1990 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Reliable. Will not die.
By Robert on 12/05/09 13:18 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my pathy for almost 10 years now; bought it used in 2000 from a guy who babied it. I've treated it pretty harsh.. lot's of offroading excursions and suspension damage. But the pathy always seems to survive... I can't seem to kill it. The only major repairs I've done are suspension (most likely my fault) and I had to replace the clutch hydraulics at 140,000 miles.

1990 Pathfinder SE
By NewEnglandRover on 05/13/09 15:49 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Awesome truck, Nissan definitely did a good job and built it to last. Got used with just under 100,000 miles and it is still running strong with 235,000 miles. Only work done besides the basics (tires brakes belts timing...) was a transmission around 160,000 miles. Really shines offroad and in the winter with the 4x4. Just starting to rust, but after almost 20 years of reliability it is to be expected.

Excellent 4x4 rig
By '90PathyOffRoad on 02/08/08 23:06 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I live in a rural area where four wheel drive rigs are a part of life, and this pathfinder is one of the better 4x4s I have ever driven. If you are looking for a "soccer mom" car, get a van. On the other hand if you are looking for a small affordable 4x4 that can go anywhere, get a Nissan Pathfinder. It has the ground clearance and power to get anywhere you want and is still small and light enough to get decent (about 22 mpg highway) millage. The only downside is that the XE model does not come with a limited slip in the back, reducing performance somewhat in snow / mud, but it is otherwise an excellent vehicle.

Built to last
By angel on 10/18/07 13:47 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv at 107000 miles and a brand new transmission, four years later and an extra 43000 miles, she is still going strong. I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, and alternator. For the age that she is, she has been very reliable for the most part. I would definitely recommend this car to someone.

Like a Swiss watch
By Pick-a-nick Basket on 07/05/07 22:28 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this thing on an impluse and had a nice surprise. I replaced the timing belt and this thing is like a new truck! Plenty of power, quiet inside and amazingly reliable. Electrical can be a little squirrely, so get a pro for that. Sound system is great. Mine has a cloth interior and still looks amazing for it's age. All this for $1000. What a deal.

Chevrolet Trader
By "Happy Camper" on 08/16/06 15:58 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

After selling Chevrolet Truck's for more than 25 Years and becoming ill and lost my demo I found myself on our used-up car lot and after finding this little suv sitting on the "Rock Lot" this is where they keep the cars the can't sell for one reason or another any way I had the lot porter wash it and then I had it checked by the service dept. at that time it already had 104 K but every thing checked out good so I had all the fluid's changed, the AC charged and a new set of tires and she was ready to go and that was 7 years ago and it has been the best suv I have ever driven! soon to hit 200K and I drive it almost every day with the knowledge that she has not ever left me stranded !

My '90 'Finder
By Bob on 01/25/06 13:43 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Great overall vehicle, hope I can find another as reliable and economical when it finally goes. Used as a daily driver for over 9 years, as well as going skiing, camping, and horsing around off-road. True all-in-one vehicle. Never let me down or stranded me once. I've even had good hiway gas mileage, up to 24 mpg. Most newer "value priced" SUV's (Xterra, etc.) don't have all the features/capabilities this one had.

My '90 Pathfinder
By bobholz on 06/20/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had the Pathfinder since it was new and only had to replace a heater sensor in the first 10 years. After it was the usual maintenance, muffler, timing belt, tires, manifold bolt, and brakes. It is an exceptional vehicle that I take on long trips, because it is to reliable and fun to drive. "like handling a car on a rail"!

Love my Pathfinder
By Samantha Moore on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the most reliable auto I have ever owned. In fourteen years the only repairs were to replace the timing belt (it didn't break - Nissan recommended it be done) and I had some brake work this year. It could get through snow a little better, but all in all I have loved owning this car.

Still Going Strong, and Heading Off-Road
By Nakoosa on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Parents purchased this base model, brand new in. 2-doors R-A little bummer, but rubber floor thruout is prfect for real 4-wheelin'! Lightness and narrowness add to the overall off- roadability. Completely stock, wheeled 4'snow, 3.5' deep mud puddles, and am waiting for summer sand and rocks. Plans are: 3" susp. lift, 31" M/T tires, slide bars, ARB front bumper and 9K winch. 123K miles and running as if new. seats r firm, ride is comfy, and a spirited joy! 4 cylnder = Much better mileage than 6 & 8 cyl. hogs, and 4low gets up most any hill that's not going to toss the truck over backwards. Very fun, on and off road!