1999 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
I love it!
By Medic1 on 01/24/09 23:09 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this vehicle and I LOVE it! It has 175k and it still runs strong! There are some problems, nothing you wouldn't expect with a car this old with that many miles but for the price I'd say I got a pretty good deal. Lots of power and so much fun to drive. It has brand new firestone tires-can't shift into 2 hi 4 hi or 4 low due to the transfer case leaking and some other leak- so I haven't really had a chance to test the 4WD, but it's still an amazing car and it starts every morning!

Great mid-size 4X4 SUV
By Stocktonpathy on 01/08/09 16:39 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Pathfinder SE used with 89,000 to with replace a 1987 Pathfinder SE 4X4 5 speed with 277,000 miles. This has many more creature comforts than the '87 did. But the '87 was be more trail ready (full frame, skid plates, etc). I too had to replace the struts and shocks. I recently upgraded my tires to a set of All Terrains too. I do need to replace some weather stripping between the doors. The Bose stereo is nice, but the volume knob doesn't work right. I kinda have to pull up some so the contacts work. I also added a Sirius satellite receiver for long trips.

Good truck posing as car
By pathbuddy on 10/03/08 08:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used and have put 40000 miles on it in 5 years. Have had to replace struts, exhaust and ignition switch. Currently have a check engine light on for sensors in the block, probably will cost $1G. I like sitting up high and instruments easily reachable. I also had that experience with the gas cap door, though mine is just out of alignment. Mileage is acceptable 18. I'm getting some rust on the exterior of the step bar outside the doors, nowhere else. Will have to replace the timing belt shortly because I have 80000 on it now. I don't know if it is the tires but I get a humming at high speeds.

I'll never get rid of it
By BOB on 05/29/08 06:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV new in 1999 and after 110,000 miles it's still going strong. Replaced the front struts at 60k and the timing belt at 107k. The only problem I've had is the gas tank door breaking from its hinges. When I buy a new car I'll still keep it. It has given me zero problems.

Kelli's word
By Kelli Porzio on 01/19/07 18:47 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

It has been a great SUV. It taken many road trips. I have had not mechanical problems and at 125,000 it's still running great!

Great SUV
By Steve on 01/24/06 17:16 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

Bought used in 2002 at 61k miles. It has been a pleasure to own, reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. Very smooth in the city and highway and you can't beat it in the snow. Go for the SE or LE for style,leather, heated seats, bose stereo. Gas mileage is typical for an SUV. Engine is improved in 1999.5. Struts replaced at 70k miles.

Reliable SUV
By Derek on 01/21/06 13:08 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (1999.5)

This has been a reliable SUV for us. Poor gas mileage has made us trade in our other car to get one with higher gas mileage. The Pathfinder drives more like a truck due to the noise of the motor and low HP. The only two problems we have had are as follows: O2 sensor went out, and the gas tank door broke. Other than that it has been a reliable car. The leather isn't that nice and the display is kind of dated, but what do you expect from a 1999. We don't like the new Pathfinders, so we will probably trade in for a different SUV.

Real nice suv
By BIGRON on 09/20/05 16:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD (1999.5)

I purchased this vehicle in july of 1999. It has been the most reliable automobile I have ever owned. After breaking it in I changed to Mobil 1 motor oil, got two more MPG and it has been and outstanding dependable SUV. The car has never seen the dealership for any warrantee or recalls. That is how much you can count on this car everyday. Just turn the key and no matter the weather (4X4) your on you way. Now some six years old, these SUVs are great for college students. Offering plenty of room, not bad MPG 18-20, and a strong truck frame & body to protect your young drivers. What would you like to see you student driving? A small Civic or a REAL SOLID TRUCK? Sometimes bigger is better.

great in head-on
By ellen black on 08/25/05 11:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (1999.5)

This is my second Pathfinder. I was in a head on collision in my first at 45mph with my daughter in the front seat. Both cars were totaled, but we both walked away. I had whiplash, but by daughter was unscratched. Accelerator pedal sticks, doesn't handle well on turns, and the fuel economy is awful, plus there are small rust spots around passanger door windows already, after 60,000 miles. I'm still mostly happy with it.

OK Vehicle
By dave on 06/04/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have overall been happy with my vehicle. Fuel economy is poor and HP is low, but it is fairly comfortable and has been reliable. My only mechanical problem has been a check engine light that read out as an oxygen sensor failure.