1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
One to Keep
By judger21 on 04/21/12 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our 98 Pathfinder LE new ('back in the day') & have loved it ever since. Basic & expected maintenance only & rolling strong at 189,000 miles & counting. Does everything & still is the backbone of the family fleet (Altima & Juke) in terms of usability, versatility (boat, dogs etc.), safety, & confidence in bad weather. Will drive it until either I or it give(s) out.

Good SUV
By Sean on 03/19/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used at 68K and currently have 135K on it. It runs well and I've had no major issues. Everything I have fixed I would consider it maintenance with most being done after 100K. Starter, alternator, water pump, timing belt, brakes, shocks, struts, tires, exhaust. Has a "tick" in the engine at colder temp's but goes away. The brakes are "grabby" but it could be the calipers going.

damn
By pathfinders on 08/29/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Now I've owned 3 pathfinders so far. A 94, a 96, and a 98. I have had this one only since October and stopped driving it end of July. In those months I have bought 4 brand new tires, struts, shocks, front brakes, front drivers side axle, water pump, radiator hose, timing belt, ball joints/u joints, bushings and bearings on control arms, new evap system purge valve and canister, and then the recall was fixed, and last but not least my transmission just went and my knock sensor and my control arms need to be replaced. Im still looking for a new pathfinder but I wouldnt suggest a 98 or younger to anyone.

The loud (music) pathfinder
By The ish on 08/11/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV

build quality is amazing gas mileage is good for a 90s suv i get better than the ratings even in town only driving brakes are my only minor complaint! they squeal slightly on mine but i heard the noise deaddeners on the breaks were recallede maybe thats the problem and the grab weird but i had a little car for 3 years so its probably me

Cash For Clunkers Victim
By Ace Skater on 07/12/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

I bought my Pathfinder brand new in 1998 and it's still going strong 220,000 miles later. Cabin held up well and still looks great. Things to watch out for: real axle seals (leaked, had to have both replaced), fuel throttle body (replaced, was sticking from bad fuel and had a coolant leak), AC (replaced compressor, replaced fan speed switch (x2), replaced blower motor and its speed control resistor (x2), harness wires toasted from being too thin), and that coolant rubber hose inside the engine (!) that gets overlooked when replacing the timing belt, water pump, and other hoses.) All-in-all it's been an AWESOME truck for me! Definitely buy one if you can find one that's been well maintained.

Satisfied for what it is
By John Doe on 03/12/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned the SUV for almost 4 yrs and put in 30K+ miles. Serves my purpose well as a daily driver and offers alot of utility. Taken it for skiing as well as runs to Home Depot and such. Cargo capacity is good w/seats folded. Biggest complaint is mpg as I only manage 14mpg, but within estimated range. Handling at highway speed not the best, but that's a given since its based on an outdated truck platform. Wet/snow performance is good so long as tires are up to task. The Bose stereo is a major PITA to replace as modification to the OEM Bose speakers are necessary. Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheaper 4WD vehicle that offers good reliability and adequate driving characteristics.

One of my Better Decisions
By mainemarty on 02/23/09 08:54 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used in 2001 with 41,600 miles on it-have 144000+ on it now without a squeak or rattle. It's a workhorse, but also a funhorse! A rock solid, reliable multitasker that hauls people, boats, kayaks and auction treasures. An enjoyable drive except for the lack of power and a wider-than-expected turning radius. Interior fit and finish is solid. Significant blind spots, though, and deafening wind noise when the moon roof is open - can't hear the radio on the highway! Seat belts drive me nuts - don't retract properly, even after several visits to the dealer. Took off running board tubes - rusted out on the driver side. Small stuff - will keep until it falls apart.

Good SUV
By Sean S. on 02/04/09 09:31 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this one for almost 6 years and have been quite pleased. Powertrain is rock solid with no issues. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, starter, alternator, brakes, struts and exhaust. All things I consider maintenance and not done until the last couple years. Access to back seats is awkward, several people have hit their heads getting in. The gas mileage stinks which is expected. The engine is somewhat underpowered but wouldn't trade it for the reliability. The ride is decent, a little stiff but it's an SUV. Front seats are comfy and the flip down rear seats give you a lot of room to haul.

Pathfinder owner for five years
By Old Guy on 07/07/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Owner purchased this model used and rates this vehicle as above average in reliabilty.

I love my Pathfinder :)
By pathfinder on 04/11/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Pathfinder almost 3 years and I love it. I live down curvy roads and it handles them beautifully at 55. The only problem I have had is the brakes and that's partly my fault because I am harder on them than most people. It is a quiet and smooth ride. I got it at 94000 miles and had a few regular maintance things fixed but other than that its been great. I do have a little oil and antifreeze leak, but the vehicle does have over 140,000 miles on it! So if you are looking into the Pathfinder I would definitely suggest it - it's very easy and fun to drive:)