07/10/05 16:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Pathfinder. The first - a 1996 was very nice, but alittle plain in interior aspects for the purchase price. The next, a 2000 was better in that aspect; but after a traffic accident which totaled it, a 2001 Pathfinder was bought to replace it. Except for the weak bumper system, the SUV, in my opinion, is more elegant than most others & handles pretty well in most weather; need to watch for ice etc. since the SUV is larger, I find that it wants to slide more easily. Gas mileage needs to be worked with; about 15 miles per gallon highway. Interior noise can be high - something that I would think would be better in a vehicle like this; wind & tire/road noise especially.

Impressive
By Linda on 06/30/05 14:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle hard. I have 95k mi, and NO notable problems. I consistently get about 18 mpg (L.A.traffic). The only thing that has failed is the face light for the Bose (too expensive to pull out and send out for repair). I absolutely love the engine (powerful and good torque). Good ride quality. Good looks. Very reliable! I have been struggling with whether or not to replace this vehicle (since I'm nearing the 100,000 mi mark). Struggling, because I really have no other reason to trade this vehicle in- it's still running strong and looks good. And yes, my purse falls on the floor, too- and I hate it!...but it has in all my other vehicles.

Good until now
By Jay on 06/02/05 18:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Pathfinder. The 1st, a 1998, was great. The only problems until now was excessive rattles. Same with 1st one. However, I just got a "sevice engine soon" light so I got it checked. The dealer says my catalytic converters are shot and new ones will cost almost 2000.00! It seems to me 4.5 year old and 70k miles with all scheduled service and no unusual driving the car should not have this problem.