2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Not quite as reliable as it predecessor
By Mikekai on 05/23/07 10:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Previously had a 95 Pathfinder that lasted us 200K miles, this 01 seems it will last another 20-50K at best. It has a good strong 3.5 for hauling even decent loads. It is comfortable but a bit tight for a larger or taller person. Fuel economy is average for an SUV (always 15-16mpg). The inside is easy to use and get to. The 6-disc CD player was dead when we bought it at 45K miles and the dealership would not fix/replace it. This vehicle also eats through 60K mile tires every 30-35K miles even with perfect alignment and maintenance. The engine over 100K miles seems to be weakening, especially at higher RPMs (interstate). The front brakes have needed to be fixed 3 times in the past 40K miles.

'01 SE
By Robert on 12/21/05 22:32 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

great ownership experience highly recommend, the 3.5 V6 is incredible for reliability and power.

Good except for two annoying problems
By eriley1 on 12/18/05 14:36 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The 6 CD changer quit working at 50k miles, and the automatic transmission started giving me trouble at 70k miles. Between 40 and 70 mph, it lurches sometimes and shifts hard into overdrive. The dealer recommended replacing it for $2900, but it's still mostly OK so I'm still driving it without the repair. Now I'm at 80k miles. I've been very pleased with the power. Rear passengers sometimes complain about the ride, but as the driver I love it. Very good sound system. I get 17 mpg overall with the 3.5 liter V6. One or both front brake rotors warped somewhere along the way, but I brake hard so it may be my fault. Other than these problems it's been completely trouble free.

Its been great
By edeb456 on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this pathfinder for over a year now and it has been great. Has been extremely reliable, not a single problem. Performance from 3.5 is great, gas mileage hasnt been that bad about 17-18 mpg mixed driving around town, of course im not a lead foot. Its an SUV afterall. Paint has held up well, still looks like it is new. Overall the seat fabrics, materials and fit and finish are well above average when compared to others. AC is great, especially with hot Vegas summers. Handles like a car not like a truck. Does quite well on semi nasty offroad trails. Is very comfortable on long highway trips.

My Pathfinder
By Boomer on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with my Pathfinder ever since I purchased it! Most of all I am happy with the power, reliability{We have had ours over three years and not one problem} and the way it rides like a car and not a truck. If it was just a little bigger it would be perfect. I would buy another one in a minute, even with a growing family like ours!

Puts the "Sport" back in SUV
By spyderman4774 on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I traded in a Spyder GS-T in for the Pathfinder in hopes of getting something more practical. The Pathfinder definately is more practical and the performance is outstanding! I don't have OEM tires, but the ones that the Pathy came with grip pretty good in high-speed cornering. Also there isn't too much lean in turns. A great truck for those wanting more than just something to haul with.

Original owner
By primus2000 on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

have owned this vehicle since december 2000 super performance and no problems

Just keeps getting better
By Coldfusion on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very happy thus far.

Nissan Pathfinder
By Russ0887 on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great all-around vehicle! Love to drive it!

Great vehicle
By dbhons on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Pathfinder is an easy driving vehicle; handles well on the road, including in turns (better than anything else we test drove). Going up into mountains and canyons, towing a SeaDoo (about 1,000 pounds), camping "stuff" on the top and inside the car, is no problem. Plenty of spare energy and torque. The Pathfinder comes with a lot of standard items that are GOOD; i.e. disk changer and sound system, running boards, tow setup, extra 12V plugs, etc.