1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Old Faithful
By bill on 07/22/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is part of the family. The '96, my wife's vehicle, currently has over 243,000 miles on it. Over the past 6 months a few things need attention but overall this SUV has been a pleasure to own. I do not have one complaint other than the MPG, but I can deal with that knowing I always had a vehicle I could count on. We recently purchased a Honda and I have having a hard time parting ways. Great SUV, built solid and tickled to death that I have able to own a vehicle I could believe in.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Curt on 03/03/09 07:38 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder in 99 with 34000 miles on it. Now, almost 10 years later, it has 170,000. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only non-maintenance items were a manifold, that Nissan covered, and rear suspension bushings. Otherwise, the Pathfinder drives like it did the day I bought it. Fabulous reliability!

SnowTank
By Andy on 12/14/08 08:41 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Found the truck of my dreams the day I found my '96 Pathfinder "SnowTank". This vehicle lived up to its name: I used it for work in upstate New York year round for 6 plus years and never was left stranded in the snow. With 263,000+, it's time to start looking for a replacement. It's like replacing the family pet. Started using synthetic oil at 40,000 and have had no major engine issues. Started up reliably in sub-zero weather and maintains the the same 17-18 mpg I got when I bought it. The five speed transmission gave me even more control in bad weather as well as put the "sport" in "sport utility". The clutch was replaced at 175,000 without problems since. Suspension bushings at 200,000.

Great car in college
By smithrep on 04/11/08 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder used and it was a great vehicle the whole time I had it. I always drove everywhere while in college and my roomates and friends always piled into the back. I never had a problem with it for the time I had it until the end when I traded it in. I honestly think I waited too long without changing the oil and it started smoking heavily. That was my fault though :(

Poor Gas Mileage
By curt on 12/08/07 14:51 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this vehicle, it seemed at the time to get pretty good gas mileage, but now, after tune ups, ect, it seems to be at its worse.I think I get around 13-14 mp/gal. Lately, the vehicle woobles when I am at speeds of 60-70mph. So bad that I have almost lost control a few times. I have replaced the starter 3 times and the manifold twice. I believe the ole 96 is about gone for me. I believe a trade in is coming soon. If you see a forest green 96 pathfinder on the lot turn the other way.

just needs more hip & leg room
By DD on 02/18/06 15:24 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is there for me. I am so confident in it starting and being a good responder to my quick needs. Love the car. I'm just under 6', so naturally it would be wonderful if Nissan figured out that most Americans are not short and 90#s. Duh! I'd give up some of the hatch space, say 5 inches or so to get more leg room in the front and the back seats.

A Fond Farewell
By JDFinnell on 10/10/05 07:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

After nearly 10 years with my Pathfinder SE it is, regrettably, time to trade. My Nissan has been the best vehicle I have driven so far. In 116K miles it has only had two minor problems to speak of. In '00 there was a nagging engine power problem that took three visits to correct. In '01 the A/C quit and the compressor was replaced. Not bad, altogether. On the plus side, the 4WD system has always been there for me, the interior is comfortable, the finish is perfect, and all the electricals have worked flawlessly since I drove it off the lot on May 8, 1996. My hat's off to Nissan for hitting this one out of the park. If you are looking for a reliable SUV, this should be on your list.

The Overall Best SUV...
By Jabez on 03/04/05 00:34 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 96 used not quite a yr ago. I had around 87K from the 2nd owner who bought it of a lease in 97. I have done nothing to it other than two oil changes, previous owner was the same with two t-ups (1 brk job, 2 sets tires) and one window solenoid...that's it four 8yrs?! Still is mostly original (including the exhaust?!). Sure the 4 rnr may have one or two things over the pathfinder, but I don't believe it's worth the price difference (plus pathfinder has nicer intereor) better overall styling. Body is still rust free...no squeaks and still tight. Great job on this one Nissan...and the newer 3.5L engine...Wow, the one thing it lacked POWER (01 and up models)!!!!!!

great car
By sojana on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car. I have it paid off now but I have no reason to get rid of it. I think this was one of the best investments I have made. It has been dependable and even eight years later it still has today's style.

GREAT CAR
By CKOTA1 on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

WE HAVE HAD IT SINCE EARLY 03 AND HAVE ONLY HAD TO CHANGE 02 SENSOR AT 85K. I CHANGED THE GAS CAP AT 82K. REPLACED STEREO AT 85K. NOT TO BAD