2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2001 Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Sort Reviews by

mixed feelings
By ondro1977

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Car looks, handles and feels great and in 2001 it was more powerful than 2001 Toyota 4Runner and more stylish. Engine got boosted to 240HP over very weak 168HP 3.3 liter. With that came a lots of MAF, O2,Crank position sensor failures. Use of premium fuel is more than recommended. Weak transmission and aggressive rust on under-body (save yourself and spray it prematurely if you can). Strut tower failures. Realistic fuel economy is 14city and 20 Hwy.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, good handling, decent interior materials, classic styling,

Suggested Improvements

reliability, excessive underbody rust, transmission, crumped rear seats, fuel economy should be better, faulty clock, engine sensors (MAF, O2, Crank position)

Best suv hands down
By zach7685

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned three pathfinders over the years. we currently have two! I love my 2001 LE its the best SUV for the money! it has 200K and runs top notch! the 2001+ have the bigger 3.5 engine and you can tell a differences. Only thing iv had to replace other than normal maintenance was the MAF sensor. Hint (replace with Maxima its cheaper)

Favorite Features

Leather Reliability 4x4 system

Suggested Improvements

Keyless remote

Excellent Car
By lcplorbinati

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for 5 years and since over 102,000 and after owning this one I would buy a Nissan again. No problems up to about 136k but I take responsibility for the major problems that could of been prevented with good preventative maintenance. The car has 141,800+ miles and has been through CA and driven from CA to NM and to few destinations in NM. I trust this vehicle to roll with me anywhere and I will even drive my family around in it. It also survived several big accidents with minimal cost and big damage. One big problem is the stock cd changer, no problem swapping out for aftermarket radio

Favorite Features

I will just say all of them.

Suggested Improvements

None- Black paint with black leather interior was a bad idea though.

This car saved my life
By companda

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car from my parents for graduation. It's lovely. Drives like a dream and I've put this thing in places any other vehicle would have been stuck and it's pushed through and gotten out with no problem at all. About two years ago I got hit at roughly 110mph from behind. Needless to say the car that got shoved under mine was destroyed and the police/EMTs stated that if I were in any other car I would have died on impact. The car still drives like a dream and you can't tell anything bad happened to it. It's the most reliable car I'd ever heard of. My only complaint? The rising gas prices.

Favorite Features

Safety features, bose stereo system, 6-cd changer

Suggested Improvements

MPG

A Homerun
By danimal

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm researching my Pathfinder and had to jump in with my review. Nissan did extremely right by this vehicle and gave every owner what they paid for including this meticulous driver. My pathfinder has been virtually maintenance free on the replacement repairs but I maintain it in OCD style. I rated the MPG a little higher than most because you have to take into consideration the high performance motor powering it and this is why I purchased it. Never has a vehicle satisfied Me, with the exception of our G35, as this one.In a world of MPG crazed, gutless vehicles, I'll take my Pathy and pay for it all day. Do your own research and drive a few as I did and you will agree.

Favorite Features

Performance, Timeless Style, Safety and Utilitarian features. Plus it's all you see running around the Mid Eastern and African Continents!

Suggested Improvements

Reintroduce this style Pathfinder back into the Nissan lineup. New style is way to bulky.

4th Pathfinder, still love them
By Lawrence Acabah

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 4th, starting with a 92, had 200k when I sold it, the other 2 were killed by stupid drivers, the latest has been great. The only major issue I have had is when 2 of my injectors failed, it took a while to find the problem but when the dealership mechanic got it he found it right away. Other than that it has been a solid performing vehicle. I use mine for work and family so it is high miles, currently at 180k but it looks and drives like a much newer vehicle. I can see where Nissan has skimped over the years with quality of the interior materials but with the 01 it appeared to come back a bit. Power is perfect for its size. For its age and what it is I have no complaints.

Favorite Features

tire size, steering wheel controls, frigid AC, seat warmers, folding rear seats, power of acceleration when needed.

Suggested Improvements

storage is weak, much wasted space. steering wheel tilt mechanism is cheese, the 92 was better in application. cd disc changer is a known fail point, mine did.

Huge disappointment
By Robert

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it with 87,000 miles and did all the due diligence with a weekend test drive, private mechanic checkout and carfax. Vehicle was a 1-owner trade and exceptionally clean. Nothing but a disappointment. Cat converters, O2 sensor issues, mass air flow, tie rod ends and wheel bearings were replaced a year later. CD changer doesn't work, bad o-ring oil seals, overheats in hot weather due to an air pocket in the cooling system the dealer couldn't even clear out, windows move slowly, transmission slips in cold weather. Looks like the exhaust resonator I put on is its 3rd one. Fan amplifier control module burned out. Left side sits a bit low so I suspect a bad strut.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling (drives like a car, not a truck), performance. 4WD is great. Nicely appointed interior.

Suggested Improvements

Not a very well engineered vehicle. No excuse for the number of problems, especially for a vehicle built in Japan. I think Nissan had some financial problems 10 years ago and it shows in the quality of the vehicle. Sorry to say that I'll have to stick with Honda and Toyota in the future.

Love this vehicle
By lit

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased with 33k and I'm now at 156k with no major problems. The car runs like the day I purchased and is extremely comfortable. I will say it's not great for tall people. All my brothers and my husband are at or over 6' 2" and their heads are skimming the roof. My cd player died about 6 mo ago but I still have the tape and radio (and a 2 year old so when do I listen to my own music anyway?). I don't complain about the mileage either. What do you expect for a truck? I will say this: my last long highway trip I did get 20 mpg (for the 2nd time) but usually I'm at 17+ around town. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I have to buy a replacement!

Favorite Features

great, comfortable driving seat, interior layout.

Suggested Improvements

wished the headlights went on when wipers are turned on.

Overall a good vehicle
By HebrewDoc

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced my 1997 GMC Yukon with my 2001 Pathfinder SE. I got it used with 42,000 miles and now I have 96,000 on it. I use it for daily commuting and deer hunting. It goes off-road like a mountain goat. It is much smaller than the Yukon but handles all my hunting stuff pretty well (I have a hitch haul for the deer). It rides smoothly on the highway and handles well. My only disappointment has been the unreliability of the sensors. It has 3 oxygen sensors, and I have replaced each one ($350 a pop). The mass flow sensor also went out ($550). Fairly bullet-proof other than that. I intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.

Favorite Features

Off-road ability, smooth highway ride, about 20 mpg in highway driving, plenty of engine power, looks good after a decade of use, no rattles, solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Something is very wrong with the reliability of the vehicle's sensors.

Check Engine Light Problems
By rjd44

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Pathfinder. They are nice looking vehicles and fun to drive. Poor mileage. My son has my 97 and still running great with 157K and using no oil. I now have 123K on my 2001 and is running well except for ongoing check engine light problems that no one seems to be able to fix. The check engine light has been on continuously for 4 years now. I've had O2 sensors, mass air flow sensors, cat converters, coils, etc.. This is frustrating! With all the problems of this kind listed in these reviews, why has this not been a recall?

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, Bose stereo sound is good, nice looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage-15mpg, Check engine light issues, windows in cold weather don't work, radio/CD display failures, poor quality struts - need replacement every 40K, poor rear suspension that sags when towing my boat.