1992 Nissan Pathfinder SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1992 Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Sort Reviews by

Teenager's first car, still lovin it.
By davidjayess

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

I am 17, and my red '92 pathfinder is a hand-me-down from my stepdad. It's a 5 speed, and it never breaks. Ever. 280K and counting! It's fun to drive, and I have the OEM metal bumper guard on the front and the swinging metal gate with a spare on the back. My friends and I feel more safe and comfortable in this car than any of my friends feel in their own! The car has personality, and that's hard to find these days. If I shift low and coast in neutral often (I live in a hilly place) I can get between 18-23 mpg. I love that the car is high enough off the ground to keep me safer than, say, a sedan, but not high enough for me to feel disconnected from the road. It's also pretty easy to park.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By skresan

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

This truck has 230,000 miles on it and it going to my daughter. After all these miles the only thing it needs is a little suspension repair (ball joints and springs are worn). In still runs great. Always started up every time for 14 years of what I would say was very rough driving. It is a 2WD, but has the heart of a 4WD. This truck went almost everywhere in mountain and desert. I am going to miss my red SUV.

Favorite Features

Steel bumpers, steel spare mount, rear cargo space, sporty look ... everything.

Suggested Improvements

Make the new late model, useless soccer mom Pathfinders look and act like the old ones.

TANK
By Yogi1234

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car I've rear ended to cars and it hurt mine a little but not a bad as the others. I wish mine had a block heater for the winters in Montana. Starts every time unless its like 5 or below outside. Gets between for me 14.25 to 18.5 mpg in town and highway it gets 16.25 to 26 mpg. I love it to death wish I had less miles but o-well. If you buy one get the SE model not XE cause the SE has almost everything you want in the car.

Favorite Features

Handling and power switch

Suggested Improvements

BLOCK HEATER!

Solid truck
By Aree

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck when I started college and it has been great. The only thing that needed repair was the starter and the rear shocks due to a little offroading. It has lasted so well throughout the harsh ND winters and started every time. Pretty good when we are talking about a 17 year old car.

Favorite Features

Dependability, 5 speed tranny

Suggested Improvements

something for the inevitable rust, more powerful engine

fuel sending unit
By rring

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

Great truck, absolutely everything works! This V6 has a pump & sending unit in the tank, access panel on top. Ours was reading only in the middle. We cleaned the varestat with carb cleaner and scotchbright as well as the wiper. It works good as new, the tank is 20 gallons not 15 as listed in many manuals. We also installed a bull bar as the front end is weak.

Favorite Features

V6 runs cool in our hot desert climate, and is built like a tank, except for the front end, which we beefed up with a bull bar.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a bull bar, not a brush guard to protect front end, so you can drive after hitting something or being in a accident.

Fairly High Mileage
By 92pathfinder

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

5-spd. Bought with 125K miles, currently at 195K. Extremely reliable- -always starts. Have taken many trips cross country and would feel comfortable driving anywhere in it today. I average 17 mpg if city, 17 mixed and 20 on the hwy. Fairly comfortable seating position. I did 95 mph for a short jaunt the other night and it was comfortable and solid--yes, the engine still had capacity for more. Nice seating position--traffic never seems as bad when your above it. Have towed a trailer(denver-reno and back), various non-running vehicles and quite a few cars out of the deep snow. Am using Goodyear All-Terrain T/A-they work well with the vehicle. Narrow body is great between trees.

Favorite Features

Adj. suspension-sport setting makes it very stable down mtn passes. There is only one barely noticable sqeak in the interior--solid construction. Good visibility. UTILITY-put a frig in back once, gate can be left open & tied across to extend cargo room. Alpine deck w/ stock spkrs surprising good.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius & power. It is what it is: reliable & solid. Won't win you any racing awards no matter how fast you work the gears but you can always count on it to be there for you.

Would Buy it again
By Ken

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I still own this Pathfinder and have 146 thousand miles on it. replaced the brakes and rotors few times, also replaced the distributor,also had to replace the transmission but that could have been from being hit in the rear end.Had some problems with air conditioner.Tires are real tricky on the Pathfinder must be matched and balanced for good road performance. This car would go another 146 k thousand but the body and frame are rusting out real bad. Engine dose not use any oil. Very dependable will miss it when gone.

Favorite Features

Easy maintaince, great handling especially in bad weather,dependability,

Suggested Improvements

Needs improvement on body rust starts too early in life of car, cup holders,

Solid, reliable SUV
By Badstink

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

Haven't had a major problem in all 12 yrs. Only needed standard maint such as brakes, muffler, fluids, filters, tires, etc. For a 1992 SUV, the Pathfinder has plenty of power and acceleration. Only the 92 Explorer and Cherokee have similar power. The 92 4Runner is a dog. Back seat has lots of legroom. I'm tall and like to push the driver seat all the way back. None of my passengers ever felt the leg room was cramped. Back seats also have multiple tilt levels and offer very nice comfort. 4WD is sweet! I've used it many times on ski trips and for off-roading on logging roads. On the negative side, it has several squeaks.

Favorite Features

The 92 Pathfinder has an "E-AT" button on the dash that allows you to increase the shift point by 1000 RPM. This is incredibly useful when climbing hills on the highway. I can fly up hills better than most cars can. Auto-locking hubs mean you don't have to get out to engage 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof wasn't an option on this vehicle.

1992 Pathfinder XE
By David94112

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

This is a solid SUV. I have over 210k on my Pathfinder and It's still going very strong. It's just passed smog with flying color. I have not have any problem with this SUV since the day I bought it. Oil change every 5k miles, and follow normal maintaince schedule. Very solid vehicle... I got my money's worth. A little bit Under Power.

Favorite Features

Solid, and very Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the design simple.

Great Car
By AndyT_03

1992 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is excellent in all kinds of conditions. Such as Cold Weather, Extreme heat and Humidity. Very Realiable.

Favorite Features

Four Wheel Drive is one of the handiest aspects of the car. And in second place- Comfort the seats are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better acceleration speeds.