Used 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

practical
By oldtimer

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in 2000 with 40,000, now it has 130,000 on it and the engine still runs well. Overall I have been very pleased with my pathfinder. It is very reliable, the only problem that i have had is an occasional starting problem which my local nissan dealer was unable to completely repair. That was at 100,000. The gas mileage is lousy, and the pick-up is below average when compared to newer SUVs. However I prefer the less aggressive exterior styling of the 96-99 pathfinders. The car is incredibly practical I have used this vehicle and nothing else to move my furniture 3 times in 6 years. The 4wd has got me out of a few jams over the years also.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, overall fit and finish(much better then my wifes beetle, sight views when changing lanes, cargo space, 4wd, keyless entry, decent cup holders, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

better radio(replaced at 85000, better gas mileage or more power I know it is a trade off but this vehicle lacks in both departments

Love this old thing
By Jeannie

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

10 years old and I keep waiting for this old guy to start having problems, but so far it goes when & where I want it to. Big enough to haul anything I need to, small enough that it's maneuverable and doesn't make gas a budget item, even at $2.50. It's comfortable, has great visibility for the driver all around and it's just plain pretty. At 10 years old it doesn't look dated at all. Had to replace the exhaust manifold, struts & shocks about 3 years ago, but beyond that it's been only oil, brakes, etc. The worst thing about this old guy? Its radio buttons started popping off a few years ago and I've lost several of them. Everything still works, just don't have all the buttons ; )

Favorite Features

Classic styling, reliability, comfort, lots of small, convenient storage spots for small items, maps, emergency equipment

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat isn't as adjustable as the driver's seat & doesn't seem to be as comfortable for somebody w/ back problems. No complaints from teens, just from the older folks on long trips

just needs more hip & leg room
By DD

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is there for me. I am so confident in it starting and being a good responder to my quick needs. Love the car. I'm just under 6', so naturally it would be wonderful if Nissan figured out that most Americans are not short and 90#s. Duh! I'd give up some of the hatch space, say 5 inches or so to get more leg room in the front and the back seats.

Favorite Features

Quick response to speed needs in heavy traffic. Easy to park, easy to enjoy long drives in. Peppy and cute! Can you tell I'm a woman? They make great used cars folks. I plan on getting a second one, quite possibly.

Suggested Improvements

Just a pillow under me once I've done more than 3 hours, is all I need. And of course the 4 more inches of leg room. 3 more inches of hip room would be ideal.

Best car I've ever owned
By dontwalk

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

Over the years, I've traded Fords & Chevy's every 2-4 years. I've had my Pathfinder going on 10 years. Outside of the 3 recalls in the first few years, having a temporary problem with brakes (who I blame Just Brakes - not Nissan) and having to replace the starter twice, my Pathfinder has been a good car. The only gripes that I have are the same ones that most owners have had. Poor gas mileage and low engine power. I'm starting to get the "new car itch" and am going to look closely at the Pathfinder as well as the Murano.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better gas mileage

A Fond Farewell
By JDFinnell

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

After nearly 10 years with my Pathfinder SE it is, regrettably, time to trade. My Nissan has been the best vehicle I have driven so far. In 116K miles it has only had two minor problems to speak of. In '00 there was a nagging engine power problem that took three visits to correct. In '01 the A/C quit and the compressor was replaced. Not bad, altogether. On the plus side, the 4WD system has always been there for me, the interior is comfortable, the finish is perfect, and all the electricals have worked flawlessly since I drove it off the lot on May 8, 1996. My hat's off to Nissan for hitting this one out of the park. If you are looking for a reliable SUV, this should be on your list.

Favorite Features

Ergonomic arrangement, easy to read gauges, interior design.

Suggested Improvements

The '96 needed more power, which came on a couple of years later. You still can't beat this Pathfinder design, though. In my book the new ones are a step backward.