Used 1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

So far so good. Nice SUV with gas mileage like a car.
By adspof

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

Just bought it after selling my 1996 Ford Bronco which I loved but at 11 mpg was beginning to feel the pinch. So thought a stickshift 2 wheel drive Pathfinder would do the same as I don't 4x4 ever really. I like the lite but sturdy feel and I just feel like I am saving gas as I coast everywhere in nuetral 1/2 the time and use the gas the other 1/2 it seems. Only issues have been general maintenance stuff I guess, as never had to deal with on the Bronco. I have already had to to the front struts, carrier bearing at center of driveshaft, right side exhaust manifold (cracked), charcoal cannister, trailing arm bushings to stop "pathfinder death wobble". If paid a shop $2,000 so did on own.

The design. It just looks sharp for being 1997. Seats fold flat pretty easily and good height to climb in and out of. Not really a good SUV for someone really tall or really fat because doors are tight, seat is tight and overall inside room tighter than say a Ford Escape. I am 5'10" 200 pounds so average and feels perfect. Like the stock wheels that came on the next level up from mine so bought a set with tires at local wrecker for $120 all 4. What an improvement over the silly steel wheels. Add some light tint all around and a pretty expensive looking ride in my opinion.

Knocks sensor goes out on these so locate it somewhere it can actually be serviced easily. My god under the manifold? Really? Guy on Youtube has "Pathfinder Knocks Sensor Relocation" video that is excellent. 4 hour job now becomes 20 minutes. Wonderful!! Also I assume Nissan redesigned the rear trailing arms so that when the bushings go bad you don't wreck. You cannot drive over 35 mph with these bushings bad unless you want to lose control.

Biggest piece i've ever bought
By kyle

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought this car used from my uncle with 98,000 miles and ever since I've owned it, it has been nothing but trouble. Replaced the manual transmission and drive shaft $1800. Struts and shocks are so bad the car wobbles as you're driving. The drive shaft has already messed up again just recently as an experienced owner I will never buy another Nissan any make or model.

i hate this car it is the worst car i have ever driven

the whole entire thing

Loved it-buying a new one
By Michael from AR

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I loved my Pathfinder and when I sold it a few months ago it was still going strong with over 168,000 miles on it. It went through ditches and it handled great in snow/ice covered roads last winter even though it was only a two wheel drive. It even pulled a 1 ton Dodge truck. I'm going to buy a new one here in a few weeks. I would recommend the Pathfinder. It was a great truck!

It was very comfortable and I loved the looks of it. Handled great in any kind of weather.

The only thing that they need to improve on, even in the new ones, is the stereo system. It's good, especially the Bose, but there's not much bass and it's easy to blow the speakers.

Extremely Reliable
By bigjno

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought this model because of its high ratings for reliability. I have not been disappointed. In 74,000 miles, the only thing ever to need repair was the cd player.

Good value
By MGibbs

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought the vehicle new and have had only a few problems. The manifold had a known problem that impacted my vehicle, so the dealership fixed that for free. The cd player went out, so I replaced it with an MP3 player. OTher than that the vehicle has always been reliable.

Utility, the thing is great for commuting and when you need to haul something smaller than you can in a pickup.

Even with the V-6 the power is a little less than overwhelming.