Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Pretty Ignorant But Got Lucky
By luckyloulou

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

Back in 2004, when I needed a vehicle, I went into a small Mom & Pop used car dealership and said, "All I have is $10,000. What SUV's do you have?" They showed me one vehicle which happened to be a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder le. Looked good and I bought it, it had 80,000 miles on it. I was lucky! Sadly, she was wrecked/totaled the other day and had 260,000 total miles on her and was still going strong. Paint still looked good. I alone drove her 180,000 rough miles and spent a total of $9,509. in major n minor repairs/maintenance and tires in 10 yrs time. She had started every day of her life, except for when she had a dead battery, or alternator, or bad ignition coil. (R.I.P dear friend!)

Favorite Features

Reliability, good ride, strong through all weather conditions (mine never experienced the luxury of a garage in her lifetime), great paint-none lost, no rust until the very end, few major repairs (I spent a lot of money on replacing brakes, shocks, and tires but that was due to living in the backwoods of the Ozark Mtns in Arkansas). Sharp looking vehicle even in 2014, and 16 years old. Good for at least 260,000 miles and I was planning for many more. Did I say reliable yet? Reliable! Never a single regret for purchasing this vehicle! My next vehicle?....a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder with 83,000 mi, of course.

Suggested Improvements

Only a few complaints: Drivers side leather seat began splitting at the seam around 190,000 miles and got worse quickly. The P-1444 sensor kept going out, beginning around 179,000 mi (many $$ spent trying to get that fixed, finally did by going to an auto salvage and getting one from there). I'm thinking....but there's not any other suggested improvements that I can think of.

The loud (music) pathfinder
By The ish

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

build quality is amazing gas mileage is good for a 90s suv i get better than the ratings even in town only driving brakes are my only minor complaint! they squeal slightly on mine but i heard the noise deaddeners on the breaks were recallede maybe thats the problem and the grab weird but i had a little car for 3 years so its probably me

Favorite Features

Engine,chrome bumper tops look great on these cars oh and the fact that with 127,000 on it it still drives like new i wont buy another till this one dies at over 500,000 miles 127,000 miles is just broken in

Suggested Improvements

brake noise and grab, but once again the grab issue may just be me not use to suvs yet

Buy This SUV
By youngwalt

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

Extremely reliable, I purchased the vehicle used and saved a bundle. Because I researched the SUV before purchasing and found out it was a one owner lease, it helped me to make the decision to purchase it. I purchased the vehicle from a used car lot. The mileage was about 2,000 over expected, so far I still think It was one of my better vehicle purchases.

Favorite Features

leather seats, sunroof, quiet engine, smooth ride, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

More engine torque