Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Most Helpful|
Good except for two annoying problems
By eriley1

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The 6 CD changer quit working at 50k miles, and the automatic transmission started giving me trouble at 70k miles. Between 40 and 70 mph, it lurches sometimes and shifts hard into overdrive. The dealer recommended replacing it for $2900, but it's still mostly OK so I'm still driving it without the repair. Now I'm at 80k miles. I've been very pleased with the power. Rear passengers sometimes complain about the ride, but as the driver I love it. Very good sound system. I get 17 mpg overall with the 3.5 liter V6. One or both front brake rotors warped somewhere along the way, but I brake hard so it may be my fault. Other than these problems it's been completely trouble free.

Favorite Features

Very good power. Good sound system. Good driving position and visibility, and good ride for the driver. Useful rear cargo area with fold-down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Center console area could be laid out a little better.

Not quite as reliable as it predecessor
By Mikekai

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Previously had a 95 Pathfinder that lasted us 200K miles, this 01 seems it will last another 20-50K at best. It has a good strong 3.5 for hauling even decent loads. It is comfortable but a bit tight for a larger or taller person. Fuel economy is average for an SUV (always 15-16mpg). The inside is easy to use and get to. The 6-disc CD player was dead when we bought it at 45K miles and the dealership would not fix/replace it. This vehicle also eats through 60K mile tires every 30-35K miles even with perfect alignment and maintenance. The engine over 100K miles seems to be weakening, especially at higher RPMs (interstate). The front brakes have needed to be fixed 3 times in the past 40K miles.

Favorite Features

Great sounding stereo system. Fun to drive. Looks good compared to other SUVs in the same age group. Easy to use controls.

Suggested Improvements

Move rearview mirror up about an inch, taller people will have problems seeing another vehicle to the right at a 4-way stop. Redo the front braking. Stronger moulding adhesive on the doors, especially on dark/black versions.

'01 SE
By Robert

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

great ownership experience highly recommend, the 3.5 V6 is incredible for reliability and power.

My Pathfinder
By Boomer

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with my Pathfinder ever since I purchased it! Most of all I am happy with the power, reliability{We have had ours over three years and not one problem} and the way it rides like a car and not a truck. If it was just a little bigger it would be perfect. I would buy another one in a minute, even with a growing family like ours!

Favorite Features

I really like the power it has. Also, because of the size it's very easy to park. Again, the reliabilty is a biggy especially when you have a baby.

Suggested Improvements

Even though the size can be a plus, with a growing family like ours the space could be a little bigger.

Its been great
By edeb456

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this pathfinder for over a year now and it has been great. Has been extremely reliable, not a single problem. Performance from 3.5 is great, gas mileage hasnt been that bad about 17-18 mpg mixed driving around town, of course im not a lead foot. Its an SUV afterall. Paint has held up well, still looks like it is new. Overall the seat fabrics, materials and fit and finish are well above average when compared to others. AC is great, especially with hot Vegas summers. Handles like a car not like a truck. Does quite well on semi nasty offroad trails. Is very comfortable on long highway trips.

Favorite Features

reliability, VQ 3.5 engine, smooth, quiet and acceleration is great, BOSE six disc audio system sounds great, cargo space, seat comfort, car like handling, offroad ability

Suggested Improvements

four wheel disc brakes, better gas mileage, good for SUV ,use 87 octane gas not 91 or 89, gotta pay the price for the power I guess, easier fold down of rear seats, easier to change your own oil, some cheap plastic interior pieces, just being nitpicky