Drive train failures. CVT and Xfer case issues. Don't buy Nissan! No Manufacturer Support!
By weightclub on
2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
It's too bad Nissan won't stand behind THIER product. They did replace the CVT (now that they extended the factory warranty to 10yr/120K) but our transfer case was leaking too (as so many of them have) and we were told it couldn't be rebuilt since it was one that had been made with a bad part! What floored me was we got NO help from Nissan at all with the cost of the replacement part. I even contacted the executive offices in TN. $3K later, I still have a metallic rattle when the CVT is trying to kick out of the first "gear" and after reading about how many others had the same issue, I am VERY worried I will have to replace both drive train components again if we hang on to the car.
Favorite Features
I love the look of the car.
Suggested Improvements
Nissan needs to back their product. Many BBB complaints and NHTSA complaints too about the drive train failures. Nissan told me they didn't have a "campaign" out about the leaky xfer cases since the NHTSA hadn't required them to. (Although many of the people who have had to get CVT replacements also have "un-related" transfer case leaks/failures) So, at least no one has died, but until they do, Nissan doesn't care about the quality of the vehicles or the consumers that buy them. A 2009 with under 100K and 2/3 of the drive train fails, ridiculous! The tech stated it was due to a run of bad xfer cases on some VIN's, but Nissan still won't acknowledge the problem and sticks us with the bill!