1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
great suv
By bk on 10/14/09 08:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned 3 pathfinders along the way. First was a 1996 se, then went to a 2001 with the 3.5l and now I am back in a 1997. They all have been absolutely great vehicles! Never left me stranded anywhere, go through snow up to the bumpers, repairs are rare and they hold their value. The only complaint I had was going from my 1996 with 150,000 miles to the 2001 with 80,000 miles, I expected the same fuel mileage and was disappointed. A year later and I was back in the 1997 and regained some of the fuel mileage back again. This is a cant miss suv. Why pay thousands more for a 4 runner?

Good, solid, reliable vehicle
By Tim on 07/27/09 15:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 8/05 with 118K and it now has over 182K. Besides routine maintenance and tires, I have only had to replace a thermostat, water pump, and muffler ($600 total). I would recommend the vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable SUV.

Even more reliable than I am.
By Cee.PerezGo on 05/22/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has gotten me through thick and thin. I have been careless at times not changing the oil regularly but even so... it's still charging forward. I love to give her all she's got especially in parking lots, I feel like I'm flying a plane. I've had to replace the exhaust a couple of times as it rusts through as well as the runners. I have an oil leak in the engine but it's still going strong. A check engine light showed up about a week ago but my mechanic said it's nothing just a sensor near the fuel system. It's nothing important just related to the emissions. Otherwise a magnificent vehicle. Very comfortable as people always tend to fall asleep when they're driving with me.

no problems here
By augie on 05/13/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1997 Pathfinder new in 1998. Got a good deal on it. As our spare vehicle we only drove it about 4,000 miles a year the first 8 years. That all changed when our daughter started driving. She doubled the mileage in 3 years. It has had the normal things replaced/repaired. The A/C evaporator is the biggest so far. I'm very comfortable with our daughter driving it full time. It has to be inspected next month and if we get bad news we may look around at some other SUVs. We can't afford another Pathfinder. That Hyundai 10 year 100,000 power train warranty is looking pretty good.

My beautiful Pathfinder
By LOVETHESUV on 04/02/09 21:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Pathfinder up in Minneapolis. I love this truck. Its so much fun to drive. Its 5 speed 4x4. It seats higher than all other SUV's and Jeeps. Lots of ground clearance. Love the durability of the interior and exterior. The engine really roars! Great power. Must have 5 speed with this truck! I enjoy this truck so much. I already replaced all hoses and belts, air filter and oil change. I spent $400 getting it repainted so it looks brand new! It turns heads. Love the seats. I feel very safe in my pathfinder. Only problem here is.......drumroll please....It needs a new manual tranny rebuilt and thats gonna cost me about $1500 to 2500. Ouch. But this truck will last4evR

Lucky owner
By Mark on 03/27/08 11:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this former lease vehicle with 36K on it in 2001. 4 weeks in the check eng light comes on. Dealer says too bad & deal with it. But was told that it would not effect engine and it hasnt. This has truly been a great vehicle for me. Has been in the shop 1 time (2002) for a non-wear & tear repair. Replaced the brakes/shocks/struts in 2005 for the only time. Has been paid off for over a year so I have definitely gotten my money's worth. I would buy this vehicle again in a heartbeat. Has definitely been a great experience to own.

Wonderful Vehicle
By anton on 12/17/07 07:45 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1997 in 2000 with 80k on it. I now have 235k. Over the last 7 years and 150 I have done little more than required maintenance. I have done the following one time: belts, alternator, shocks & struts, muffler. All fluids are changed regularly and I just did the second tire replacement. The only unexpected replacement was the rear trailing arm bushings that cost me 150 in parts and a few hours of work. The dealer will do it for about 650. Overall it has been an excellent reliable truck that I expect to see 300k without any major issues.

A great preowned SUV!
By Frank on 03/12/07 07:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with 106,000 miles on it only because it is a Nissan. Had it been any American car I wouldn't have considered it with that kind of mileage. I have to say what a great ride and feel it has. Still tight and quiet, like it was new! Very reliable as everything is in great shape. Very little signs of wear. The gas mileage has little to be desired, but is in line with todays SUVs gas mileage. Everything considered, I am extremely happy with this vehicle and would highly recommend it.

Poor performance, expensive repairs
By notsopathfinder on 10/09/06 14:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this vehicle used with 98,000. Good for first six months, after that, it got real expensive. Replaced both front struts/shocks twice in the same year, persistant belt noise. Rear suspension was crap. Seriously lacking power, even with the standard transmission. Repairs extremely expensive compared to my last vehicle, a Chevy. Wanted $350 just for one headlight, part only, that consistantly had water leaking in and blowing the bulb. Dealer service was horrible, bad enough that they went out of business. Above problems were from normal everyday road driving, no offroad, harsh use. Went back to Chevy because at least I can repair it at about 1/4 the cost of foreign autos.

Solid Vehicle
By Kevin on 08/13/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my second Pathfinder.I bought my Patherfinder with 47k miles from a local dealership and now have 117k miles. Other than the regular change of the timing belt at 100k miles, no real problems to speak of. Comfortable ride, looks great for a 8 year old vehicle! Only complaint is fuel economy; I have averaged around 15-16 mpg.