1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Trouble free
By Spiff on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new 1996 4WD LE , and just turned 110K miles. Very reliable. Non-maintenance repairs: Throttle positioning sensor and washer pump at 50K miles.($150, $100) O2 sensor at 110K miles($300). Ground harness for emissions system needed at 110K miles, and Nissan did repair under warranty, even though it was 10K past! So less than $600 in repairs over six years and 110K miles. All else was maintenance- replaced nissan struts with KYB ones at 60K- improved handling. Replaced CD player (80K), which had begun to get hot on drives over 3 hours, otherwise, wouldn't have noticed.

Dependable Delight
By Thanks2Calvary on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not a single mechanical problem in 97,000 miles. Wow! Good torque. Pleasant ride. Does better pulling the boat than I thought.

Best SUV we've owned.
By kayakers2 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Left our home to buy a 4 Runner that we had been inside and loved but had never driven. 1 mile latter we were shopping again. We have driven it for 3 years and it has always performed as it should.

Great Budget SUV
By gone4seconds on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

I bought one used based partly on Edmund's reviews and I have'nt been disappointed. Lift hatch could open a tad higher, may son and I are tall and we constantly bump our heads. Engine is a little underpowered and gas mileage could be better but for a good budget SUV it's tough to beat. Ride and comfort are okay but this is still basically a truck and rides and drives like one. Originally bought as a 3rd vehicle but I now drive it more than our other cars.

Not bad but not good
By carshopper on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

The engine is strong and reliable. Had to replace the water pump after 45K miles. Changing the oil is a pain due to the oil filter is located under the plastic skid gaurd. It has to be taking out everytime you change the oil. The suspension I would rate very poor. After 60K miles of highway driving, I had to replace the torsion bars, ball joints, and RF cv joint. The car does seem to be built solid as there are no annoying little rattle after 90K miles. The radio is cheap and my power attenna broke after 50K.

Falling apart; No more Pathfinders
By Nomorepathy on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

The wheel bushings shredded on me twice, causing it to sway during normal freeway use. $800+ each time. It rattles at 1800 RPM-3 dealers and 5 mechanics have never located/fixed. The CD stops playing on long trips and just clicks away. The seats are painful on long trips. The fuel gauge drops from 1/4 tank to E in 25 miles. The gas pedal sticks and has to be kicked at stoplights to get going. I have a $3k estimate for: check engine light, leaky water pump, leaky transmission, leaky muffler system, new throttle sensor, dead A/C, wheel bushings (AGAIN). If you see my black car at a dealership in the next few months, run.

these trucks are great
By m- on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

My Pathfinder is hands down one of the best trucks I have ever driven. It's as solid as anything, the suspension makes for a great ride and good handling on a variety of road conditions, and the 3.3L engine is big enough for all my needs. I've taken it through axle deep snow and mud in 4x4 and never got worried even though we were 20 miles off the main road. All pieces on it seem to be built to last; even the buttons (except the somewhat crappy radio) are solid to the touch. But the real test comes on rough roads: cross several sets of railroad tracks or run up a forest service road in spring, and you don't hear a single rattle.

Great Car
By sweet_thing on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about it. I wish gas was a little bit better. Handles great off and on road. 4-wd was great during winter. I will always own a nissan, now and forever. Its a great over all car.

Nissan Pathfinder 96'
By Pantherfan on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

So far so good! Great car!

Did I make a mistake
By Michele Edwards on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is fun to drive and reliable on the road. Only minor problems come up such as the accelarator sticking due to carosion, the CD player messing up. It accomadates children nicely and I love my Pathfinder. I will definately buy another one.