Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Cash For Clunkers Victim
By Ace Skater

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought my Pathfinder brand new in 1998 and it's still going strong 220,000 miles later. Cabin held up well and still looks great. Things to watch out for: real axle seals (leaked, had to have both replaced), fuel throttle body (replaced, was sticking from bad fuel and had a coolant leak), AC (replaced compressor, replaced fan speed switch (x2), replaced blower motor and its speed control resistor (x2), harness wires toasted from being too thin), and that coolant rubber hose inside the engine (!) that gets overlooked when replacing the timing belt, water pump, and other hoses.) All-in-all it's been an AWESOME truck for me! Definitely buy one if you can find one that's been well maintained.

Favorite Features

Great value for what I paid, at the time a comparable Toyota 4Runner was $10,000 more. Other than that, I enjoyed having this SUV for the utility it provided. It was great having it after the bad '04 and '05 hurricane seasons - you can go over almost anything with this truck!

Suggested Improvements

Judging by the things that have failed over the years, Nissan needs to work on certain subsystems to improve their reliability. Beef up the electrical wiring harnesses. Higher power engine (was improved in subsequent model years).

Great SUV
By Mario Guerero

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I love this vehicle and you will too if you love the outdoors or hauling thing from the hardware store or the mall. Easy to park, and fun to drive, will get another one when the time comes.

Favorite Features

The tie downs in the rear are in good locations and on top.

Suggested Improvements

Move the oil filter to make it easier to get to.

Going to miss it
By kim

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

My 98 Pathfinder was my first car EVER! I had my heart set on one, and sure enough found one. AMAZING car! I just had to change the tires, but that's because the owner before me had put cheap ones on. I had NO problems what so ever! Trading it in however for a smaller car :( I'm just a poor college student and can't afford the gas anymore, however, friends tell me their Ford Explorers and Toyota Tacomas cost more to fill than the Pathfinder. I'm gonna miss my Pathfinder!

Favorite Features

The fact that I can drive over just about anything. Held my surfboard perfectly, huge trunk space. Back row seats were cool!

Suggested Improvements

Um, gas mileage? It cost me $43 to fill up, with the gas being 3 bucks a gallon, but it's probably the best mileage you can get for its size.

Survived
By survivor

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I did not have this car for long before I was in a wreck. Overall though, I would reccomend this car to anyone as long as they could pay the gas. One of the safest cars I have been in. Hit by an eighteen wheel on dirver's side. Airbags didn't go off. We suspect it was too much of a side impact to set them. Probably would have caused more injury if they did. Walked away with two minor cuts ( very minor...didn't know they were there until my mind could process what had just happened) and a slightly fractured shoulder. The fracture didn't keep me from using my arm though. Wreck was caused by my own stupidity. had car for only 3 months.

Favorite Features

Everything. Bose system extremely enjoyable. Very safe

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage which hopefully they have improved. Don't like styling of new Pathfinder.

Enjoyed this car immensely
By trspot22

1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I have had a great time owning this vehicle. It has been extremely reliable and hate to part with it but have out grown it family/space wise. I would recommend to my friends.