Used 2010 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

CVT transmissions are from the Devil
By nathan

2010 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2010 Nissan Murano, SL, AWD. First noticed transmission oil leak at 20K on garage floor. Maybe tablespoon full of fluid, Took to Lee Nissan in Topsham, Maine and techs could not locate the leak. Drove car directly to my personal mechanic who located the leak within 30 seconds of having the car on his lift. Leaking transfer case at the impellar shaft. Took it back to Nissan who all of a sudden, could also see the leak! 'Fixed' under warranty. At about 48K, noticed leak again. Same runaround with Lee Nissan of Topsham. Fixed under warranty. Fast foward to 77k on odometer. Wife is driving on highway and transmission stops working. Car towed to Nissan who states that both Tranmission an

Favorite Features

AWD transfer case are shot. They'll cover Transmission but transfer case is on me since it hadn't been checked by one of their mechanics. I didn't think the fluid would need to be checked so often....after all, they had worked on it almost every 20k since I owned it....you'd think they'd have checked it themselves when it was in for one of it's 3 'fixes'.

Suggested Improvements

Buying this car is akin to urinating into the wind. The CVT transmission is made of paper mache' and will last about as long. I don't think it ever worked correctly. In and out of the shop every year for repairs and fixes, all of which never really worked. You'd like to think that spending $38k on a vehicle would bring a modicum of reliability. Not in the case of Nissan. Run far away from any Nissan product sporting their CVT transmission. It is a real turd. Nothing but problems and pricey repair bills. I don't purchase another Nissan product. Compare this to Toyota, who replaced my entire truck frame due to rust issues. Gratis. Now Toyota knows customer service.

Transfer case problem
By mudder4

2010 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've had my Murano 19 mo. and have enjoyed the style, handling and fair gas mpg so far, avg. 23 mpg overall. Last mo. noticed oil seeping from the transfer case, took it to the dealer thinking oil seals needed replaced and was told the complete transfer case would be changed. Four days later it was fixed, (free rental car was given), and everything seems fine now. After reading many stories online about transfer case and cvt trans. problems involving earlier years I'm a little concerned that they may not have been rectified.

Favorite Features

I still like the exterior styling and after 10 hours driving seats are still comfortable. GPS system, while not always user friendly, is very helpful. Bose system with Sirius radio is always great on long trips.

45,000 Update
By billiebad

2010 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Still very happy with the vehicle. No repairs just normal maintainence through 45,000 miles. Tires will need a refresh at 50,000. Leather looks brand new. Love the wide cargo area in the back - great for golf clubs. Fun to drive for an SUV. CVT will remain a worry until the newer models show they hold together than the 07 and earlier models.

Favorite Features

The cabin in general is great.

Buyer Beware
By sgtrock62

2010 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was my wife's car. We both absolutely loved it. One morning at o dark thirty, my wife was on the way to work with our grandson in the car to drop him off at daycare. The car started slowing down to the point that it wouldn't go any further. My wife and grandson were stranded on a dark highway with no street lights. Bottom line, at 40'000 miles the transmission went out. The car has been at the dealership for over a week now. They are waiting on a new transmission to come in. It projected to to be ready next week. I'll believe that when I see it. In the mean time, I'm stuck paying $200 a week for a rental car. Nissan won't pay the rental car even though it's a warranty service issue.

Suggested Improvements

Do your research. There are numerous issues out there with the Nissan CVT transmissions. I wished I would have knew this before I bought the car.

Absolutely love this vehicle!
By avmnsww

2010 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After many weeks of research & test drives, I purchased a 2010 Murano SL with leather, moonroof, bluetooth, ipod, upgraded Bose stereo, Homelink, backup camera. I researched and drove: Honda CRV, Subaru Outback; Subaru Forester; Volvo XC60; Volvo XC90; VW Tiguan, Kia Sorento and (but didn't drive) Audi Q5, Rav4, so a very broad spectrum. The is by far the best value: more luxurious than Subaru, Honda, Rav4 and Kia; more for the money than Volvo and Audi; more space than a Tiguan; same or more power than most; same or better mpg than most. Nissan reliability (vs. Audi, Kia & VW). I love this vehicle and highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

Plush heated leather seats; Best in class space for 5 passenger SUV; Great performing engine (Nissan CVT); great blue color; reasonable (though not great) mpg; awesome bluetooth; Bose stereo; design that rivals Lexus and Audi; dual moonroof

Suggested Improvements

automatic headlights should be standard