Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

So far so good
By brian

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my pathfinder over a year ago for two thousand dollars. It had 213,000 miles on it. I now have 216,000, so I don't drive very much. It is a good car for driving around town, but sometimes it gets shaky on the freeway. It will rock back and forth until I slow down a little or speed up. It has been a reliable car so far. After I purchased it last year, I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and belts because I did not know when they were done last. I have never used the four wheel drive.

Good SUV
By Sean

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used at 68K and currently have 135K on it. It runs well and I've had no major issues. Everything I have fixed I would consider it maintenance with most being done after 100K. Starter, alternator, water pump, timing belt, brakes, shocks, struts, tires, exhaust. Has a "tick" in the engine at colder temp's but goes away. The brakes are "grabby" but it could be the calipers going.

4x4, reliability, heated mirrors

Engine a tad under powered, better exterior components (chrome bumpers are rusting away)

damn
By pathfinders

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Now I've owned 3 pathfinders so far. A 94, a 96, and a 98. I have had this one only since October and stopped driving it end of July. In those months I have bought 4 brand new tires, struts, shocks, front brakes, front drivers side axle, water pump, radiator hose, timing belt, ball joints/u joints, bushings and bearings on control arms, new evap system purge valve and canister, and then the recall was fixed, and last but not least my transmission just went and my knock sensor and my control arms need to be replaced. Im still looking for a new pathfinder but I wouldnt suggest a 98 or younger to anyone.

the sunroof the ride was nice and the look.

transmission. i was told by a mechanic that the only thing that failed in the pathfinder transmissions was the planetaries. i think i spelt that right.

Satisfied for what it is
By John Doe

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned the SUV for almost 4 yrs and put in 30K+ miles. Serves my purpose well as a daily driver and offers alot of utility. Taken it for skiing as well as runs to Home Depot and such. Cargo capacity is good w/seats folded. Biggest complaint is mpg as I only manage 14mpg, but within estimated range. Handling at highway speed not the best, but that's a given since its based on an outdated truck platform. Wet/snow performance is good so long as tires are up to task. The Bose stereo is a major PITA to replace as modification to the OEM Bose speakers are necessary. Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheaper 4WD vehicle that offers good reliability and adequate driving characteristics.

4WD, utilitarian cargo space, and off- road capability

Stronger engine, better rust-proofing on chassis components, as my stepbar and exhaust has rusted. Gas mileage is subpar for a V-6.

One of my Better Decisions
By mainemarty

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used in 2001 with 41,600 miles on it-have 144000+ on it now without a squeak or rattle. It's a workhorse, but also a funhorse! A rock solid, reliable multitasker that hauls people, boats, kayaks and auction treasures. An enjoyable drive except for the lack of power and a wider-than-expected turning radius. Interior fit and finish is solid. Significant blind spots, though, and deafening wind noise when the moon roof is open - can't hear the radio on the highway! Seat belts drive me nuts - don't retract properly, even after several visits to the dealer. Took off running board tubes - rusted out on the driver side. Small stuff - will keep until it falls apart.

Reliability, handling, sound system, styling, cargo room, 4WD performance in snow, driver comfort.

Snappier seat belt retractors, moon roof wind deflector, more power, better mileage, interior opener for rear door, better placement of cruise control switch, bigger cup holders.