Used 1990 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Most Helpful|
Excellent 4x4 rig
By '90PathyOffRoad

1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV

I live in a rural area where four wheel drive rigs are a part of life, and this pathfinder is one of the better 4x4s I have ever driven. If you are looking for a "soccer mom" car, get a van. On the other hand if you are looking for a small affordable 4x4 that can go anywhere, get a Nissan Pathfinder. It has the ground clearance and power to get anywhere you want and is still small and light enough to get decent (about 22 mpg highway) millage. The only downside is that the XE model does not come with a limited slip in the back, reducing performance somewhat in snow / mud, but it is otherwise an excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

Excellent vehicle reliability, easy maintenance, ready availability of parts.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a limited slip in the back, fuel economy does leave a little to be desired, although it is not bad for a 4x4

Reliable. Will not die.
By Robert

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my pathy for almost 10 years now; bought it used in 2000 from a guy who babied it. I've treated it pretty harsh.. lot's of offroading excursions and suspension damage. But the pathy always seems to survive... I can't seem to kill it. The only major repairs I've done are suspension (most likely my fault) and I had to replace the clutch hydraulics at 140,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I love the way this thing looks. I like to thing its timeless future-retro offroad styling. It also handles well offroad to boot.

Suggested Improvements

The adjustable suspension doesn't really work as advertised. The offroad capability is a trade for on-road comfort. Not everybody that gets in thinks the seats are comfortable. Closing the doors sounds like you're dropping a tin can. The exhaust manifold leaks like crazy and is un-fixable.

1990 Pathfinder SE
By NewEnglandRover

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Awesome truck, Nissan definitely did a good job and built it to last. Got used with just under 100,000 miles and it is still running strong with 235,000 miles. Only work done besides the basics (tires brakes belts timing...) was a transmission around 160,000 miles. Really shines offroad and in the winter with the 4x4. Just starting to rust, but after almost 20 years of reliability it is to be expected.

Favorite Features

I have had 2 other cars since purchasing this for $1,000 and it has outlasted both! 4x4 is great The most reliable car I have ever owned (recently drove to CA from MA with no problems)

Suggested Improvements

Could use just a little bit more power, and the mpg's could be a little bit better (I average 21)

Like a Swiss watch
By Pick-a-nick Basket

1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this thing on an impluse and had a nice surprise. I replaced the timing belt and this thing is like a new truck! Plenty of power, quiet inside and amazingly reliable. Electrical can be a little squirrely, so get a pro for that. Sound system is great. Mine has a cloth interior and still looks amazing for it's age. All this for $1000. What a deal.

Favorite Features

The radiator fan makes this roaring sound when starting up and running in low gear. Silly, I know. But it gets a lot of looks. The square corners and smart-looking lighting really stand out in the "sea of fishbowls" you see around these days.

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be better. I get 17 city and 21 highway.

Built to last
By angel

1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv at 107000 miles and a brand new transmission, four years later and an extra 43000 miles, she is still going strong. I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, and alternator. For the age that she is, she has been very reliable for the most part. I would definitely recommend this car to someone.

Favorite Features

It's like having a truck and car all wrapped up in one package.

Suggested Improvements

The horsepower and gas mileage are poor and the seats are uncomfortable on long drives.