Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Good SUV
By Sean S.

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this one for almost 6 years and have been quite pleased. Powertrain is rock solid with no issues. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, starter, alternator, brakes, struts and exhaust. All things I consider maintenance and not done until the last couple years. Access to back seats is awkward, several people have hit their heads getting in. The gas mileage stinks which is expected. The engine is somewhat underpowered but wouldn't trade it for the reliability. The ride is decent, a little stiff but it's an SUV. Front seats are comfy and the flip down rear seats give you a lot of room to haul.

Very reliable vehicle, 4x4, cheaper compared to other foreign built SUVs.

Gas mileage, rear seat access

super reliability
By Tim

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

awesome handling in snow. super reliable -100K miles with no major faults, just standard maint. such as brake pads and worn clutch.

reliability.

The engine is a bit underpowered compared to today's offerings in this class.

Nissan Never Again
By robertk

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Recently bought this 1998 Pathfinderw ith only 59,000 miles. I drove it only 3,500 miles over a nine month period and the transmission died. I would have had better luck with a Chevy or Ford! The driver seat is small and uncomfortable. The gas milage is terrible, but I knew that buying it. The back seats' fold down setup is poor. The rear window leaks and the front windows don't close tight enough to stop the howl at higher speeds. I used the ratings and comments on this site to make the choice to buy this SUV. I really don't like this truck and now I feel like I made a bad choice.

None actually.

Like everyone has said, better performance and better gas milage would be nice. It only has 190 HP. My little Hyundai has 140HP. There is something wrong with the engineering here.

I'm buying another one
By 98pathfinder

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

With 175000 miles, the engine runs great. The tranny in 4WD isn't as smooth anymore, but how can I complain. I've never needed a major repair (the original rear brakes are still on the thing) and routine maintenance is easy to handle. I drive it tough and it still does what I want, when I want it, without a complaint. Except for the mysterious service engine soon light, reliability and quality have never been an issue.

Love the cassette deck and CD, smooth ride, agility, cargo space, braking, and performance in deep snow. Does a capable job off road with solid construction.

Rear seat needs room, need storage for the headrests when folding down the seats, and maybe get some automatic 4WD like the Explorer and Trailblazer for the future, but who cares, this thing's great

One of best motor vehicles I have owned
By Fleetwood

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned many cars, trucks, and motorcycles over many decades. Without reservation I can say that this Pathfinder is one of the very best vehicles I have ever owned. I would recommend both current and older Pathfinders to people who find superb reliability more important than e.t.'s at the drag strip. The mileage is higher than one can rightfully expect from a truck framed 4WD vehicle with enough power to be a serious off and on rode ride with exceptional sure footedness.

The drive train is "bullet proof."

The original 3.3 liter V6, as found in this vehicle, is a bit underpowered. That needed improvement came along with the newer 3.5 liter currently being used.