So far so good. Nice SUV with gas mileage like a car.
By adspof on
1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV
Just bought it after selling my 1996 Ford Bronco which I loved but at 11 mpg was beginning to feel the pinch. So thought a stickshift 2 wheel drive Pathfinder would do the same as I don't 4x4 ever really. I like the lite but sturdy feel and I just feel like I am saving gas as I coast everywhere in nuetral 1/2 the time and use the gas the other 1/2 it seems. Only issues have been general maintenance stuff I guess, as never had to deal with on the Bronco. I have already had to to the front struts, carrier bearing at center of driveshaft, right side exhaust manifold (cracked), charcoal cannister, trailing arm bushings to stop "pathfinder death wobble". If paid a shop $2,000 so did on own.
Favorite Features
The design. It just looks sharp for being 1997. Seats fold flat pretty easily and good height to climb in and out of. Not really a good SUV for someone really tall or really fat because doors are tight, seat is tight and overall inside room tighter than say a Ford Escape. I am 5'10" 200 pounds so average and feels perfect. Like the stock wheels that came on the next level up from mine so bought a set with tires at local wrecker for $120 all 4. What an improvement over the silly steel wheels. Add some light tint all around and a pretty expensive looking ride in my opinion.
Suggested Improvements
Knocks sensor goes out on these so locate it somewhere it can actually be serviced easily. My god under the manifold? Really? Guy on Youtube has "Pathfinder Knocks Sensor Relocation" video that is excellent. 4 hour job now becomes 20 minutes. Wonderful!! Also I assume Nissan redesigned the rear trailing arms so that when the bushings go bad you don't wreck. You cannot drive over 35 mph with these bushings bad unless you want to lose control.