2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Sort Reviews by

Approaching 210,000 miles!
By Jeff

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it ever since. I came close to trading it in several times...Thank God I didn't. Till this day, it runs great, sounds great and looks great. Very minimal scratches, mostly because I don't mind hiking it across the parking lot to get to the store. Other then your basic wear & tear and routine maintenance, I've had zero problems. Without question, the best vehicle I've ever owned. The most expensive service I had was an oil leak from a seal that needed to be replaced between the engine and transmission (not sure what it's called). That bill came in around $550 mostly because of the labor. I'll keep this car till it dies, it's a keeper!

Favorite Features

I love the tan leather interior with the wood trim, always have! Till this day, the car runs smoothly and is very quietly. This vehicle also handles very well in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

I would like this car to have more power, seems a little sluggish once the light turns green. However, I would much rather deal with that then another car payment.

I absolutely love this Pathfinder
By MBro

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV

I just bought this 2000 LE from my Aunt, I've been loving every second of it. This vehicle has plenty of storage, versatility, and luxury features. It's loaded with everything they had at that time. Even with 153,000 miles it still sounds brand new, and no one believes me when I tell them that it has that many miles.

Favorite Features

Automatic Climate Control, Sunroof, Dual Power Seats, Fog Lights, and Ease of Folding Rear Seats. I also love the 21 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a smoother ride and a more powerful engine.

160K and still going strong!
By FireRed1220

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle with 103K miles on it in 2006, I replaced the water pump and timing belt @ 105K miles, the harmonic balancer went out @ the same time and I had that replaced as well, other than that, which as far as I'm concerned are just normal maintenance issues, Excellent Vehicle. I have a growing family and need a bigger vehicle, but I would love to keep this just to see how much I can get out of it.

Favorite Features

Good amount of power for a small SUV, shifts and drives very smoothly, clothe seats are very comfortable and very stain resistant, 4WD although rarely used is very solid and pulls through very well, low cost to own, exterior and interior build quality are excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be great, I average about 17 mpg even with 160K miles on it, I would like the vehicle to be a little bigger, but you can't always get everything you want, gas mileage vs size.

Good, solid vehicle
By Kagan

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Some of the reviewers really amaze me. Do people really feel maintenance items are a reflection of a car's quality? Having to replace tires, brakes, shocks, etc. These are not reliability issues. These are regular maintenance items for ALL vehicles. My PF now has 110K miles. I've had to replace a bad Speed Sensor, and worn suspension bushings. The vehicle starts up without hesitation every day, runs great, and will get me wherever I need to be. I've had many other vehicles that start falling apart at 50K with major mechanical issues. If these cars require some maintenance, its because they run an awfully long time. I'd rather have the burden of maint. than another car junked.

Favorite Features

Overall reliability, and flawless 4WD system. Outstanding drive and handling for a non cross-over, true 4WD truck. Simplicity of design.

Suggested Improvements

Not crazy about the seating and lack of adjustments to steering wheel and/or pedals. But this is apples/oranges, as these features didn't become available on cars until fairly recently. If this car had the comfort features of a newer design, I would drive it forever.

140K and kicking along
By Solar Star

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 10/2002 with 36k. Not much by way of maintenance to report until the last couple of yrs. Pretty reliable. I did get stranded early on with the Ignition, but then NOTHING out of the ordinary until 125k. Maintenance: @ 60K replaced Ignition Key Switch-$100 @ 75K minor brake work and tires-$600 (including the cost of tires) @ 125K replaced timing belt, hoses water pump etc.-$1200 Now at 140K and the exhaust needs replacing & steering is jacked up. Mechanic says the rack and pinion bushings are deteriorated. Rear shocks need to be replaced--$18-2000. Only going to bring a couple grand in trade-in, so probably going to pay the $2k with hopes of a couple more yrs of life!

Favorite Features

Love the heated seats and stereo. Up until the last 18mos, the reliability was wonderful. I bought it to last, and I am not let down. If latest round of repairs can gain me 2 yrs of life on the Pathfinder, that is far better than giving it away in trade-in. The cargo capacity is larger than expected

Suggested Improvements

16mpg average over life of vehicle. Sluggish performance when merging. Seats can be a little hard on long trips. The tan leather is hard to keep clean.

Best Car I have ever had!
By GracieM

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV

I have owned my Nissan Pathfinder now for nearly 3 years, and I have to say that I am very impressed. I am so impressed by the handling of the SUV, it rides as comfortable as a Cadillac or Buick and has had absolutely no problems. The gas mileage stinks, but I knew that going into it. This truly is a luxury SUV for the year. I will drive this until the wheels fall, which will probably be for a very long time, but when it does happen I will definitely buy another.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system, leather interior, all of the power features.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

80000 miles and very few problems
By Saurus

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Approaching 80k miles now and in the 6 years i have owned this vehicle it has required: 1. Oxygen sensor replaced at 50k - about $100 2. Exhaust worn out and replaced at 75k -probably due to amount of snow driving and salty roads up here in Canada 3. Tires replaced at 50k and 80k. I am very happy with this truck, it never breaks down on me.

Favorite Features

Reliability, cloth seats very comfortable and supportive, trunk space large

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy

Still Going Strong at 171K.
By Peace

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV

Purchased this car in Oct. 1999, and it's a very good car to my family of 4. In the past 10 years I haven't got any issues to the engine. The original parts still in the engine such as timing belt or chain, sparks plugs, all the belts, air conditioning unit, fluid, ect. The only parts that have replaced is suspension on the front/back, tires, front brake, oil change every 7-10k, and air filter every 25k. The passenger window wouldn't work about 5 years now, but who cares! Currently the trade-in value for my car is $1600. Therefore, I wouldn't pass up on the cash clunkers deal, and hopefully my new 2010 Honda Pilot have a same performance like this car.

Favorite Features

Bose system.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, and power window.

Checking in-passed 100K
By chuckfromli

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Maybe I am reviewing this thing too often, LOL. Just wanted to check in as it passed 100K a month ago. Haven't had to put any money into it lately, but did put about $2500 into it in 2007-2008. It got new wheel bearings all around, a new pulley, new timing belt and water pump, new exhaust, sway bar bushings, and the differential fluid changed. That was a lot of money for two years, but it hadn't really needed much until it got to be about 7 years old and had 80K on it or so. I think that' pretty good. Any old car is going to need repairs. Also, I retired and now I realize that the gas mileage stinks, LOL! All those years I was driving mostly highway and getting 16. Now it's all suburban and 11

Favorite Features

Still love the Bose system and the sunroof. Still THE most comfortable car I've ever had as far as the seats. The support on the leather seats is still good and I'm over 215 lbs. Most cars, after five or six years of driving, feel like I'm sitting in a hole. Also, the steering is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

What can I say? Make it get 20 MPG? That's the only improvement I could think of. I always felt they should build this with a diesel engine of similar HP, maybe 160-170. It would still be just as slow, or leisurely, but then it would probably get that 20 MPG. I would buy one like that in a minute.

1999.5 One of the Few
By Barbara

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV

We bought this new in 1999 and the models ran out, so Nissan created a 1999.5 with a brochure and everything, but it is a 2000 model SE with the 16 inch wheels.It's gold and with the pipe step racks. Never had any serious repairs, i.e. no timing belts, struts, etc. Change the oil every 5000 miles with the filter and purchased new tires only once in 77,000 miles. Great room in the back and seats 5 comfortably. Extremely comfortable inside and not as big overall as the new ones that look and drive like tanks. The mileage is 18 to 20 on the highway, but 16 around town, but regular gas. It's been a great SUV with a Bose system thrown in when we bought it at no charge.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, plush interior, great visibility and trunk area.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, costs of every little thing through the dealers are too high.