Used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

1998 Pathfinder 4x4
By buckeyes3108

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a good truck if it's taken care of. Previous owner lied about what he said he did to it, like regularly changing the oil. Took it to get fluids flushed a week after I got it and my mechanic said that was some dirty oil. I bought it with 175k miles on it for $2000 and I've put $3000 into it. New tires, brakes all around, new front axle, bearings repacked all the way around, rear shocks, alternator, battery and a few other maintenance repairs. Still needs front struts and catalytic converter. Has an oil leak. No rust. Other than that, I really love the truck. Took it 4-wheeling today in the snow. Fun. Giving the truck to my nephew when he turns 16. Hope he gets a lot of use out of it.

Favorite Features

4 wheeling in the snow!!!!!!

Pretty Ignorant But Got Lucky
By luckyloulou

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

Back in 2004, when I needed a vehicle, I went into a small Mom & Pop used car dealership and said, "All I have is $10,000. What SUV's do you have?" They showed me one vehicle which happened to be a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder le. Looked good and I bought it, it had 80,000 miles on it. I was lucky! Sadly, she was wrecked/totaled the other day and had 260,000 total miles on her and was still going strong. Paint still looked good. I alone drove her 180,000 rough miles and spent a total of $9,509. in major n minor repairs/maintenance and tires in 10 yrs time. She had started every day of her life, except for when she had a dead battery, or alternator, or bad ignition coil. (R.I.P dear friend!)

Favorite Features

Reliability, good ride, strong through all weather conditions (mine never experienced the luxury of a garage in her lifetime), great paint-none lost, no rust until the very end, few major repairs (I spent a lot of money on replacing brakes, shocks, and tires but that was due to living in the backwoods of the Ozark Mtns in Arkansas). Sharp looking vehicle even in 2014, and 16 years old. Good for at least 260,000 miles and I was planning for many more. Did I say reliable yet? Reliable! Never a single regret for purchasing this vehicle! My next vehicle?....a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder with 83,000 mi, of course.

Suggested Improvements

Only a few complaints: Drivers side leather seat began splitting at the seam around 190,000 miles and got worse quickly. The P-1444 sensor kept going out, beginning around 179,000 mi (many $$ spent trying to get that fixed, finally did by going to an auto salvage and getting one from there). I'm thinking....but there's not any other suggested improvements that I can think of.

One to Keep
By judger21

1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought our 98 Pathfinder LE new ('back in the day') & have loved it ever since. Basic & expected maintenance only & rolling strong at 189,000 miles & counting. Does everything & still is the backbone of the family fleet (Altima & Juke) in terms of usability, versatility (boat, dogs etc.), safety, & confidence in bad weather. Will drive it until either I or it give(s) out.

Favorite Features

LE was loaded at time & still has competitive bells & whistles.

Suggested Improvements

No real suggestions - as noted by others, breaks grab a bit & squeek a little in humid/wet weather, but who cares for the value it delivers. Fuel economy about as advertised & as expected for an SUV.

Good SUV
By Sean

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used at 68K and currently have 135K on it. It runs well and I've had no major issues. Everything I have fixed I would consider it maintenance with most being done after 100K. Starter, alternator, water pump, timing belt, brakes, shocks, struts, tires, exhaust. Has a "tick" in the engine at colder temp's but goes away. The brakes are "grabby" but it could be the calipers going.

Favorite Features

4x4, reliability, heated mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Engine a tad under powered, better exterior components (chrome bumpers are rusting away)

damn
By pathfinders

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Now I've owned 3 pathfinders so far. A 94, a 96, and a 98. I have had this one only since October and stopped driving it end of July. In those months I have bought 4 brand new tires, struts, shocks, front brakes, front drivers side axle, water pump, radiator hose, timing belt, ball joints/u joints, bushings and bearings on control arms, new evap system purge valve and canister, and then the recall was fixed, and last but not least my transmission just went and my knock sensor and my control arms need to be replaced. Im still looking for a new pathfinder but I wouldnt suggest a 98 or younger to anyone.

Favorite Features

the sunroof the ride was nice and the look.

Suggested Improvements

transmission. i was told by a mechanic that the only thing that failed in the pathfinder transmissions was the planetaries. i think i spelt that right.