1997 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
READ THIS!!
By arob0505 on 06/16/14 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

My father bought a 1997 Pathfinder LE loaded off the showroom in 1997. He was a traveling sales rep and he sold me the car in 2004 with 265k. I drove it until it had 310k and gave it to my little brother in law for his 16th birthday present. He drove it for another year and a half and traded it in on a new Scion. I absolutely loved how smooth the tranny shifted, how quiet the engine was and how roomy the interior was. I loved it so much that I am buying another 1997 SE in 2 days! I think it is one of the best and most underrated SUV's ever made. It eats the snow and dirt and never dies. GET ONE!!

Loved it!
By prodigy1 on 10/10/13 12:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my pathfinder used for $3500 and it had 160k miles on it. It was the base model with a/c and a Manuel trans. It was rough around the edges but the interior had held up amazingly. Everything on the inside looked in mint condition. The a/c still worked great. The 4wd was amazing and functioned perfectly. I was rough on this truck but it never gave me any issues. Fitted a snorkel to it and hurricane season was no problem for me. It would go through anything! Overall a great truck. It was reliable and durable. I handed it down to my sister and she killed it by way of not changing the oil. It had 221k miles.

So far so good. Nice SUV with gas mileage like a car.
By adspof on 04/07/12 21:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

Just bought it after selling my 1996 Ford Bronco which I loved but at 11 mpg was beginning to feel the pinch. So thought a stickshift 2 wheel drive Pathfinder would do the same as I don't 4x4 ever really. I like the lite but sturdy feel and I just feel like I am saving gas as I coast everywhere in nuetral 1/2 the time and use the gas the other 1/2 it seems. Only issues have been general maintenance stuff I guess, as never had to deal with on the Bronco. I have already had to to the front struts, carrier bearing at center of driveshaft, right side exhaust manifold (cracked), charcoal cannister, trailing arm bushings to stop "pathfinder death wobble". If paid a shop $2,000 so did on own.

Fantastic First Car!
By Shea on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV

My great uncle sold this car to me cheap soon after I got my license last December. Now, it was in great condition mostly thanks to my uncle treating it like his firstborn son since he bought it in '97, but what a great car he chose! I've had it for almost a year and it's required shockingly little maintenance for a 13-year-old car. 130,000 miles hasn't slowed it down a bit. It drives great, even in bad storms and intense heat. My parents and I feel safe knowing that I have a sturdy reliable car to get around with. I was definitely dealt a good hand with my first car compared to some clunkers my friends were landed with. My compliments to Nissan, this sucker's going to last me for years.

Biggest piece i've ever bought
By kyle on 06/17/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I bought this car used from my uncle with 98,000 miles and ever since I've owned it, it has been nothing but trouble. Replaced the manual transmission and drive shaft $1800. Struts and shocks are so bad the car wobbles as you're driving. The drive shaft has already messed up again just recently as an experienced owner I will never buy another Nissan any make or model.

great suv
By bk on 10/14/09 08:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned 3 pathfinders along the way. First was a 1996 se, then went to a 2001 with the 3.5l and now I am back in a 1997. They all have been absolutely great vehicles! Never left me stranded anywhere, go through snow up to the bumpers, repairs are rare and they hold their value. The only complaint I had was going from my 1996 with 150,000 miles to the 2001 with 80,000 miles, I expected the same fuel mileage and was disappointed. A year later and I was back in the 1997 and regained some of the fuel mileage back again. This is a cant miss suv. Why pay thousands more for a 4 runner?

Best vehicle I've ever had
By Gary on 08/12/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV 4WD

When the recession hit, I could no longer make monthly car payments so I saved up some money and bought my used 97 pathfinder with cash. I researched and found this is one of the best SUV's for reliability. I replaced all belts, hoses, water pump,timing belt and bought 4 new tires. I recently drove this on a 3000 mile trip and it did wonderful. I love this truck despite that it does get thirsty. This vehicle will run for another 100,000 easily. Love it.

Still the one
By hmp49 on 07/29/09 13:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Mileage, handling, braking, transmission, better than when it was new. Engine is smooth as silk. Changing oil every 3,000 miles, transmission every 30,000, serviced only at dealer. Using Michelin Mud and Snow tires with Nitrogen really brought up the MPG, get an honest 19 mph on the highway.

Good, solid, reliable vehicle
By Tim on 07/27/09 15:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 8/05 with 118K and it now has over 182K. Besides routine maintenance and tires, I have only had to replace a thermostat, water pump, and muffler ($600 total). I would recommend the vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable SUV.

Even more reliable than I am.
By Cee.PerezGo on 05/22/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has gotten me through thick and thin. I have been careless at times not changing the oil regularly but even so... it's still charging forward. I love to give her all she's got especially in parking lots, I feel like I'm flying a plane. I've had to replace the exhaust a couple of times as it rusts through as well as the runners. I have an oil leak in the engine but it's still going strong. A check engine light showed up about a week ago but my mechanic said it's nothing just a sensor near the fuel system. It's nothing important just related to the emissions. Otherwise a magnificent vehicle. Very comfortable as people always tend to fall asleep when they're driving with me.