Used 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

great suv
By bk

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned 3 pathfinders along the way. First was a 1996 se, then went to a 2001 with the 3.5l and now I am back in a 1997. They all have been absolutely great vehicles! Never left me stranded anywhere, go through snow up to the bumpers, repairs are rare and they hold their value. The only complaint I had was going from my 1996 with 150,000 miles to the 2001 with 80,000 miles, I expected the same fuel mileage and was disappointed. A year later and I was back in the 1997 and regained some of the fuel mileage back again. This is a cant miss suv. Why pay thousands more for a 4 runner?

Favorite Features

4wd is awesome

Suggested Improvements

1996-1999 model needs more leg room for people above 6 ft tall.

Good, solid, reliable vehicle
By Tim

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 8/05 with 118K and it now has over 182K. Besides routine maintenance and tires, I have only had to replace a thermostat, water pump, and muffler ($600 total). I would recommend the vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable SUV.

Favorite Features

Roominess, reliability

Suggested Improvements

I average about 19 MPG (mostly highway)- could be better/could be worse

Even more reliable than I am.
By Cee.PerezGo

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has gotten me through thick and thin. I have been careless at times not changing the oil regularly but even so... it's still charging forward. I love to give her all she's got especially in parking lots, I feel like I'm flying a plane. I've had to replace the exhaust a couple of times as it rusts through as well as the runners. I have an oil leak in the engine but it's still going strong. A check engine light showed up about a week ago but my mechanic said it's nothing just a sensor near the fuel system. It's nothing important just related to the emissions. Otherwise a magnificent vehicle. Very comfortable as people always tend to fall asleep when they're driving with me.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort and resiliency. A big difference in 4WD mode. I can plow through anything. Transmission runs smoothly except it clunks hard sometimes.

Suggested Improvements

Weak in snow in 2WD. Can't even get out of an inch of snow. Acceleration needs to be quicker even for this model. Fuel efficiency. Rear seating could be larger.

no problems here
By augie

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1997 Pathfinder new in 1998. Got a good deal on it. As our spare vehicle we only drove it about 4,000 miles a year the first 8 years. That all changed when our daughter started driving. She doubled the mileage in 3 years. It has had the normal things replaced/repaired. The A/C evaporator is the biggest so far. I'm very comfortable with our daughter driving it full time. It has to be inspected next month and if we get bad news we may look around at some other SUVs. We can't afford another Pathfinder. That Hyundai 10 year 100,000 power train warranty is looking pretty good.

Favorite Features

It's quiet and that unibody suspension makes for a car like ride. It's real easy to zip in and out of parking garages.

Suggested Improvements

They already gave it a bigger engine, which apparently is still as thirsty. I test drove one when they first came out with the bigger engine. It wasn't any faster to 50 MPH than mine. Why bother trading.

My beautiful Pathfinder
By LOVETHESUV

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Pathfinder up in Minneapolis. I love this truck. Its so much fun to drive. Its 5 speed 4x4. It seats higher than all other SUV's and Jeeps. Lots of ground clearance. Love the durability of the interior and exterior. The engine really roars! Great power. Must have 5 speed with this truck! I enjoy this truck so much. I already replaced all hoses and belts, air filter and oil change. I spent $400 getting it repainted so it looks brand new! It turns heads. Love the seats. I feel very safe in my pathfinder. Only problem here is.......drumroll please....It needs a new manual tranny rebuilt and thats gonna cost me about $1500 to 2500. Ouch. But this truck will last4evR

Favorite Features

5 speed 4x4, love that this truck is 12 years and there are no cheap broken pieces in the interior. That's great. Shows a durable this truck is!

Suggested Improvements

Make transmissions last until the end of time...I know thats not possible.