1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Good SUV
By Sean S. on 02/04/09 09:31 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this one for almost 6 years and have been quite pleased. Powertrain is rock solid with no issues. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, starter, alternator, brakes, struts and exhaust. All things I consider maintenance and not done until the last couple years. Access to back seats is awkward, several people have hit their heads getting in. The gas mileage stinks which is expected. The engine is somewhat underpowered but wouldn't trade it for the reliability. The ride is decent, a little stiff but it's an SUV. Front seats are comfy and the flip down rear seats give you a lot of room to haul.

super reliability
By Tim on 05/02/05 03:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

awesome handling in snow. super reliable -100K miles with no major faults, just standard maint. such as brake pads and worn clutch.

Nissan Never Again
By robertk on 01/04/05 13:59 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Recently bought this 1998 Pathfinderw ith only 59,000 miles. I drove it only 3,500 miles over a nine month period and the transmission died. I would have had better luck with a Chevy or Ford! The driver seat is small and uncomfortable. The gas milage is terrible, but I knew that buying it. The back seats' fold down setup is poor. The rear window leaks and the front windows don't close tight enough to stop the howl at higher speeds. I used the ratings and comments on this site to make the choice to buy this SUV. I really don't like this truck and now I feel like I made a bad choice.

I'm buying another one
By 98pathfinder on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

With 175000 miles, the engine runs great. The tranny in 4WD isn't as smooth anymore, but how can I complain. I've never needed a major repair (the original rear brakes are still on the thing) and routine maintenance is easy to handle. I drive it tough and it still does what I want, when I want it, without a complaint. Except for the mysterious service engine soon light, reliability and quality have never been an issue.

One of best motor vehicles I have owned
By Fleetwood on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned many cars, trucks, and motorcycles over many decades. Without reservation I can say that this Pathfinder is one of the very best vehicles I have ever owned. I would recommend both current and older Pathfinders to people who find superb reliability more important than e.t.'s at the drag strip. The mileage is higher than one can rightfully expect from a truck framed 4WD vehicle with enough power to be a serious off and on rode ride with exceptional sure footedness.

Nissan Pathfinder XE - 1998
By Dave Murray on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Almost the perfect SUV. Reliable, comfortable, tows well. Good in snow and sand. Gas mileage characteristically poor (15 city; 18 highway). At 50,000, had two electrical components fail (about $200 each). Otherwise, totally reliable. I'd definitely buy another.

Pathfinder - Excellent!!
By Pathfinder Owner on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

You can't go wrong with this SUV. It is both reliable and fun to drive!!

Pathfinder
By vmi82 on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

It was extremely dependable, but not as good as others on gas.

GARBAGE
By JOHNHMFIC on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

PIECE OF JUNK DOESN,T BEGIN TO CAMPARE TO TOYOTA DO NOT BUY THE 39 MONTH LEASE BECAUSE AS THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT THE JUNK FALLS APART.