Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 160 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

2001 Pathfinder Satisfactory.
By IN Pathfinder Owner

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Pathfinder. The first - a 1996 was very nice, but alittle plain in interior aspects for the purchase price. The next, a 2000 was better in that aspect; but after a traffic accident which totaled it, a 2001 Pathfinder was bought to replace it. Except for the weak bumper system, the SUV, in my opinion, is more elegant than most others & handles pretty well in most weather; need to watch for ice etc. since the SUV is larger, I find that it wants to slide more easily. Gas mileage needs to be worked with; about 15 miles per gallon highway. Interior noise can be high - something that I would think would be better in a vehicle like this; wind & tire/road noise especially.

Appearance is very nice. Like the outside lighting; lights up the road better over the previous year models.

Front/Rear Bumper Systems Are Whimpy; need to be re-designed to handle minor bumps and scrapes etc. better. Even simplest taps cause major damage. Idler pulley broke off the engine while driving & Nissan would not repair it under the warranty since the part was not there; really not fair service.

Impressive
By Linda

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle hard. I have 95k mi, and NO notable problems. I consistently get about 18 mpg (L.A.traffic). The only thing that has failed is the face light for the Bose (too expensive to pull out and send out for repair). I absolutely love the engine (powerful and good torque). Good ride quality. Good looks. Very reliable! I have been struggling with whether or not to replace this vehicle (since I'm nearing the 100,000 mi mark). Struggling, because I really have no other reason to trade this vehicle in- it's still running strong and looks good. And yes, my purse falls on the floor, too- and I hate it!...but it has in all my other vehicles.

Love the engine. Good H.P. Great turning radius. Leather seats hold up to everything. Wood grain finish is a nice plus. Bose system is great.

More storage! Better cupholder design. Bigger gas tank. Just a little more lumbar support. Moveable/ adjustable armrest.

Good until now
By Jay

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Pathfinder. The 1st, a 1998, was great. The only problems until now was excessive rattles. Same with 1st one. However, I just got a "sevice engine soon" light so I got it checked. The dealer says my catalytic converters are shot and new ones will cost almost 2000.00! It seems to me 4.5 year old and 70k miles with all scheduled service and no unusual driving the car should not have this problem.

Handles well. Good acceleration.

Very noisy on the inside at freeway speeds on windy days if there is any crosswind.

Female Perspective:Rides like a truck...
By phzcskk

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

only worse. Didn't know it's a truck chasis-wish I'd paid closer attn @dealership. Feels like spine compresses when u go over the tiniest bump. Nowhere to put purse. Purse/any cargo-no matter where in car-rolls around, contents spill out. I put crates in back to contain groceries etc & they slide around too. Net is useless. Back hatch extremely heavy & takes all my strength to close. Passngr seat has a 1" gap between the seat & seatback. Whatever is put on seat ends up in back floor. Cupholders are too close together. Cell charger in the way when in park. CD player ate a CD while under warranty so dealer had to replace. Hi-test gas. Bad blind spots on both sides. Limited passngr legroom.

Sitting high up in the traffic. Like seat memory; however, once we accidentally turned it off and thought it was broken. Owner's manual does not mention this "feature".

Warn potential female buyers this is a truck. Needs to be more female- friendly. Improve ride/stability. Close gap in front passngr seat. Auto-close back hatch. Improve interior logistics. Add hooks in rear. Needs better way to secure cargo.

Nice to drive but MANY engine problems
By DaveT

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this after taking a small Toyota to more than 150K miles with no troubles. Like the size, power, interior features and just about everything about the car. But I've had TERRIBLE engine troubles -- all relating to overheating. I've had the radiator replace 3 times, valves, hoses, you name it replaced at multiple dealerships in multiple states (not fun when a car breaks down on a vacation) and no one can seem to fix the problem. As I type this, it's in the shop for at least the 6th time for overheating. Rental car guy in the service area says he sees '01 Pathfinders come through ALL the time. Wish it had the reliability of my old Toyota.

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, cargo room, quickness/power (I've never towed anything, so this is strictly driving around town power), I like most things about the SUV

Fuel economy is TERRIBLE (13-15mpg everywhere), Rear seats take a bit to fold down (compared to today's cars), reliability of the engine (radiator) has been AWFUL for me.