1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
17 Years old and still going!
By cathcall on 07/13/13 13:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

This 1996 Nissan Pathfinder is my third vehicle. The first time I toke this pathfinder for a test drive i fell in love! Out of all the vehicles I have owned and driven this one is truly the best! All the build materials used don't feel cheap it all feels solid and when you close the door you can hear the quality that was put into this SUV.

16 years old and still going strong
By gpapgar on 04/07/11 20:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

At almost $4.00 a gallon, I'm driving it less and less. I was riding home from work this winter in the dark and enjoying the Christmas lights at 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) from the back of my even-more-ancient Yamaha. But, mpg aside, when I do drive my 96 Pathfinder, I have an absolute sense of confidence. At 16 years old with only 95000 on the odometer, I think I could get another 16 out of it. Nothing has gone wrong with the vehicle since I have owned it (second owner). Recently, at about 90000 miles, I replaced the timing belt and water pump just because it was time. Most of the exhaust system was rotted away this year. $400 later, with a shiny new exhaust, we're still just rolling along.

Old Faithful
By bill on 07/22/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is part of the family. The '96, my wife's vehicle, currently has over 243,000 miles on it. Over the past 6 months a few things need attention but overall this SUV has been a pleasure to own. I do not have one complaint other than the MPG, but I can deal with that knowing I always had a vehicle I could count on. We recently purchased a Honda and I have having a hard time parting ways. Great SUV, built solid and tickled to death that I have able to own a vehicle I could believe in.

The old toy!
By eric on 04/10/09 09:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned it from new! gave her a name then and Jenny has never let me down.. until last week! she and a Dodge ram got into a tiff.. But thats ok cause Jenny is in getting a 4800 facelift.. one of the best trucks i have ever owned i use it for work to fire hall. in northern ontario she has no problem going through 3 feet of snow! belts, brakes and wipers and tires.. and struts but that cheap if you do it your self! $400 bucks..

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Curt on 03/03/09 07:38 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder in 99 with 34000 miles on it. Now, almost 10 years later, it has 170,000. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only non-maintenance items were a manifold, that Nissan covered, and rear suspension bushings. Otherwise, the Pathfinder drives like it did the day I bought it. Fabulous reliability!

SnowTank
By Andy on 12/14/08 08:41 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Found the truck of my dreams the day I found my '96 Pathfinder "SnowTank". This vehicle lived up to its name: I used it for work in upstate New York year round for 6 plus years and never was left stranded in the snow. With 263,000+, it's time to start looking for a replacement. It's like replacing the family pet. Started using synthetic oil at 40,000 and have had no major engine issues. Started up reliably in sub-zero weather and maintains the the same 17-18 mpg I got when I bought it. The five speed transmission gave me even more control in bad weather as well as put the "sport" in "sport utility". The clutch was replaced at 175,000 without problems since. Suspension bushings at 200,000.

Great car in college
By smithrep on 04/11/08 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder used and it was a great vehicle the whole time I had it. I always drove everywhere while in college and my roomates and friends always piled into the back. I never had a problem with it for the time I had it until the end when I traded it in. I honestly think I waited too long without changing the oil and it started smoking heavily. That was my fault though :(

Poor Gas Mileage
By curt on 12/08/07 14:51 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this vehicle, it seemed at the time to get pretty good gas mileage, but now, after tune ups, ect, it seems to be at its worse.I think I get around 13-14 mp/gal. Lately, the vehicle woobles when I am at speeds of 60-70mph. So bad that I have almost lost control a few times. I have replaced the starter 3 times and the manifold twice. I believe the ole 96 is about gone for me. I believe a trade in is coming soon. If you see a forest green 96 pathfinder on the lot turn the other way.

Superb
By Dutch on 06/29/07 11:22 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Ten and a half years of trouble-free performance. Excellent build-quality; still no rattles. The vehicle has been totally bullet-proof.

It keeps on ticking
By edwin ballow on 05/24/07 21:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Almost 200,000 miles and almost no problems. The car actually gets better with age. I'm getting the best mpg ever from 17 to 18-19 consistantly. With 200,000 miles I'd trust it to go cross country in a heartbeat. I treat it rough and ugly, then clean it up and it looks great. Nissan does not focus on mpg. If you have one, put in a K&N air filter for more power and put on tires rated for low rolling resistance to increase the mpg.