LOVING my first SUV
By jshankman on
2012 Nissan Murano LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
As my kids got bigger I knew my 8 year-old 2-door Solara convertible needed to be replaced. I was looking at the Toyota Venza and Nissan Murano and felt on the major specs, they were very similar. The Murano's luxurious interior was what sealed the deal for me. I got the LE with the Platinum package and while it's not as fun to drive as a 2-door sports car, it does just fine on highways and locally in terms of acceleration, cruising, and stopping. It feels SOLID with no shake as trucks whoosh by me. The kids LOVE all the room and the well placed rear vents. Husband loves the toys!
Favorite Features
LOVE the heated steering wheel! The dual sunroof is awesome! Remembering I came from an 8 year-old car, I'm overwhelmed by all the features. LOVE the Bluetooth and vehicle phone directory along with steering-wheel integrated controls....all of which let me place phone calls without having to fumble for my phone. I love the seat settings memory and love that the seat and steering wheel slide back and up to make exiting the vehicle easier. The nav system is easy to work and read and very user-friendly.
Suggested Improvements
Honestly...I've put under 100 miles on this so I'm still in that in-love-honeymoon phase. As of right now, no suggestions for improvements. Many reviews I read sighted poor rear visibility...but coming from a 2-door convertible with a much smaller rear window, the rear visibility is GREAT for me!
By jshankman
on 03/04/12 07:22 AM (PST)

Now that I've owned this for a few months, I do have a few comments of things I found that I DON'T like: 1.) I wish the buttons on the mirror for the garage door openers were illuminated. I can't tell you how many times I've opened my husband's garage door because I can't see which button I'm pressing. 2.) I wish the rear seat warmers would reset whenever the vehicle was turned off. My kids will sometimes use them and they stay on FOREVER. I know...not wasting energy or wearing out, but just bugs me. 3.) It seems like when headlights are on "automatic" they're either totally off (as in NO daytime runners), or totally on (like for typical nighttime driving). There doesn't seem to be an option to have the daytime runners on during the day and everything on at night. 4.) Not sure if it was just a bunch of weird things coming together...but last night I had the two rear windows opened about 1/3 of the way and it created a HORRIBLE noise as well as some odd pressure issues that caused my ears to HURT from the pressure. It was gone as soon as I opened my driver's window about an inch...but still...I often drive around with my dogs and open the two back windows but leave mine closed. Of course, there are also things I DO like: 1.) The rear seats recline! Awesome for kids to chill or nap on the LONG road trips we often take. 2.) The sunroof has a little piece of netting that comes up when the roof is retracted which really helps reduce the noise! (It does get all buggy though!) 3.) I love the keyless entry/start!

By dgs4
on 03/05/12 22:48 PM (PST)

"I'm still in that in-love-honeymoon phase." Yeah, wait until your first car payment is due, that will end the honeymoon phase real quick (as it does for most new car owners).

By tabnbruce
on 05/15/12 08:41 AM (PDT)

Do you find the cargo area to be big enough? We are considering buying a Murano but my only concern is if we could fit luggage for 4 people in the back when we do a road trip. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

By jshankman
on 03/22/12 07:43 AM (PDT)

Nope...I knew what I was getting into when I bought this. I put my time into researching the vehicle I wanted to buy and that research included knowing what I was getting for my money. Sure....I'd rather have the cash in MY account...but I also needed a new vehicle. In fact one of the things that pushed the Murano over the other vehicles I was looking at was that I found I got a lot more for my money with the Murano than with its competitors. Buying a car isn't just about the car...it's about how to pay for it which includes the car and the maintenance and the gas. So even now that I've made payments, I still love it!

By musmm3
on 05/19/12 20:45 PM (PDT)

I have a question about the visibility. It seems that the frame of the car on the front passenger side between the front windshield and the passenger window obstructs a great deal of the view of traffic approaching from the right. Have you noticed this as a problem? I noticed it both times I test drove the car and I can't say I've ever noticed it in any other car I've driven. Most other things about the car I reallly like.

By grizzlyss
on 07/23/13 21:00 PM (PDT)

How is the rear seat heating and cooling been? We have 2 huskies and they want lots of cool air.