Used 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Old Faithful
By bill

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is part of the family. The '96, my wife's vehicle, currently has over 243,000 miles on it. Over the past 6 months a few things need attention but overall this SUV has been a pleasure to own. I do not have one complaint other than the MPG, but I can deal with that knowing I always had a vehicle I could count on. We recently purchased a Honda and I have having a hard time parting ways. Great SUV, built solid and tickled to death that I have able to own a vehicle I could believe in.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Curt

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder in 99 with 34000 miles on it. Now, almost 10 years later, it has 170,000. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only non-maintenance items were a manifold, that Nissan covered, and rear suspension bushings. Otherwise, the Pathfinder drives like it did the day I bought it. Fabulous reliability!

Favorite Features

4wd, ride and moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

slightly underpowered.

SnowTank
By Andy

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Found the truck of my dreams the day I found my '96 Pathfinder "SnowTank". This vehicle lived up to its name: I used it for work in upstate New York year round for 6 plus years and never was left stranded in the snow. With 263,000+, it's time to start looking for a replacement. It's like replacing the family pet. Started using synthetic oil at 40,000 and have had no major engine issues. Started up reliably in sub-zero weather and maintains the the same 17-18 mpg I got when I bought it. The five speed transmission gave me even more control in bad weather as well as put the "sport" in "sport utility". The clutch was replaced at 175,000 without problems since. Suspension bushings at 200,000.

Favorite Features

Rugged, excellent poor weather handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage

Great car in college
By smithrep

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Pathfinder used and it was a great vehicle the whole time I had it. I always drove everywhere while in college and my roomates and friends always piled into the back. I never had a problem with it for the time I had it until the end when I traded it in. I honestly think I waited too long without changing the oil and it started smoking heavily. That was my fault though :(

Favorite Features

Different shape, not the average Jeep Cherokee.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior design.

Poor Gas Mileage
By curt

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this vehicle, it seemed at the time to get pretty good gas mileage, but now, after tune ups, ect, it seems to be at its worse.I think I get around 13-14 mp/gal. Lately, the vehicle woobles when I am at speeds of 60-70mph. So bad that I have almost lost control a few times. I have replaced the starter 3 times and the manifold twice. I believe the ole 96 is about gone for me. I believe a trade in is coming soon. If you see a forest green 96 pathfinder on the lot turn the other way.

Favorite Features

It is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

everything, especially the gas mileage.