Used 2009 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Most Helpful|
It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!
By Debbie

2009 Nissan Murano SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Looked at the Muranos prior to 2008, about the time I decided to buy one, they stopped production (none in 2008). When production resumed in 2009 (for 2010 models) I hit the dealership. Found the one I wanted - exactly - and bought it. OMG! Fell in love that day and still in the honeymoon phase with this Murano.

Favorite Features

The ride is like riding on a cloud. Wow, what comfort. Wouldn't hesitate for one second to get in and hit the road for miles and miles. Love the bells and whistles - controls on steering wheel, nav system, backup camera is so nice. Simply love this Xover.

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility and gas mileage could be better. Short of that this is a perfect ride!

My disappointments
By oldmrt

2009 Nissan Murano SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Problems with leaking head gaskets, leaking transfer case (twice repaired), defective engine mounts and seat positioning number setting that never holds seem to be common with Murano 2009 owners and we are no exception. At 70,000 miles the car is showing all the signs of a Lemon. Up until now we were strong supporters of the Nissan line, but when the manufacturer does not stand behind a chronic problem I think it's time to look at other manufacturers for better warranties and better quality

Favorite Features

The seat comfort has been our favourite feature. We also enjoy the on-board computer telling us of our MPG, miles to our destination and where we are on a map are also features we enjoy and have come to expect on our next vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest suggestion we have is for Nissan to improve their quality, standing behind the product when there are chronic problems/weaknesses and keeping up with other manufacturers with features offered and MPG.

Drive train failures. CVT and Xfer case issues. Don't buy Nissan! No Manufacturer Support!
By weightclub

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's too bad Nissan won't stand behind THIER product. They did replace the CVT (now that they extended the factory warranty to 10yr/120K) but our transfer case was leaking too (as so many of them have) and we were told it couldn't be rebuilt since it was one that had been made with a bad part! What floored me was we got NO help from Nissan at all with the cost of the replacement part. I even contacted the executive offices in TN. $3K later, I still have a metallic rattle when the CVT is trying to kick out of the first "gear" and after reading about how many others had the same issue, I am VERY worried I will have to replace both drive train components again if we hang on to the car.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to back their product. Many BBB complaints and NHTSA complaints too about the drive train failures. Nissan told me they didn't have a "campaign" out about the leaky xfer cases since the NHTSA hadn't required them to. (Although many of the people who have had to get CVT replacements also have "un-related" transfer case leaks/failures) So, at least no one has died, but until they do, Nissan doesn't care about the quality of the vehicles or the consumers that buy them. A 2009 with under 100K and 2/3 of the drive train fails, ridiculous! The tech stated it was due to a run of bad xfer cases on some VIN's, but Nissan still won't acknowledge the problem and sticks us with the bill!

Meh. We are trying to get rid of it.
By md5045

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is the first review that I have written on Edmunds. We have had our 2009 Nissan Murano SL since early 2011. I am not a fan. Here is why: -- Not a comfortable ride. Very stiff and not agile at all. It is like driving a boat. The seats are comfortable but there is something with the suspension. --Doors are very wide. Hard to park in a normal parking spot. -- CVT (Transmission) is wonky. Not responsive and sluggish. -- Acceleration in general is bad. Not responsive.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good. Backup camera is cool. Seats are relatively comfortable. Good sound system (Bose) Relatively reliable. That is it.

Suggested Improvements

Nearly everything. I would not buy this car again if I had to do it over again. We are looking to get rid of it. It is not fun to drive. Hard to park. The minuses on this car far outweigh the pluses.

67,000 miles strong
By phantomteg

2009 Nissan Murano SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my S AWD Murano used with 9K demo miles on it. I love it as much today as when I bought it. I did have a noise come from the CVT transmission at 30K miles, it didn't break but was making a tick noise so Nissan provided me with a rental and replaced it with a new one. Since then I have Zero problems with the car other than regular maintenance. The original tires lasted me 66K miles. If I had to replace it today with someone else on the market I would get a 2011 Murano. During Chicago's blizzard last winter and with nearly bald tires I was still able to drive through 10 inches plus of snow without getting stuck!

Favorite Features

AWD, smooth ride and handling, seat comfort, modern interior.

Suggested Improvements

More options on entry trim level.