Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

BEST SUV EVER
By JC

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I always owned Nissans. But this is my favorite ever. It looks awesome from the outside, and interior is cozy. Well, it is a little thirsty, but you gotta expect that when you buy an SUV. It is very powerful, handles like a car. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

The rough and tough look, handling, engine power

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage or bigger fuel tank, only gives around 300 miles on full tank..other than that PERFECT SUV

Luv my SUV
By BJW

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my LE used with 24K. This is the most functional car/truck I've ever owned and the reliability is so far equal to my experience with Camrey's and Maxima's. I now have 55K and the only issue I have is with the Bose stereo. The CD/cassette function quit working at around 45K. Otherwise the reliability has been flawless. It hauls my stuff, my kids, and my trailer in all seasons and never lets me down. I test drove every conceivable competitor and for my needs this SUV had the right combination of power, space, torque, comfort, and handling. Very happy with my decision.

Favorite Features

Handles great for a 2001 SUV, comfortable seats, auto AWD. I also like the simple styling and absence of excessive body molding and cladding.

Suggested Improvements

I'm disappointed the stereo crapped out after only 3 years of use. I kind of wish the tailgate glass retracted like the 4runner, but it's not that important.

2001 Pathfinder Satisfactory.
By IN Pathfinder Owner

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Pathfinder. The first - a 1996 was very nice, but alittle plain in interior aspects for the purchase price. The next, a 2000 was better in that aspect; but after a traffic accident which totaled it, a 2001 Pathfinder was bought to replace it. Except for the weak bumper system, the SUV, in my opinion, is more elegant than most others & handles pretty well in most weather; need to watch for ice etc. since the SUV is larger, I find that it wants to slide more easily. Gas mileage needs to be worked with; about 15 miles per gallon highway. Interior noise can be high - something that I would think would be better in a vehicle like this; wind & tire/road noise especially.

Favorite Features

Appearance is very nice. Like the outside lighting; lights up the road better over the previous year models.

Suggested Improvements

Front/Rear Bumper Systems Are Whimpy; need to be re-designed to handle minor bumps and scrapes etc. better. Even simplest taps cause major damage. Idler pulley broke off the engine while driving & Nissan would not repair it under the warranty since the part was not there; really not fair service.

Impressive
By Linda

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle hard. I have 95k mi, and NO notable problems. I consistently get about 18 mpg (L.A.traffic). The only thing that has failed is the face light for the Bose (too expensive to pull out and send out for repair). I absolutely love the engine (powerful and good torque). Good ride quality. Good looks. Very reliable! I have been struggling with whether or not to replace this vehicle (since I'm nearing the 100,000 mi mark). Struggling, because I really have no other reason to trade this vehicle in- it's still running strong and looks good. And yes, my purse falls on the floor, too- and I hate it!...but it has in all my other vehicles.

Favorite Features

Love the engine. Good H.P. Great turning radius. Leather seats hold up to everything. Wood grain finish is a nice plus. Bose system is great.

Suggested Improvements

More storage! Better cupholder design. Bigger gas tank. Just a little more lumbar support. Moveable/ adjustable armrest.

Good until now
By Jay

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Pathfinder. The 1st, a 1998, was great. The only problems until now was excessive rattles. Same with 1st one. However, I just got a "sevice engine soon" light so I got it checked. The dealer says my catalytic converters are shot and new ones will cost almost 2000.00! It seems to me 4.5 year old and 70k miles with all scheduled service and no unusual driving the car should not have this problem.

Favorite Features

Handles well. Good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Very noisy on the inside at freeway speeds on windy days if there is any crosswind.