Used 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Nissan ruined this car with the poor frame material they used
By solstice7

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD

The Pathfinder itself as a vehicle is queen of snow and off road. It always starts and runs. Never broke down on the road. However theed very poor quality material used in the frame is apparent. I paid 4600k for it with 56k miles about 4 years ago. I have spent 6k rebuilding every part of the frame you can think of to pass inspection twice now. Not sure if it will pass this year for either frame issues or steering rod issues-1996 was recalled for rusted out steering rods but not the 1995. If you can weld then its a great off road, snow vehicle, otherwise expect to pay for some type of frame rebuild. Do not expect this it be a quiet or pretty ride-its all utility.

Favorite Features

4x4 capabilities are incredible. I have driven through some serious snow and never even put it in 4L yet. just the normal 4x4. I cant imagine what the 4L can do.

Suggested Improvements

How about nissan take responsibility for the poor material quality on the frame and offer a frame inspection and rebuild? these cars can run forever and its a shame so many are not in use all because of bad materials used in the frame.

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD
By cwade

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Just purchased my 95 pathy a few months ago. Since then, I've replaced all plugs and plug cables, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, engine wiring harness (frayed wires to injectors), thermostat, a tension rod (front left broke from rust), O2 sensor, and now just found that the front right CV boot is cracked and the other is on the way. I've been turning a blind eye to the major rust on the frame. The list will never end with this truck (yours may be better). If you live in a 4 seasons kind of area (I'm in MN), I'd look for a newer model. If it weren't for the fact that I have to drive this, I'd take it back. Surprisingly, the interior is great- all the lights work, windows, etc.

Favorite Features

I have 31" tires with black rims, brush guard and roof rack with lights which improves the aesthetics (if you're into off-road aesthetics). Awesome for non-city driving. Power everything, cruise, sunroof and key fob with alarm is nice as well.

Suggested Improvements

Build the frame out of something that is less susceptible to rust! I agree with the oil filter complaints as well. And cup holders! Despite my review, I will continue to fix this truck because I already feel attached to it-- and it's not too terribly difficult to work on....yet.

Can't stop it!
By Brian

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

My Pathfinder had over 220k's on it when I bought it and it had 280k on it when I got rid of it and it doesn't owe me a penny. I had it for 3 years and it never let me down. I only had one problem and it was tricky to solve as my mechanic raised his arms and said he couldn't figure it out. (after charging me $135.00). It would start sporadically every 10 to 15 cranks. My genius brother-in law told me to raise the hood and try tuning the key. Voila! it started no problem. Turns out it was a faulty relay switch; cost me $35.00 to fix. Overall I loved having a 4x4 in the harsh Canadian winter. (Drove a dirt road to work with lots of snow-drifts.) Not a luxury ride but competent.

Favorite Features

4X4 was great. Shift on the fly locking hubs were a bonus that came in handy when diving in mixed conditions. If you find one without rust, i would recommend it if you want a solid 4x4 to get you around in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Rust was a problem as most of them do.(check under the driver's side floor where the exhaust bends up towards the underside). Gas mileage poor, i calculated it at 400 km to a full tank(77 Litres) in the city and 450 hwy. That's approx. 12.2 mpg/city, 13.75 mpg/hwy.

Great All Around
By hikeit

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is great to drive everywhere. From camping, to around town, to snowboarding, and on the interstate. After 220k miles she still loves to get up and go. I have (and recommend) a 5 speed, which helps with the hills and gaining speed. This was my first Nissan, and I have been impressed so far. I bought it after reading comments on this sight and have not been disappointed. Mine has not had the rust problems mentioned elsewhere, so I guess I got lucky. I gave it a tune up, new Michelin m/s all season tires and keep the oil changed. This vehicle rocks in snow. Nothing seemed to stop the four wheel drive. Great for hauling kids, camping gear, and stuff from home depot.

Favorite Features

Looks even better with roof racks and larger tires. Great engine and 4wd is unstoppable. Interior seems to hold up well. love my 5 speed. lots of room. very comfortable. meets a variety of needs.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders. need them. the step bars are poorly designed. make sure the removable sun roof is securely in place or it will fly off. better gas is always nice, but mine gets 20 mpg after the tune up. I also use mid grade gas.

95 Nissan pathfinder SE
By truck hunter

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck in really rough condition as my first vehicle. The exhaust leaks, the frame is rusted, the suspension is shot. But this has to be the most reliable vehicle i've ever seen! in -10 degree weather it would start right up, and plow through 3 foot snow banks in 4WD L like they weren't even there. I've never had a problem getting it started, or getting it out of rough conditions. I even used it to tow my dads huge Dodge ram 1500 back when his tranny blew. I really love my "screaming metal death trap" as I call it. weather going 65 down the highway or crawling through snow and mud, this truck gets the job done!

Favorite Features

good acceleration with the 3.0L V6 4WD is a lifesaver around here 20 mpg isn't bad

Suggested Improvements

Very wide turn radius makes it hard to park. Speedometer will some times quit for a minute or so (A very common complaint) but it hasn't in a while.