Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Most Helpful|
Poor quality
By MMBUZZ

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The poor quality has me looking to dump it. With 35k family / street miles and keep in a garage, the transmission is already slipping in all gears, the rear hatch rattles and has rubbed the paint off, oxygen sensor has been replaces 3 times and the side molding is coming off. This vehicle will be nothing but problem into the future.

Favorite Features

Power and style

Suggested Improvements

Quality checks! Transmission. Put decent tires on it. The originals lasted just 22k miles.

Not quite as reliable as it predecessor
By Mikekai

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Previously had a 95 Pathfinder that lasted us 200K miles, this 01 seems it will last another 20-50K at best. It has a good strong 3.5 for hauling even decent loads. It is comfortable but a bit tight for a larger or taller person. Fuel economy is average for an SUV (always 15-16mpg). The inside is easy to use and get to. The 6-disc CD player was dead when we bought it at 45K miles and the dealership would not fix/replace it. This vehicle also eats through 60K mile tires every 30-35K miles even with perfect alignment and maintenance. The engine over 100K miles seems to be weakening, especially at higher RPMs (interstate). The front brakes have needed to be fixed 3 times in the past 40K miles.

Favorite Features

Great sounding stereo system. Fun to drive. Looks good compared to other SUVs in the same age group. Easy to use controls.

Suggested Improvements

Move rearview mirror up about an inch, taller people will have problems seeing another vehicle to the right at a 4-way stop. Redo the front braking. Stronger moulding adhesive on the doors, especially on dark/black versions.

Never again
By Steve

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was my second Pathfinder after having a 1992. Not the same company anymore. Corporate does not stand by their product. Exhaust broke at the flange which is common I'm told after just 4 years! Corporate would not pick up any of the cost and I'm stuck with a $850 service bill. O2 sensors and check end light is a nightmare. Rims do not make a good seal on the tires. Faulty struts on this year model. Bose cd changer broke twice.

Favorite Features

Great handling, strong motor,

Suggested Improvements

lack of rear disc brakes, better quality

I'll never buy another Nissan!
By AdamK

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Nissan, the first being a Maxima. I have had numerous problems with this car, considering in the last 6 months it has been into the dealer 9 times! Don't buy one...and if you have one, make sure you airbag sensors actaully work!

Favorite Features

The steering wheel controls and the heated seats are the only thing this SUV has going for it...

Suggested Improvements

Nissan's are supposed to be great cars, I've been told that I have had so many problems bc it is the first year with the new engine, just make sure you're not getting yourself into trouble when buying one, if you must buy one.

Be ware of this vehicle!!
By soc77mai

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am very dissapoinded in my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE. I traded a 97 GMC Jimmy, and I am sorry I did. On the Nissan, the exhaust system gave out, a coil burnt out, all four O2 sensors have been replaced, and the check engine light will not stay off. I even changed the spark plugs, that did not solve the check engine problem. This vehicle has failed inspection two of the three years I have owned it, and I service it by the book! The gas mileage is awfull ( I do 55 to save fuel) and it still costs $70 dollars a week to fill it! Below 35 degrees,the windows will not roll up without me pushing on them, and below 10 forget it. I will never buy a Nissan again.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, many extras, supportive seats, great sounding Bose radio.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability, use stainless steel exhaust, improve fuel economy.