Used 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Built to last
By angel

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv at 107000 miles and a brand new transmission, four years later and an extra 43000 miles, she is still going strong. I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, and alternator. For the age that she is, she has been very reliable for the most part. I would definitely recommend this car to someone.

Favorite Features

It's like having a truck and car all wrapped up in one package.

Suggested Improvements

The horsepower and gas mileage are poor and the seats are uncomfortable on long drives.

Reliable. Will not die.
By Robert

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my pathy for almost 10 years now; bought it used in 2000 from a guy who babied it. I've treated it pretty harsh.. lot's of offroading excursions and suspension damage. But the pathy always seems to survive... I can't seem to kill it. The only major repairs I've done are suspension (most likely my fault) and I had to replace the clutch hydraulics at 140,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I love the way this thing looks. I like to thing its timeless future-retro offroad styling. It also handles well offroad to boot.

Suggested Improvements

The adjustable suspension doesn't really work as advertised. The offroad capability is a trade for on-road comfort. Not everybody that gets in thinks the seats are comfortable. Closing the doors sounds like you're dropping a tin can. The exhaust manifold leaks like crazy and is un-fixable.

1990 Pathfinder SE
By NewEnglandRover

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Awesome truck, Nissan definitely did a good job and built it to last. Got used with just under 100,000 miles and it is still running strong with 235,000 miles. Only work done besides the basics (tires brakes belts timing...) was a transmission around 160,000 miles. Really shines offroad and in the winter with the 4x4. Just starting to rust, but after almost 20 years of reliability it is to be expected.

Favorite Features

I have had 2 other cars since purchasing this for $1,000 and it has outlasted both! 4x4 is great The most reliable car I have ever owned (recently drove to CA from MA with no problems)

Suggested Improvements

Could use just a little bit more power, and the mpg's could be a little bit better (I average 21)

My '90 Pathfinder
By bobholz

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had the Pathfinder since it was new and only had to replace a heater sensor in the first 10 years. After it was the usual maintenance, muffler, timing belt, tires, manifold bolt, and brakes. It is an exceptional vehicle that I take on long trips, because it is to reliable and fun to drive. "like handling a car on a rail"!

Favorite Features

handling, reliability, looks

Suggested Improvements

horsepower, it is under powered for my liking! And the gas mileage could be better than the 20 mpg (highway) that I've get.

My '90 'Finder
By Bob

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Great overall vehicle, hope I can find another as reliable and economical when it finally goes. Used as a daily driver for over 9 years, as well as going skiing, camping, and horsing around off-road. True all-in-one vehicle. Never let me down or stranded me once. I've even had good hiway gas mileage, up to 24 mpg. Most newer "value priced" SUV's (Xterra, etc.) don't have all the features/capabilities this one had.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, braking - 4 wheel disc brakes (notice how a lot of newer don't have?), and overall value. The adjustable shocks (sport/touring) are cool too.

Suggested Improvements

Would've been nice to have more power/torque... maybe a diesel version like they had in Australia for towing? Interior was so-so, especially compared to today's luxed out vehicles.