Used 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Love my pathfinder
By JAZ

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Solid reliable transportation, fun to drive, safe, little hard on gas, if you do the maintinance it will last forever. 240,000 and going strong.

Bose stero and strong engine

Better gas economy

I love it!
By Medic1

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this vehicle and I LOVE it! It has 175k and it still runs strong! There are some problems, nothing you wouldn't expect with a car this old with that many miles but for the price I'd say I got a pretty good deal. Lots of power and so much fun to drive. It has brand new firestone tires-can't shift into 2 hi 4 hi or 4 low due to the transfer case leaking and some other leak- so I haven't really had a chance to test the 4WD, but it's still an amazing car and it starts every morning!

interior layout, exterior, SUN ROOF!

Fix the volume knob on the stereo system, better hp and better gas mileage

Great mid-size 4X4 SUV
By Stocktonpathy

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Pathfinder SE used with 89,000 to with replace a 1987 Pathfinder SE 4X4 5 speed with 277,000 miles. This has many more creature comforts than the '87 did. But the '87 was be more trail ready (full frame, skid plates, etc). I too had to replace the struts and shocks. I recently upgraded my tires to a set of All Terrains too. I do need to replace some weather stripping between the doors. The Bose stereo is nice, but the volume knob doesn't work right. I kinda have to pull up some so the contacts work. I also added a Sirius satellite receiver for long trips.

Dash layout, rear limited slip differential, Bose stereo, rear reclining seats.

Ditch the struts and go back to shocks, the big opening below the front turn signals, a roof rack that doesn't have paint peel off of it. A rear bumper that is covered out of metal

I'll never get rid of it
By BOB

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV new in 1999 and after 110,000 miles it's still going strong. Replaced the front struts at 60k and the timing belt at 107k. The only problem I've had is the gas tank door breaking from its hinges. When I buy a new car I'll still keep it. It has given me zero problems.

4X4 and ride

Stronger welds on gas tank door.

Crashing these
By CrashTestDummy

1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I want to mention the "tippiness" of the SUV. I'd noticed this prior, and although I know not to speed around curves and live deep in the country, I hit one a little too fast to swerve for animals- which I ended up doing. The truck smashed into trees on drivers side, swerved too hard,went across the road, rolled over about 2/3 onto the roof, hit a tiny hill,righted itself & smashed the passenger side into a group of small trees. I had my seatbelt on & my child wasn't in the car.ALL THAT HAPPENNED TO ME WERE LARGE PAINFUL RIB BRUISES from the seatbelt. EVERY window was smashed and the passenger roof partially crumpled. You could not open the doors.