1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Good SUV
By Sean on 03/19/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used at 68K and currently have 135K on it. It runs well and I've had no major issues. Everything I have fixed I would consider it maintenance with most being done after 100K. Starter, alternator, water pump, timing belt, brakes, shocks, struts, tires, exhaust. Has a "tick" in the engine at colder temp's but goes away. The brakes are "grabby" but it could be the calipers going.

damn
By pathfinders on 08/29/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Now I've owned 3 pathfinders so far. A 94, a 96, and a 98. I have had this one only since October and stopped driving it end of July. In those months I have bought 4 brand new tires, struts, shocks, front brakes, front drivers side axle, water pump, radiator hose, timing belt, ball joints/u joints, bushings and bearings on control arms, new evap system purge valve and canister, and then the recall was fixed, and last but not least my transmission just went and my knock sensor and my control arms need to be replaced. Im still looking for a new pathfinder but I wouldnt suggest a 98 or younger to anyone.

Satisfied for what it is
By John Doe on 03/12/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned the SUV for almost 4 yrs and put in 30K+ miles. Serves my purpose well as a daily driver and offers alot of utility. Taken it for skiing as well as runs to Home Depot and such. Cargo capacity is good w/seats folded. Biggest complaint is mpg as I only manage 14mpg, but within estimated range. Handling at highway speed not the best, but that's a given since its based on an outdated truck platform. Wet/snow performance is good so long as tires are up to task. The Bose stereo is a major PITA to replace as modification to the OEM Bose speakers are necessary. Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheaper 4WD vehicle that offers good reliability and adequate driving characteristics.

One of my Better Decisions
By mainemarty on 02/23/09 08:54 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used in 2001 with 41,600 miles on it-have 144000+ on it now without a squeak or rattle. It's a workhorse, but also a funhorse! A rock solid, reliable multitasker that hauls people, boats, kayaks and auction treasures. An enjoyable drive except for the lack of power and a wider-than-expected turning radius. Interior fit and finish is solid. Significant blind spots, though, and deafening wind noise when the moon roof is open - can't hear the radio on the highway! Seat belts drive me nuts - don't retract properly, even after several visits to the dealer. Took off running board tubes - rusted out on the driver side. Small stuff - will keep until it falls apart.

Pathfinder owner for five years
By Old Guy on 07/07/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Owner purchased this model used and rates this vehicle as above average in reliabilty.

I love my Pathfinder :)
By pathfinder on 04/11/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Pathfinder almost 3 years and I love it. I live down curvy roads and it handles them beautifully at 55. The only problem I have had is the brakes and that's partly my fault because I am harder on them than most people. It is a quiet and smooth ride. I got it at 94000 miles and had a few regular maintance things fixed but other than that its been great. I do have a little oil and antifreeze leak, but the vehicle does have over 140,000 miles on it! So if you are looking into the Pathfinder I would definitely suggest it - it's very easy and fun to drive:)

Excellent reliability, great in snow
By dhdriver on 11/30/07 09:53 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used at 85k, now it's at 126k and I have had only 1 single problem with it (sway link). Literally have only changed the oil, driven it in snow for a year in Boston, then moved back to CA and gone to Tahoe several times, it handles great with the 4wd. Only wish is for better mileage (16-19 mpg), but of course it's an suv, and it's the most dependable car I've owned, so can't complain too much.

enjoyed, but wonder now
By jwwilcox on 09/02/06 16:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

My vehicle has 93,000 miles, has seen mostly city 2x4 usage, snow 4x4 high, and little 4x4 low usage. I've owned it for 60,000 of the miles and purchased it 2000 with few needed repairs. It has a great look to it, and 4wd mode is great in snow. The engine is a bit underpowered compared to other SUV's, but its a comfortable ride. Gas mileage is 16-18 mpg. Suddenly this vehicle seems to be falling apart. This year, I've had to completely replace both muffler systems ($700), brakes ($120 ceramic), rotors ($300), right and left sway bar links ($240), struts, and mounts (estimate $800), and now my transmission (estimate $2800). I'm now looking for a new car. When this car goes bad, its bad.

Happy Pathfinder
By Happy Pathfinder on 08/25/06 13:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought my Pathfinder. Had been Looking for a used SUV that was a good deal. Found this w/ 58,000 local, verified miles. Handles great! Runs well! Gas mileage could be better. Driver legroom could be better. Wish I could have gotten a different color. (it's black) Feel like I got a great deal. I think it will last me for the next 5 years and help keep the car payments away. Very happy so far.

1998 Pathfinder
By rckuhlman on 04/19/06 14:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent vehicle all around. This vehicle has been very reliable for my wife and I can see it lasting for many years to come. We did lose the rear differential ($800). Great in the snow. A very quiet ride. This truck seems new with over 100K on it.